Author Topic: Why Is The Rohrbaugh Still So Rare?    (Read 9360 times)

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
Why Is The Rohrbaugh Still So Rare?  
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:44:49 AM »
I've been carrying my R9 for close to three years.  I know many of you have had yours for longer.   Still, almost no one I speak to knows about the Rohrbaugh.   Friends, shooters, and gun shop clerks mostly draw a blank when I mention it.  

My question:  Is the Rohrbaugh "rare" simply because of its (sort of) high price, or for some other reason?

I'd think that a revolutionary pistol with unparalleled specs and attributes would have swept the CCW world by now.  

Your thoughts?  
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Why Is The Rohrbaugh Still So Rare?  
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:56:01 AM »
My thought is, there have been only a little over 5,000 made since day one of producton, and advertising is not that extensive, so not everyone hears about the Rohrbaugh.  

Nearly two years ago, my home town dealer didn't know what a Rohrbaugh was either.  He does now.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:58:57 AM »
  I think it's a combination of things, availability (only five thousand 9mm made in six years) marketing and price. Pick up any gun magazine and you see ads for Ruger, S&W, Baretta and every other mass produced guns (and some custom makes). I can't remember ever seeing an ad for the Rohrbaugh.
  I think if Rohrbaugh did an advertising campaign they would not be able to keep up with the demand.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »
I do think advertising is a key player and you're right about keeping up with demand.  Production would definitely have to increase as well.  Rohrbaugh, at this point, may be where they want to be or not; that I can't answer.  

We all want more, then there's a limit to what can be done.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »
I had a conversation with Maria a few weeks ago and what she said surprised me a little. She indicated that the frames are supplied by a vendor and not made in house.  :o

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
That is a little surprising.  May be more economical that way for Rohrbaugh.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »
Frame and slides are made by a vendor. I am sure several other parts are outsourced too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:50:11 AM by FloridaCCW »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
I've been carrying my R9 for close to three years.  I know many of you have had yours for longer.   Still, almost no one I speak to knows about the Rohrbaugh.   Friends, shooters, and gun shop clerks mostly draw a blank when I mention it.  

My question:  Is the Rohrbaugh "rare" simply because of its (sort of) high price, or for some other reason?

I'd think that a revolutionary pistol with unparalleled specs and attributes would have swept the CCW world by now.  

Your thoughts?  

My thoughts, as requested.

Many of those who claim to be "experts" in matters relating to firearms and ammunition ballistics are actually quite limited in their knowledge of the subjects and make no real effort to engage in what might be called "continuing education." You can see them loafing around the counters of many gun stores -- posturing, gesturing, swapping lies, and generally "blowing smoke" at anyone who will listen. If such a person proves to have no knowledge of the Rohrbaugh line of pistols it may be assumed that he has made little or no effort to stay abreast of firearms development.  

And those are my thoughts on the matter, as requested.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rodell

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
You can couch it advertising, but, it is related to awareness.  I've been around such things all my life and I only heard about them by accident.  It wasn't an accident that I bought one.

Dealer programs, advertising, press (mags), internet - all have to be coordinated to get a slice of the public's limited time.

They may be quite happy with their current level of sales and not WANT to grow!

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
Is the outsourcing a fairly new development, or has it been that way all along?

Rick

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
Rick,
   At one time all aspects of the R9 were done in house from my understanding (with the exception of exterior finish and mags).
Here is a link to some good information and a factory tour that shows some of the slides being made.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/rofact-01.htm

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
that vender maybe next door in the same bldg., former employees Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
Frame and slides are made by a vendor. I am sure several other parts are outsourced too.

I've now read at different times, here on the forum, that the frames, slides, barrels, magazines, grips, springs and screws are outsourced and NOT made at the Rohrbaugh factory.  If this is true, it sounds like Rohrbaugh is now more of a assembly plant than a factory.   I still LOVE the R9 for what it is but it makes the early guns, that were "made" at the Farmingdale factory, by the Rohbaugh guys even more special.  (to me anyway)

I don't know why I find it disappointing that the parts are no longer made by Rohrbaugh but I do.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
Yep. Just to clarify, by vendor I meant NOT at the Rohrbaugh factory  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:07:33 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »

It seems to me that product quality and customer service is the key to success. Some firearms manufacturers have gone downhill in both departments but Rohrbaugh still excels in a superb product, perhaps better than the past. As long as they focus on Q/A the R9 should have a bright future.