Author Topic: Third Trip, First Hiccup  (Read 17546 times)

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
Third Trip, First Hiccup
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »
I made a quick stop by the range today to make sure my new Glock 17 functioned as t should; it did. I grabbed the R9S out of my pocket and proceeded to empty the mag. Two shots then failure to feed. The round was completely seated in the mag. It hadn't moved toward the ramp. I gave the slide a pull and it slid easily into battery and I continued to shoot. I'm thinking I may have had a slight limp wrist on the shot. In previous visits I had so consciously gripped the gun like I was making lemonade I wanted to relax the grip a bit. The next 5 rounds went without a hitch. Should I be concerned? I think this was an isolated incident.

A couple of days ago I took the R9 down and relubed. I tried Tetra gun grease since it stays put longer than oil.

Here's a pic. 7 rounds at 25 feet:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:30:54 PM by Jack_Bauer »

Offline firewalker

Re: Third Trip, First Hiccup
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »
    Good job shooting. I wouldnt to be to concerned as you find a grip and way to shoot your gun.
     Not to hijack your thread but last night at our local IDPA, we shot a bug match afterwords. I was impressed with the ease that the R9 does at run and gun speeds. ANd no i wasent as accurate as u were. ;o)

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
Fired my first formal qualification with my Robar R9 this week. 60 round course from 2-20 YARDS! The Pup was NOT cleaned prior to qualification and had been carried in a Meco pocket holster for five months. In fact it was dirty with 25 rounds. I wanted to see if it would fail. It functioned flawlessly! Passed with a 270 out of 300. I think 20 yards is beyond my ability with the Pup.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »
Great info on the Robar, 233; and 60 rds.  Excellent.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
Robar, sounds like the pup did pretty good, congrats.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
Jack, before I even got to your comment about limp wristing, that was the first thing that came to mind.  The reason was because you were previously shooting a very soft shooting gun which did not require the same concentration and power of grip.
I would not worry.  You nailed it.

Get it out of your head, or it will mess with you for a long time and you will lose confidence in your R9.

Shoot Straight
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:28:26 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
Jack, before I even got to your comment about limp wristing, that was the first thing that came to mind.  The reason was because you were previously shooting a very soft shooting gun which did not require the same concentration and power of grip.
I would not worry.  You nailed it.

Get it out of your head, or it will mess you for a long time and you will lose confidence in your R9.

Shoot Straight

Jack:

I would say that Reinz also "nailed it." In my opinion, his post is "right in the center of the 10 ring."

(Nice gouping, by the way.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
I made a quick stop by the range today to make sure my new Glock 17 functioned as t should; it did. I grabbed the R9S out of my pocket and proceeded to empty the mag. Two shots then failure to feed. The round was completely seated in the mag. It hadn't moved toward the ramp. I gave the slide a pull and it slid easily into battery and I continued to shoot. I'm thinking I may have had a slight limp wrist on the shot. In previous visits I had so consciously gripped the gun like I was making lemonade I wanted to relax the grip a bit. The next 5 rounds went without a hitch. Should I be concerned? I think this was an isolated incident.

A couple of days ago I took the R9 down and relubed. I tried Tetra gun grease since it stays put longer than oil.

Here's a pic. 7 rounds at 25 feet:

Jack.  Reinz makes a good point.  In light of that information  try shooting your R9 first at the range next time; just a thought.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »
I forgot to mention. All magazines used had the straight magazine extensions from Yankee 2500. I have a large hand and they make all the difference in the world for me. I tried the hooked model and it did not feel as good to me as the straight.
 Now that quals are done I will send them off to Robar for the old NP3.
 One other post mentioned letting the pistol cool between magazines. That was not an option for me. It was non stop and the pistol was hot going into the Meco pocket holster. I even had an ammo bearer loading an empty mag while I had the other two just to speed things up. I have not found this to be a fussy pistol. Maybe the NP3 makes a big difference with this pistol?

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:56:16 AM »
My opinion, i would not carry that gun for self defense until at least 75-100 rounds through it without a malfunction. I would think that even a bit limp-wristed, it would partially strip the round from the magazine. With an empty chamber and full magazine, draw the slide very slowly back and see if it starts to strip a round, and feed it, even if it hangs up at the ramp.  I expect it would. don't let your life or the lives of your family rely on the hope that that gun will mysteriously correct whatever caused the malfunction without attention.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:00:48 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »
I've had an R9 for about one year.  Early on had a few limp wrist type failures to feed, but carried regularly.  I leave the mag loaded and carry daily.  Recently went to the range for first time in months.  Loaded w/Speer gold dot...light firing pin strikes and no ignition regularly!  Changed to Hornady critical defense which fired but had some failure to feed.  It appears that the ejected case is catching on the rim of the next one up in the magazine...not always with the mag fully loaded.  I had about 100 rounds through the recoil spring, so I changed it and cleaned/lubed thoroughly.  At the range, again had one failure to feed due to ejected case catching the rim of the next one in the mag.  I'm afraid to carry this now and have switched to a Kimber ultra II.  Could weak mag spring be a problem?  Suggestions?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »
backup, Welcome to the group and sorry to hear about the issues with the pup.
  I would give Maria at the factory a call on Monday and see what she recommends.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
backupr9.  Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry as well that you are having those problems.  John has good advice to call Maria.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »
Sounds like a faulty extractor or ejector.  And maybe the breechface needs polishing.

The factory will fix it in a snap.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:08:43 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »
Thanks to all.  I'll give Maria a call Monday.  
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis