Author Topic: New R9s owner  (Read 7019 times)

Offline harrydog

• Master
Re: beingRe: New R9s owner
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »
As far as I am concerned, the newer generation slides are
superb and just as good as the older models, if not better.
They were and still are excellent but Rohrbaugh is also an
evolutionary company: they are always trying to improve the
product. I am certainly not a metallurgist but from a functional
and structural integrity point of view, the new slides are
outstanding. Their customer service, as has been repeated
many times before here, is without peer. The internals of the
gun, such as extractors, ejectors, etc., are also on the posi-
tive slope of functionality. There is, in my opinion, no effort
to put them "on the cheap" at Rohrbaugh, quite the opposite.
Not to beat a dead horse but I do think 416 stainless is not quite up to the same standards as 17-4. While 416 is most likely perfectly acceptable for this application, I thought it was very cool that Rohrbaugh chose an even higher quality steel for their slides. It was part of what makes the R9 special. Lets face it, those tiny slides take a beating, so using the strongest material that is practical makes good sense.
The change from carbon fiber grips to G10 doesn't bother me so much. The carbon fiber grips look cool but G10 is actuually a better material for the purpose in my opinion, plus the change was something that had to be done due to carbon fiber availability.
The change to 416 stainless doesn't make sense to me other than for cost savings. Of course had Rohrbaugh used 416 from the beginning, I'd have no complaint, but the mid-stream change makes me scratch my head.
Having said that, I would definitely not hesitate to buy a new R9 with the 416 slide.

Offline mdpetrasek

Re: New R9s owner
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
Well I picked up my R9S Elite today.  First let me say another perfect transaction from budsgunshop.com, I can't highly recommend these guys enough, try them!  Anyways first impressions are of high quality.  Virtually no play in slide, nice polishing and toolwork.  Have not disassembled yet, though from what I read the internals should be similar.  I am not sure the Elite was worth the extra money, though have not seen a standard model, maybe someone could give their opinions.  Only complaint, small chink on frame near muzzle.  Nice magazines, nice trigger pull, still a little shocked by price, I will have to find a holster, please give suggestions, thanks!

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: New R9s owner
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »
mdpetrasek,  Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new Elite. Look forward to a range report when you get the chance to shoot it.  As far as a 380 goes they should be coming out very soon.  They are sweet to shoot. Just like the R-9 without the kick. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER