Author Topic: WD-40!!!  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: WD-40!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »
"Different strokes for different folks." I always have a can of WD-40 around, but I prefer not to use it on or around my guns. For one thing, I find that it tends to "gum up" over time. For another, I think it can play h*** with some cartridge primers.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I agree with the different strokes.  Really what an individual prefers.  I keep a can around as well.  Spray on hinges, whatever.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
The best use I ever found for it was many years ago, I had a truck, and the spark plug wires were in need of replacement. When it would rain the truck would barely run until I would raise the hood and spray the wires with
 WD-40, right after that it would run like a top. It is great for displacing moisture, but I agree with the getting gummy aspect.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
I agree.  We've got an old pickup that we restored two years ago, and I spray WD-40 all under the hood every couple of months.  Keeps all the hoses, spark plug wires, everything, looking new.

Had an old Ford Mustang and did the same.  The guy that bought it thought it was the cleanest engine he had seen in an old car.    

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:44:21 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline gdavis2265

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
In my old truck I use to spray it in the tail light bulb connections - kept them working without shorting out,

Glenn

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »

To paraphrase an old platitude:

"If it doesn't move and should, WD-40 it."

"If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it."

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
No question that WD-40 is a great "moisture displacer" & rust preventative.  I copied photos of a Brownell's rust test from about 4 years ago.  WD-40 was better than any of the other spray gun lubes and equal to greases like Cosmoline and Rig grease.  What I have is a copy/pasted mess that I can't post, but I've contacted Brownell's and asked if they have a link to the original article.

BUT
Don't you hate that word??  WD-40's lubricity was not very good.
Take a look at this info:
http://www.tetraproducts.com/images/Consumer%20Brochure.pdf  Of course, the info is from Tetra's site, so a grain or two of salt may be in order before swallowing......

I'd like to find some comparative test information on BALLISTOL, Richard S's favorite gun care product, but haven't been able to as yet.  

Every time I open my gun care supply cabinet, I feel a little like those hoarders you see on the cable channels.  I must have a sample of every firearm lube and grease made in the past 50 years.  From Hoppe's No. 9 to MilTec.  Personally, I keep coming back to:
1.Shooter's Choice spray action cleaner
2. EEZOX cleaner / lube / preservative (just bought a quart can direct from the manufacturer.)
3. SlideGlide grease from Brian Enos for the high load areas.  

Steve

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »

I'm with you on all three, Steve.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »

Two other products I would add to the list is Gun Butter, previously mentioned here but another one that has not appeared on this forum to my knowledge is Micro-X cleaner, safe to use on all materials. It is a very high grade aerosol spray can product.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/cleaners_pg/microx.html

Offline dano1200r

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
Karl Rohrbaugh recommends Hornady One Shot Cleaner-Degreaser and Dry Lubricant.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
Here's the link to the Brownell's rust preventative comparison:  
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10700/GunTechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

That's half the answer.  The other half is comparing the lubrication properties of the products......