Author Topic: 1911's. Not for now. I'm back in black (G27/33)  (Read 20701 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: 1911's
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »

Why not just buy a Colt Defender, be done with it, and make everybody happy with Josh's new gun wish?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Colt-Defender-Handgun&i=733119
Good Call!
I own a Colt Defender Slim ( with the Rosewood grips ),...a beautiful gun to shoot and carry!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »

I really like the Slim version; are those after market grips?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 08:17:11 PM »

Beautiful!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
You guys are great. I love all of the ideas.

For right now I really like the Wilson Combat, BUT I'm also big on at least trying to make myself believe someday I will be able to get my money back out of whatever I buy or if passed down it will retain said value.

I'm not thinking the Wilson or Ed brown or other items will do so.

The old 1998 colt CCO on the other hand is not to be found right now. I found one a few weeks ago and passed. Mistake. They have the cult status as some older colts do. Masada Ayoob also happens to carry one which probably helps with that cult status.

I think I will hold out to find a 1997-1998 original CCO and see what I can find. This should likely be the ticket.

If any of you see a decent one for sale please let me know. I have looked at all of the old standard sites and they have vaporized for now.

Thanks for all of the help making this decision guys.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:15:05 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »

Mas also carries a T3 and probably any number of other pieces depending on the flavor of the month:

"I’m writing this after 2 months with the Nighthawk T3 as my primary carry gun, loaded with Winchester Ranger-T .45 ACP 230-grain JHP. Modern bullets like the Ranger-T are designed to expand even out of shorter barrels. I acquired the T3 in 2009, before Nighthawk offered it in the lightweight format; done over again, I’d take the latter. The factory Colt sights on my lightweight CCOs are good, but the Heinie Straight Eights on my Nighthawk are better, hence the current preference. Even in all-steel format, they’re still slim 1911s that ride oh-so-comfortably inside the waistband, and in an outside the belt holster, the 4.25-inch barrel length lets enough slide ride against the hip to tuck the butt firmly and discreetly into the body."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/23/massad-ayoob-the-colt-concealed-carry-officers-and-its-niche-mates/#ixzz3sqQQa44D

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
I just sold my Colt Wiley Clapp CCO. What is the difference between that and a 1997-1998 CCO?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 11:35:12 PM »

The Wiley Clapp is a stylized version of the CCO.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »

The Wiley Clapp is a stylized version of the CCO.

If its the same gun as the other, why not get that one which is readily available instead of looking for a difficult to find older one?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »
Collectibility and desirability; It's the old story of an original compared to a knock-off. I don't have anything against a TALO Wiley Clapp CCO and according to MRC it functions quite well. I'm sure the AC Cobra functions well, too, but I would rather have a Shelby Cobra. Also, Colt is not the same company it was in the past.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:24:30 AM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »
I certainly understand your concerns about creating collectibles for collecting's sake as something that should not be done.

The TALO selections that Colt puts out do serve a purpose in my opinion.  TALO puts the specs together for a certain pistol that they feel is something that the gun buying public wants.  This way Colt can make a short run that they know is sold already to the TALO Dealers and make money doing it.

I like the Wiley Clapp CCO.  I have purchased a few others, mostly Gold Cups and Commanders in 38 Super.  Most, unlike the CCO, I have not shot but I do think they are good guns.  A lot of it is just "fluff" I know but I am OK with that.

Even on the Colt Forum, and a lot of them are die hard collectors over there and despise the TALO's as collector items, think that they serve a purpose of getting quite function guns from Colt out to the public.

One thing that TALO does is they put out runs of 250 to 400 guns at a time.  If they sell good and are in demand, they will do another 250 to 400 the next year also.  The unpopular pieces will probably hold their value better than the more desirable ones.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »
Thank you for the thorough explanation of their business model, Bob. I am all for anybody in the gun business who can make it work. TALO helps to keep the pipeline full for designated manufacturers and a lot of people employed who may not be otherwise.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:46 PM »
If I see the Talo cco in a LGS I will certainly have to check it out.

Thanks for all of the info guys.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »

Josh, the twelve step program does not mean 12 more guns. You have taken the first step in dealing with your problem and that is recognition and admission.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:29 PM »

Josh, the twelve step program does not mean 12 more guns. You have taken the first step in dealing with your problem and that is recognition and admission.

Haha. I hear ya Tracker! Oh well perhaps I will stop finding interesting things I need to try one of these days.

I have to be honest. I carried my ultra carry II the other day and compared to my G27 with a 357 barrel it was an anchor. And of course had quite a few less rounds on the person.

Then I took both to the range and my first shot with the Kimber let loose before I wanted it to. That 3-4 lb trigger is pretty light for CCW for me.

I shot it ok, but I just don't shoot it as well as the black ugly thangs.

I think the search is over before it really began.

The thrill is gone. Sorry to all 1911 lovers out there. All those that love the classic lines of the 1911. All of the  nostalgia. It's just not for me for ccw. They are pretty. I wanted to cc one, but not today.

I think that it's worth having the Kimber around to just holster up once a year to remind myself why I don't need to spend a other $1-3k on another one. Haha.

Back in black.

John Stuart Mill