Author Topic: Screw bushings  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Screw bushings
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »
There are to many poblems with R9 screws! I guess I have been lucky. I have two R9s, one since 2004. and have not had a screw problem. I believe a large part of the problem comes from over tightening. We are told to keep the grips tight. The treads are very fine. I think people over torque them. It would not take a lot of force to damage the threads. I just snug mine CAREFULLY. They should have a 1911 style screw bushing that could be replaced.....JMO
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:58:17 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Screw bushings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Jack, The problem is usually with the allen head of the factory screw reaming out and not the threads on the frame. The factory uses Stainless Steel screws and it is softer than Alloy Steel screws.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: Screw bushings
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
Jack, The problem is usually with the allen head of the factory screw reaming out and not the threads on the frame. The factory uses Stainless Steel screws and it is softer than Alloy Steel screws.

Thanks...I remember you saying that in the past....I thought people had frame issues...... :-[
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety