Author Topic: Virgin shoot!  (Read 15383 times)

Offline walt_l

Virgin shoot!
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »
Well today was the day. I got my R9 last Saturday and took it out today. I've read a bit here but didn't see what diet it liked but for PD I thought Rangers were a good choice.

Loaded both Magazines and set my silhouette target at 15 yards.

Took aim and hit in the thoracic cavity first shot. Shots seemed a bit lower than POA but I still took the sucker down!

I decided a head shot was in order and took him down there too!

It is quite a kick but manageable.

The web of my hand between my thumb and forefinger took a beating but like I said it was manageable.

Next home to clean. I had already dripped my fuse holder and cut my q-tip so I was GTG.

I know it's got to get easier but for the most part It went well. Once I juggled things using a pencil to hold the slide back, the q-tip dropped the pin right out and the slide slid off.

Removing the rid and spring by hand was a piece of cake but when I tried to compress the spring to re-install I snapped the legs off the fuse puller but that made it just right.

I was kind of interested in the rifling. It was much wider than ANY I have ever seen.

I pulled a bore snake through twice and the groves still seemed to be dirty.

I gave it a shot of foaming bore cleaner, let it sit and then gave it another go with the bore snake. It still looked funny to me but I'm sure it's clean.

All in all a GREAT day at the range.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Virgin shoot!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
walt.  Excellent on your great day at the range.  Glad everything went well.  Continue to enjoy the little wonder.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »
walt_l,
Welcome to the forum and glad to read that you had fun at the range!

Many of us have commented that the barrel grooves seem to stay 'dirty' after cleaning.  It just seems to be related to how the rifling is machined into the bore.  Doesn't seem to hurt anything except my anal need to get things squeaky - clean!   :P

Here's how I handle re-installation of the recoil spring:
For compressing the recoil spring. I've turned to a cheap piece of plastic ruler.  The kind you find in a kindergartner's drawing set.  Just trim the width until it's narrow enough to fit inside the slide, then saw a slot in the middle of what's left.  Slot width equals the diameter of the recoil rod.  You can make three tools from one six inch ruler.  
When you go to install the recoil assembly and cup, stand it on end press down with your thumb until you can slide the tool between the end of the rod and the cup.  Position the recoil assembly between the slide and the barrel lug, pull the tool out, and you're done.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:41:18 AM »
Good report, Walt. Thank you and welcome to the Forum!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
Walt, welcome to the forum, enjoy it here. It sounds like you had a good day with the pup, carry it every day and feel secure.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Walt, Welcome and thanks for the report. To install the recoil assembly I use both thumbs and forefingers to compress the assembly and then slip it in. Several misfires at first, but now it's easy.

Rick

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »
walt_l

Welcome to the forum,and thanks for the great Pup report!!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
For getting the pin in and out, I can't recommend highly enough the method shown in the manual.  It really works.

Upside down in left hand, press slide back with right hand, tighten grip of left hand to hold in place.  Slight adjustment to tightness of left hand gives enough movement for pin alignment.

The only issue, when reassembling, is to watch your left index finger after the pin is back in and you release your grip.    :o

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
I do agree with this.  It does work.  Master the grip and that's the key.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »
I also agree it works, but anyone with arthritis or limited grip strength in there hand or fingers may not be able to do it. Having worked in the building trade for forty plus years I have a pretty good grip, so it works for me.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
I'll have to give you the arthritis part, ok.  But...

I'm a programmer.  If they're comfortable claiming weaker hands than an over-the-hill computer geek like myself, well...  ;)  ;D  ;D

[yes, I'm KIDDING]  :)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
RE: Virgin Shoot
I may be mistaken, but  in all countries and cultures with which I am familar, the shooting of virgins is relatively unknown and usually prohibited, because of the resultant diminution of an important local resource.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:33 PM »
Welcome Walt...you'll enjoy it here.  Great advice and always a good time.  Glad you enjoyed your first outing.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »

They disappear fast enough on their own.

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
Tracker:
This is true, but perhaps it's best to allow this to happen in accordance with 'natural processes', which in this regard seldom involve firearms in any helpful or moral way.
:)