Author Topic: What has happened to Smith & Wesson?  (Read 3285 times)

Offline RAS-8533

What has happened to Smith & Wesson?
« on: November 23, 2007, 03:47:08 AM »

I was looking for a gun for CCW last week and my local shop had several to choose from. I liked a Smith & Wesson 637 airweight, but with only 5 shots I thought it would be good to have the lazar sights (to make every shot count). They told me I could save a little by ordering a new one with the lazar grips already on it. That sounded good so that is what I did. I went to the store on Monday, and it was in. We filled out the papers, I got a new box of shells (Magtech) and paid for everything. We then went into the shooting range (our local gun shop has a real nice indoor range) so they could show me how to use the lazar. I was very surprised when every 3rd or 4th shell didn’t go off. On top of that about 25% of the ones that did go off put key holes in the target. We then tried some hornady ammo and it did the same thing.

The gun shop called the rep. and he said to send it in. Now I have only owned the gun about 1 hour and the idea of patchen up my brand new gun does not sound right. I want to start over with a new gun that works, but the rep. tells me that’s too bad, send it in.  I called the head office and talked with two more company people and they tell me the same thing. Well so much for customer satisfaction! What in the world has happened to the quality that Smith & Wesson used to be known for? How could a gun with 2 major problems get through their quality inspections and what has happened to customer service?

If anybody would like this gun for a sales “DEMO” give me a call. I would just like to replace it with a similar gun made by a more reputable company.

Ralph Stanton
Savannah, Mo
816-262-0097

Smith & Wesson people I talked with:

Randy                816-407-1896

Paul Gazda       800-331-0852

Kate                   413-781-8300

Offline road_king

Re: What has happened to Smith & Wesson?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »
That is the pits I agree.  I bought a new colt python some years back and the timing was off and it dimpled the primers like yours.  I had to send it back to colt - I was not happy about that either!

Recently I bought a custom gun, had problems with it - was given another one.  Same problem - got my money back.  I should be upsed with the guy over the gun problems but at least I got my money back.

You'll have a good gun when you get it back!

Good luck!  

Offline RAS-8533

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:15:28 AM »
Road_King
I don't know if I am going to send it back or not. If we don't make a stand they will just keep passing this crap off on us. I am making a sandwich sign with a target on each side showing the key holes to wear to some gun shows.

Ralph

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »
Wait, they offered to fix it, right away and on their dime, and you're upset? I understand it's a bummer, but every company has a lemon once in a while, believe me. What they'll do is fix it, not send you a brand new one and send a happy girl to your house to give you a backrub.

Good luck finding "a more reputable company."  ::) Oh, and it's "laser."  ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:56:38 PM by Erich »

Offline RAS-8533

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 02:26:22 AM »
Erich, on some replies on other forums several people say that got direct replacement. It dosen't seem right they turn out a lemon and I have to take it. That is why I paid up for the S&W. I could use a backrub but I wouldn't want Kate to do it. She sounded mean. Thanks

Ralph Stanton

Offline Mardav

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:32:51 PM »
I picked up an airlite 340pd at the Orlando gun show last Saturday and shot 100 rounds through it on Sunday, no problems (but geesh does it recoil or what?) whatsoever, shot the R9 I got the beginning of the month also and no problems there either.  But I will say that after shooting these two guys, the .45 felt like a .22.
 ;D
Molon Labe