Author Topic: A pair of Stealths - range report  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Blueeyedme

A pair of Stealths - range report
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:53:32 AM »
Our new Stealths arrived last week and today the SO and I finally got them to the range. These are both stock R9s with John's curved extensions and we both preferred using the extensions. We used ammo we had on hand - UMC - and as you might expect, we both had several FTFs usually cleared by pulling the trigger again. In one case she had to eject a round which I reracked and fired. In addition I had 2 FTEs with mine though it was early and I may have limp wristed it.  None of this was unexpected with the UMC and both guns were quite accurate at 7 yards.  We both thought the recoil was very manageable but i will need to change up my grip as the trigger guard smacks the knuckle on my trigger finger and took off a little skin which cut my session short.  There was one unusual event - at one point her slide locked closed.  The weapon was cool, she inserted the mag and was unable to rack the slide.  I popped the mag out and was still unable to rack it.  After putzing around a bit, suddenly I was able to rack it again and she fired a few more mags without incident. Any ideas on that??  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: A pair of Stealths - range report
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:01:07 AM »
Blueeyedme, Congrats os the pair of Stealths and it sounds like a pretty good good range session.
   Hard to say what may have caused the slide issue, possibly a small piece of shaved brass from a case or some other debris lodged in the proper area to jam it up due the close tolerances of the Rohrbaughs.
   Glad it is working again and you are pleased with the extensions. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Blueeyedme.  Thanks for the range report and agree with John on the debris could have caused the problem.  I, too, am glad for you that it is now working.

Continue to enjoy!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
Blueeyedme I had the same knuckle injury problem with my new Covert with the curved grip extension.  I had never had that problem with my first R9, and decided that it is indeed a grip issue.  I was putting the small finger of my shooting hand on and slightly above the curved extension which crowded my grip.  Moving the small finger down to curl it under the extension was much more confortable and seemed to improve my grip using a snap cap, but haven't been to the range (no point in trying until the wound healed and am now too busy to shoot).  I really like the curved extension but will get a straight black one from John also when they are available to see how that feels.
Congrats on TWO R9 stealths!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 12:57:59 AM »
BackupR9 - we were at the range again today and decided to shoot the R9s some more. This time I put toe tube (for runners) over my trigger finger knuckle and while I still got smacked a couple of times - no further injury.  

I still have not picked up any proper ammo for the R9s but I ran my IDPA/USPSA reloads through it - Bayou Bullet 147g FPBB over 3.8 gr of N330 @135pf.  The load functioned fine but keyholed badly at 5 yards - never seen anything like that but it makes sense given the short barrel, heavy bullet and subsonic load.  I promise my next experience will be with proper ammo.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
Glad to hear things are working out...the 124 Gold Dots seem to be the most loved by the R9, but for practice Lawman also works fine and is less pricey.  I'll be traveling for 5 weeks or so and won't get range time but am carrying the R9 and I am confident that should I God forbid require its use I will not notice a recoil issue!  
John

ps:  has your wife had a similar problem with the finger slap?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
BackupR9 - we were at the range again today and decided to shoot the R9s some more. This time I put toe tube (for runners) over my trigger finger knuckle and while I still got smacked a couple of times - no further injury.  

I still have not picked up any proper ammo for the R9s but I ran my IDPA/USPSA reloads through it - Bayou Bullet 147g FPBB over 3.8 gr of N330 @135pf.  The load functioned fine but keyholed badly at 5 yards - never seen anything like that but it makes sense given the short barrel, heavy bullet and subsonic load.  I promise my next experience will be with proper ammo.

Blue.  Glad the R9 functioned fine and no more injuries.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »
...ps:  has your wife had a similar problem with the finger slap?

No she does not...I think what's happening is that the angle of the trigger guard rakes up and my finger is not letting up off the trigger fast enough slapping my knuckel as the recoil brings up the guard.  I may also be using too much finger on the trigger and/or not gripping the R9 firm enough.  I am sure I will get it straightned out with a few more range trips.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »
Blueeye, I had the same problem with my R9 & LWS380, no skin damage but a first knuckle beating from using my fingertip to shoot. I now put my trigger finger farther onto the trigger and have eliminated the problem. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »
Blue.  Never had that problem, but sounds like John has a good idea; hope it works for you.    :)

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 12:58:32 AM »
Blueeye, I had the same problem with my R9 & LWS380, no skin damage but a first knuckle beating from using my fingertip to shoot. I now put my trigger finger farther onto the trigger and have eliminated the problem. :D

I will try that..thanks!  It will be a while before I get the R9 back to the range but I will report back.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
Excellent point by John.  Recently I've been trying to pull the trigger with the middle of the tip of the finger to get a straight back pull, but have in the past used the area nearer the inside of the first knuckle.  This may be the cause.  Will not get to the range until late November due to travel.  
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
Well, I thought it would be a while before I got the R9s back to the range but we brought them back on Sunday.  We both typically shoot IDPA/USPSA style action pistol 1-2x per week so we are at the club a lot.  In any event, ran 40 rounds of Speer 124g GDs through each weapon without an FTE or FTF then completed another detailed cleaning.  I now consider them both ready for carry.  I tried some different grip positions but still had the knuckle issue - not too concerned at this point as range time will be limited going forward.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »
Well, I thought it would be a while before I got the R9s back to the range but we brought them back on Sunday.  We both typically shoot IDPA/USPSA style action pistol 1-2x per week so we are at the club a lot.  In any event, ran 40 rounds of Speer 124g GDs through each weapon without an FTE or FTF then completed another detailed cleaning.  I now consider them both ready for carry.  I tried some different grip positions but still had the knuckle issue - not too concerned at this point as range time will be limited going forward.  

Blue.  That's downright good on the 124 Gold Dots.  Glad to hear everything went well.  Hope the knuckle issue finds a mend.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:22:07 PM by kjtrains »