Author Topic: Newb check in  (Read 8478 times)

Offline willy

Newb check in
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to drop in and say hi. I'm looking to pick up an R9 in the next few months, just waiting to find the right one. Hoping to learn a bit more about them in the mean time.
Thanks,
-Willy-

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Newb check in
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
Welcome Willy to a very friendly and informational forum.  Read the posts and ask questions when you have them.  There are some real experts here, and R9's come up on the classified section or you can ask The Irish Guard, a member here for help in purchase.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline willy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Awesome! I figure I may have to pick up a used one, so I thought it'd be good to build up a little credibility around these parts. ...not opposed to picking up a new one either, though.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Willy  :)

Smart move coming here first.  There are some wise gentleman here that can help you as Backup9 has stated; as he himself carries
some of that wisdom as well as an R9.

Learn what you can and teach us some things as well.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
And a welcome from me as well, Willy, together with congratulations on your choice of the R9.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum! :)

I hope you enjoy your new PUP when you get it as much as I do.  Be careful, they can be addicting.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
Welcome!  Thanks for saying hi and introducing yourself!

Offline willy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
You guys are awesome, thanks for the welcome! I've been looking around and reading threads already, seems like a pretty knowledgeable crew.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
Willy, welcome to the forum family. I can help you get a R9s of your choice, PM me with interest. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Faawrenchbndr

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »
Welcome, rather new here as well.

Recently picked up an R9,.......simply LOVE it!

Offline willy

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:22 PM »
Tom, sent you a PM.

Anything in particular I should watch out for? ...was there a bad generation, etc? I haven't read anything like that yet...

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
Welcome, Willy, and my suggestion is to buy a new one from Tom and avoid someone else's problems--kind of like buying a new car vis-a-vis a used one but more so.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
Willy, a welcome from me as well.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline willy

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Well, I really hadn't planned on buying anything for a couple more months, and I was going to go for a new gun at the advise of some on here, but something came up. I was just creeping around the internet last night and stumbled on an R9 for sale local about 5 minutes from my home. I called the guy up and he was the nicest, old retired guy, and we just shot the bull about guns for half an hour. Anyways, I still didn't think I could afford to get this one right away, but he ended up offering me the gun with all the paper work (including warranty), 5 replacement springs, 2 holsters, and a box of 40 Hydra-Shock 124 grain for $700. I just had to jump on it. The gun is like new, he says he has only put ~40 rounds of the 124 grain HS through is with zero malfunctions. 

I LOVE the Desantis pocket holster it came with. It also came with this one. It is for sale, because I am a lefty. Make me any kind of fair offer and it's yours.

...now just to figure out what rounds to carry in it, I guess I'll stick with the 124 grain Hydra Shocks for now since I have them, but might look into some Gold Dots.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »

That looks like a great buy, willy.