Author Topic: Exotic Leather Holsters  (Read 12102 times)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
Re: Exotic Leather Holsters
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 10:04:40 AM »
Appreciate the info George.  I would not want to err and pay a lot for something that is delicate.  My holsters take a beating, especially when worn on my belt.  Looks like I can find one that is both beautiful AND tough.  Does anyone know who would make such a holster for the R9/R9S?

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 07:58:26 PM »
Hi Murray:

About half of all custom holster makers make at least one holster with exotic leather.

On this board, I'm the number one cheerleader for Ron Graham holsters.

RJ cheers for himself.

Duane (DDGator) is the resident cheerleader for KD Holsters.

The key is to first decide the design that you like. Then select the exotic that you want.

If you like black holsters, then sharkskin is a safe bet.

I own holsters made from shark, ostrich, and ray skin. I'd like to try elephant and water buffalo. I also like some lizards, but I don't know enough about the durability of the various kinds.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 09:48:12 PM »
George:
What would be the most durable for a beltslide holster.  The one that would be least likely to scratch when my fat hip scrapes against something?  

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 12:43:07 AM »
Rayskin is the most durable, but good luck finding someone who would make an entire holster from it--it is very difficult to work with.

Next is sharkskin. Extremely durable, easier to work with, and available for a reasonable price.

My recommendation would be sharkskin. It is beautiful, durable, fairly reasonable in cost, and it will out live you unless you go swimming with it daily in saltwater. More importantly, it is commonly used by holster makers so you would have a greater selection of designs to pick from.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2004, 08:36:57 AM »
If you go to Rafter S Gunleather's website (link below), you can see the holsters and belts they make out of various exotic leathers (as well as cowhide, of course).  I own one of their belts, but haven't tried their holsters at all.  Not trying to push their products, just thought the pictures might be good for seeing some of the exotics.  They have ostrich, elephant, shark, and I think a few others.

http://www.raftersgunleather.com/

--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »
Hi FJC:

Thank you for the link. Best photo of a holster made from elephant. Also, it is first time I saw a brown sharkskin holster. So it is possible to dye them brown. I always thought that sharkskin like horsehide is offered in any color so long as it is black. :)

I noticed that they specified "full quill" ostrich. They did that because you can also get a holster made from ostrich leg leather, which is a totally different texture.

Once again, thank you.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2004, 02:21:59 PM »
Would it be possible to make a front pocket holster, thin and with integral extra mag pocket, under the grip and a way to keep the take-down tool that we will soon have...

My needs:
1.  Front pocket
2. Middle finger slot to help push down, or hold down, while thumb and forefinger are removing pistol.
3. Very thin and durable for a lifetime of daily carry.
4. Absolutely NO printing of gun and mag because of flat outside - so that even when crouching, kneeling or sitting, there is no "gun" printing even to the trained eye, when trouser fabrric is pulled tightly over gun and holster.  
5. Slot or pocket for our new take-down tool, most likely across the bottom line or along the bottom line of holster.
6. A printing-through look that says wallet only and nothing else.  

* Perhaps the covering sheet, if required, to make the entire package look like a wallet, could even have a thin pocket for a single credit card, license, or a couple of folded bills, adding no thickness but a bit of added utility.

** All the chiropractors I know of - tell us to carry our wallets in the front pockets, shirt pockets (where mine is), in a shoulder bag or business case, ONLY... and never in the back pocket of slacks; so front pocket carry of wallets is customary and usual.  

I'd love to see one, and know the price!   ;D ;D
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2004, 05:40:38 PM »
I will ask Kevin about it -- I am sure it could be done.

Why would you want to carry the disassembly tool around though?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »
I'm sure I'd lose the tool otherwise...  and it sounds like it will be weightless almost. :)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 12:03:24 PM »
Hi Jody:

Check out this link: http://p081.ezboard.com/fgrahamholsterforumfrm7.showMessage?topicID=40.topic

Ron Graham can build a pocket holster with both a finger and thumb push off option. The photo (about 2/3 down the thread) is of a new design called the "Kentucky" named in memory of Will Mattingly (Kentucky Rifle of The Firing Line/The High Road boards), but the option is also available on the Maverick (A rear pocket holster with a removable anti-print panel) and the Night Owl, a more traditional front pocket holster.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 12:10:05 PM by GeorgeH »

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2004, 12:26:48 PM »
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrley is beautiful work!!!!

I guess it's time for me to make a call to someone.

Are there any of you engineer/machinists who are ready to sell me a pair of takedown tools?  Perhaps with a drive pin screwed into or onto one end, or somehow integral?  

With the tool, pistol and magazine(s) I could get off my duff and place an order.   ::)