Author Topic: New R9s owner  (Read 7017 times)

Offline ocurran

New R9s owner
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
What a great little gun!!!  I picked it up yesterday and had a chance to put about 25 rounds through. It was love at first sight and fire. I was impressed by the accuracy of something in 9MM that will fit in my back pocket. ;D
Don't let your worries get the
best of you; remember, Moses started
out as a basket case.

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
Re: New R9s owner
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »
Congrats and welcome to the Forum.....a happy bunch we are!!!  ;)
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
ocurran:

As "Tracker," "K-Man," and some of the other fine Navy types we have around here might say, "Welcome aboard"!

And congratulations on acquiring one of what I consider to be the finest pocket pistols on this "third rock from the sun."  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ocurran

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

As "Tracker," "K-Man," and some of the other fine Navy types we have around here might say, "Welcome aboard"!

As an old Navy man myself, I appreciate the "Welcome aboard"
Don't let your worries get the
best of you; remember, Moses started
out as a basket case.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
ocurran, great report and post, welcome aboard also. Now grab that mop ;) ;D  enjoy the forum and your new pup.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mdpetrasek

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Hello to all,
I recently purchased an R9 elite from Budsgunshop.com and am awaiting the weapon.  It is was a total impulse buy as I have many many handguns, but no pocket gun.  I did research after purchasing it and am growing a little nervous.  Although everyone mostly seems happy, there is a fair amount of negative press on this firearm.  Granted, I have yet to see, let alone hold this firearm, what keeps you guys so in love with this gun?  I bought it because it is a low volume beautiful gun like none I currently own.  The closest is my Sig P232, but not the same animal at all.  Please tell me I did not make a mistake in this impulse purchase.  I paid $1399 for this gun, more than (by a little) than any other handgun I have purchased in the past.  I realize in making a weapon this small, there will be compromises, but do you feel that its worth it?  Changing the spring every 100 rounds?  Is this true, I realize it is "carried a lot shot a little" but I guess thats new to me.  I own probably 30 handguns and with the exception of a Walther PPK/S they have all been trouble free with little maintenace.  Dont get me wrong, I love to tinker and am willing to pay the price of admission for a unique firearm but am curious.  I suppose things will change once I lay eyes on this trully beautiful firearm, as I am sure its even better in person.  By the way GREAT forum, I am sure these questions are answered in this lengthy forum, sorry.  I appreciate any feedback, mdpetrasek.

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
Many of the folks on this forum bought and others will continue to buy without seeing the handgun in person.  Since the R9 is a bit obscure, tracking one down locally becomes quite difficult if not impossible.

Your Elite will be a very nice handgun with only cosmetic differences, as you know, over the standard R9.  It is quite a nice combination of finishes.

When reading through the many early posts in this subforum, I too thought that there were quite a few problems with the R9.  Some were ammo related and others were sorted out with new springs.  Purportedly, the chamber has also be enlarged since the early production guns (to insure smoother feeding?)

Will the price to play be worth it?  Only you can say but should you have a problem, the Rohrbaugh family will sort you out.  

With regards to the recoil springs, I think the current recommendation is replacement after 250 rounds.  Seems like the R9 needs a $3.99 spring more often than other handguns but it is what it is.  If not shot regularly, this becomes a non-issue.

This forum is indeed a great place and everyone is very helpful so do not hesitate to post and ask questions-no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Now you'll have to track down a nice leather pocket holster so that the Elite is well protected in your pocket and also so that you are well protected from the R9 in your pocket.

Welcome and hope tosee you become a regular.

Offline mdpetrasek

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
Thanks, I should clarify, I bought an R9S Elite.  I too am curious of changes they have made in the four years of production.  I am getting the sense of community with this firearm and that makes me feel a little easier in parting with nearly $1400 dollars.  I thought the Elites had polished feed ramps, is this true?  Also, what is the story with the diamond finish?  Is it more durable?  Thanks for the reply!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »
the R9 has been a great pocket pistol from the start. Very few problems compared to guns sold.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mdpetrasek

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »
I am sure that as always, people post their frustrations more readily than their positive experiences.  This pistol seems to have what I can only describe as a cult like following based on what I have read on this forum.  It does appear however, more problems may be present with this firearm than others.  Of course, others have the luxury of size and not being a new ground breaking design.  I am a firm believer in technology, but there is a point of diminishing return.  I am hoping I can trust mine and my families life on this firearm.  It is my intention to carry this weapon as my primary ccw gun.  I currently carry my Sig P232 and it has performed like a champ gobbling up every single round with no complaints and is a trusted friend.  I do have concerns about the caliber and was looking for something both smaller and deadlier.  I found the Rohrbaugh by accident and snapped one up.  I am not at all trying to say that the Rohrbaugh is nothing less than excellent, I am just trying to gauge it against more established and conventional designs.  I am trully excited at being an owner, just curious if I will trust it as much as my other firearms.  I also carry a Glock 36 and would trust it any day of the week.  Both of these firearms are tried and tested, with numerous police agencies permitting use of off duty police officers.  Of interest is that these firearms, even the Sig, is available at less than 1/2 the price.  So I am just curious as to comparisons between other subcompact, ableit, not true pocket pistols.  Again, I would have not bought one if the basic package was not intriguing.  I realize the R9 is smaller, and that is why I bought it.  I want to carry something that is trully small and deadly, and reliable.  I can spend what I want, so price is no real consideration, just a side note.  I guess what I am wondering, is just how reliable is this firearm.  Range report after range report indicates FTE, FTF much more often than I would find acceptable with any of my current collection.  I do realize that the R9 is smaller, I just hope it is not so finiky as to regulate it to safe duty and me going back to my tried and true G36/P232 for carry duty.  I thank you all for your input to a newby future R9S Elite owner, mp.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 01:37:24 AM »
Well, I guess the luck is the draw, but a friend of mine has gone about 100 rounds before cleaning and no malfunctions (except with a few Remington Green box) during that time.  I bet it could have gone another 100 rounds.  I was shocked.  That's when I decided to get one, and that all the "bad" was way over hyped.  

As for the ammo sensitivity, I'll just say that if I recall correctly most 1911's can be finicky with hollow points.  Not owning a 1911 I can't testify to that myself, but that's what I've read (on the internet of course....ymmv).

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!

When I set out to buy a pocket pistol the first gun I was shown was the R9s Stealth. I looked at all the small pistols in that shop, went across town and looked at all another shop had, and went back to the first shop and bought the R9. Nothing else looked and felt as good, and I'm very happy with my decision.

There are some who cannot be happy with just one and have a stable of Pups. So far I have been able to resist that temptation.

Ammo choice is important with the R9. Speer 115 GDHPs, Winchester 115 STHPs and 115 WWB for the range work well. Other annos work also but these have been perfect for me!

Rick

Offline mdpetrasek

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
I am eagerly anticipating this firearm.  As I said before, I never even heard of this weapon, let alone held it, before orderering it.  It just seemed to fill a niche I have been looking for a long time and I snapped it up.  Never before have I done this with a firearm and certainly not to the tune of the amount that I spent on the R9S Elite.  I see that they have made quite a few changes to the basic design, to include changing the materials used, specfically the steel.  Anybody know why?

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 11:58:42 AM »
I see that they have made quite a few changes to the basic design, to include changing the materials used, specfically the steel.  Anybody know why?

What changes do you "see"?  I'm just wondering.  I knew about the metal type change but thats all I was aware of.  I have a very early ser. # R9, a middle ser. # R9 and a recent production R9.  I can mix and match all parts between them if I wanted to.  I don't see any "basic design" changes.

I guess you might be refering to cosmetic changes.  There have been three different grip materials, several different frame colors, stealth model, elite model, and some fancy elite model.

Corey

Edit:  I just thought about what you may be talking about.  They have updated recoil and mag springs.  Is that it?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:00:09 PM by ccoorreeyy »

Offline mdpetrasek

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
I was referring to different steel, different chamber, loosened tolerances, different spring twist.  All appear to be minor "tweeks" but they are small changes.  I am mostly interested in why they changed to material used to manufacture the guns with, this seems the biggest change.