Author Topic: Heizer is coming out with a pocket carry SEMI in .45  (Read 3763 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Heizer is coming out with a pocket carry SEMI in .45
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »
https://www.gunsamerica.com/l/9CD31E81-FCEA-4272-A1DC-D8F6C7057255/m8E7G/20160126_SHOT16_4.htm

Looks to me that someone is finally picking up on the Rohrbaugh concept of a pocket carry .45.

I've not ever really been interested in a Heizer, but if reliability is there I would consider this one.

It's no looker like my R9, but it's looks aren't that much of a deterrent to me.

Thoughts on a Heizer semi?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Heizer is coming out with a pocket carry SEMI in .45
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
The R45 Rohrbaugh was actually about the size of a 1911 Officers model and used the same magazines if I remember right.  Not a pocket pistol by any means.

The Heisers and Doubletaps are a novelty at best.  I have not heard of anyone even keeping them as a carry firearm.

At .8" thick the recoil would have to be extremely hard on your hand.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »
I shot one of the double barrel models to do a review.  Painfull recoil at best.  With gloves. 

Then it broke.

Not impressed.  I declined to review the gun.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:58:56 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »
Many of you have probably seen this review.  This is a Doubletap and not Heizer but the two companies started out together and split before production started.

Bruce has both barrels go off with one pull of the trigger.  Scary scene.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/09/doubletap-tactical-pocket-pistol-45-acp.html

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
The R45 Rohrbaugh was actually about the size of a 1911 Officers model and used the same magazines if I remember right.  Not a pocket pistol by any means.

The Heisers and Doubletaps are a novelty at best.  I have not heard of anyone even keeping them as a carry firearm.

At .8" thick the recoil would have to be extremely hard on your hand.

I see. I missed that defail. Thanks for the info Bob

The Heisers and Doubletaps are a novelty at best.

Not for this guy. No thanks.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »

Eric can comment, perhaps, but I think the dream of a upsized R9 into a pocket-sized R45 was deemed unworkable due to the laws of physics.   ;)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:21:12 AM »

Eric can comment, perhaps, but I think the dream of a upsized R9 into a pocket-sized R45 was deemed unworkable due to the laws of physics.   ;)

I believe that a pocket sized 45 acp pistol can and has been made without breaking any of the laws of Physics.

Now finding a human hand that is capable and willing to fire the pistol on a regular basis is very slim.

Maybe it is the laws of "Physiology" that deem it commercially unviable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:40:37 PM by MRC »