Author Topic: My R9S is no longer a jam-a-matic  (Read 3486 times)

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
My R9S is no longer a jam-a-matic
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:57:35 PM »
I sold off my original R9S several years ago. I had a chance to buy it back for a reasonable price (cheap enough I could make a profit on it).

It never ran 100% and I was too lazy to send it in. It would typically fail to chamber the #3 or #4 round out of the magazine using WW Silvertip, it wouldn’t feed WW 9mm “White Box” at all.

My youngest son latched on to it as soon as I walked in the door with it (it was the first pistol he had ever shot).

He took it to the range and it wouldn’t feed ANY round, he was trying Geco ball ammo and Federal HST 150 gr 9mm Micro. He was convinced it was a magazine spring issue. BUT it wouldn’t feed out of any of the three magazines I had.

Well being there are NO replacement magazine springs available he decided to try using a Kahr 6 round replacement magazine spring. He ordered a new Kahr spring from Wolff and when it arrived I looked at it and immediately thought “that’s way too long”! Well he was able to install it and fill the magazine to full capacity.

He installed it and went to the range, seven magazines later he had ZERO malfunctions!!!

This was using Geco 9mm and Federal 150 gr 9mm HST Micro ammo.

I can’t get over how simple (and cheap) of a “fix” this was.
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: My R9S is no longer a jam-a-matic
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:01:32 PM »
Strange; Eric would love this one!

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:59 AM »
Im wondering if it has something to do with the feed ramp because now the magazine is over sprung which forces the round into the chamber by sheer force.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »
Im wondering if it has something to do with the feed ramp because now the magazine is over sprung which forces the round into the chamber by sheer force.

Don’t think so, the feed ramp is a mirror. The rounds would halfway chamber and stop with the nose of the round jammed into the top of the chamber.

Now it even is feeding the Federal hollow points.
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:56 AM »
This thread has me wondering if replacement springs designed for the Rohrbaugh will ever be available again.

Has anyone looked into seeing if Check-Mate sells them separately?

What about a group buy from Wolff to encourage a production run from them?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:09:47 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »
Check-mate had springs on their web page about a year ago before the new/last run of mags. I just checked and they are no longer listed.