Author Topic: I was thinking about converting my Glock 29 or 21 into...  (Read 11374 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
I was thinking about converting my Glock 29 or 21 into...
« on: October 24, 2015, 04:57:08 PM »
460 Rowland  ;D ;D ;D

No this is not a  Halloween joke as scary as it may sound.

Anyone ever done it or fired one? Just in case I run into any Griz here in Indiana ya know.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: I was thinking about converting my Glock 29 or 21 into...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »

Maybe some rogue Elk in Elkhart?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »

Maybe some rogue Elk in Elkhart?

Ya never know.

It sounds like it has the power of a 44 mag out of a semiauto pistol. The kit comes with a muzzle break. Crazy.

MRC, any experience?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
All I know is what I have read and that is not much.

If I were going to build one, I would go the 1911 route and go with the Clark set up.  They are very talented Gunsmiths.

http://clarkcustomguns.com/parts-category/1911/

It is my understanding that the comp is a must as it is part of the design to add mass to the slide/barrel to make the whole thing work right.  Some recoil reduction would be nice also I would imagine.  ;)

Since you have the Glock, I guess that is the way you want to go.  The recoil would be quite substantial I would think.  I would forget about the 29 and go with the 21.  With the comp it is going to be a big gun anyway and the extra barrel length would be a plus.

My suggestion would be to get familiar with what Glock kits are available and then post a question on the 10mm Forum as to what they would recommend.  Being 10mm guys, most are very familiar with the Glocks and also several of them are shooting Rowlands of some kind.

There are about 4 or 5 guys that post regularly on that board that really know the workings of pistols and give very good and honest advice and are building and fitting their own pistols.

Good luck.

Added later

I thought that the Clark kit had to be fitted before I read their catalog.  For $295 I am tempted to give one a try Josh.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:25:22 AM by MRC »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »
Here's a pretty good video.  the recoil does not look that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGusmfjWSY

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
Very interesting--that could be a handful at 40,000 psi and almost 1000 ft/lbs. of energy. These guys shooting it in the video are gorillas compared to us mere mortals.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:13:46 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »
I agree tracker.  I do not have a 45 ACP Glock and the extractor on a 10mm won't work.

I have a Longslide Springfield Armory 1911 that I would like to try it in but I do not know what Clark would say.

I might have to ask.

Later

I got to thinking, the Longslides are a bushingless design, won't work.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:28:46 PM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the input MRC.

Interesting piece IMO.

44 mag power in semi auto. Hmmmmmm.

Eric, can you come up with a conversion kit for the R9 to 460 Rowland?  :o

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
I agree with you on it being an interesting caliber to try.

I talked to Clay down at Clark's today and he was a big help.  As far as recoil goes with a mid range load the recoil is about like a full powered 45 ACP.  He shoots one and the heaviest load that they have found is a 255 gr cast bullet load from Buffalo Bore and he says that is about like shooting a full sized 10mm.  The comps are heavy and they really reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

They sell the brass and 45 ACP dies are used to hand load the ammo which I have.  I have a pretty good supply of #7 powder and Power Pistol powder on hand so I went ahead and ordered the kit and 200 rounds of brass.  $360.00 total shipped Fed Ex.

The whole thing is a lot less complicate than I could have imagined and you still have your 45 ACP pistol if you want to convert back.

I bought a Colt Combat Elite that was slightly used and had good adjustable sights a few years back at a very good price to use as a project gun so the project finally came up.

Clay said that 90% + of the kits drop right in which is hard for me to believe but I gues I will find out.  I will have my Gunsmith who builds Competition 1911's check it over anyway.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
I agree with you on it being an interesting caliber to try.

I talked to Clay down at Clark's today and he was a big help.  As far as recoil goes with a mid range load the recoil is about like a full powered 45 ACP.  He shoots one and the heaviest load that they have found is a 255 gr cast bullet load from Buffalo Bore and he says that is about like shooting a full sized 10mm.  The comps are heavy and they really reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

They sell the brass and 45 ACP dies are used to hand load the ammo which I have.  I have a pretty good supply of #7 powder and Power Pistol powder on hand so I went ahead and ordered the kit and 200 rounds of brass.  $360.00 total shipped Fed Ex.

The whole thing is a lot less complicate than I could have imagined and you still have your 45 ACP pistol if you want to convert back.

I bought a Colt Combat Elite that was slightly used and had good adjustable sights a few years back at a very good price to use as a project gun so the project finally came up.

Clay said that 90% + of the kits drop right in which is hard for me to believe but I gues I will find out.  I will have my Gunsmith who builds Competition 1911's check it over anyway.

Lol. You so crazy. I like that about ya. I'll look forward to hearing how the project goes.

I'm thinking this would make a better bear gun than Glock 29 in 10 mm. I will likely use the 21 as you stated, but I guess in the end it's the same kit for both guns. .

Am I correct that all that is involved in the kit is a 23 lb recoil spring, threaded barrel and comp?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Here is what you get from Clark for $295.00. I am sure that the Glock kit would be different.  You get a 24# spring and a 20# spring both.  Clay said to try the 24# spring first if you are running full power loads.  Some all stainless guns won't run on on the 24# even with full power loads.(higher coefficient of friction)  If you what to load down a little, put in the 20#.  That is what I will probably do as I will be working up hand loads.

The directions for installation are very good I have heard.  They also send loading data.

Click on the image to view.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:04:02 PM by MRC »

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »

The video shown above also recommended a Glock magazine spring replacement to a heavier one but the shooter was using the factory magazine spring.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »

The video shown above also recommended a Glock magazine spring replacement to a heavier one but the shooter was using the factory magazine spring.

Ah yes. Thanks Tracker.

I wonder if that is recomended on the 1911 magazine.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »

I don't know but it makes sense to sync up the recoil spring with the magazine spring.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 10:35:44 PM »
Clark said nothing about the magazine spring and I failed to ask also.

One thing they did do was heap a lot of praise onto Johnny Rowland for the basic design.  I never looked into it before as I thought it was another one of these deals where "you send me your gun and $1200 and we will make it a magnum".

I really do not think that the slide velocity is changing that much that you need to change the mag spring.  The comp is on there more to add weight to the slide/barrel combination than to reduce recoil.  You can't do it with springs alone.  The recoil reduction and reduced muzzle flip are just a bonus.

All in all a pretty slick setup.  That Clark group is a real shootin bunch and Clay said they all shoot them.