Author Topic: trigger guard banging up my trigger finger  (Read 6831 times)

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
Re: trigger guard banging up my trigger finger
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 06:54:05 PM »

Whooa!!!  Dude!!!  That really is "treating the cause not the symptom".

I would love to see a picture of your "De-Trigger-Guarded" R9!

How, (other than Very Carefully) and what do you use to conceal carry it now that it is sans trigger guard?     ;D

Inquiring minds want to know.

Yeah, I guess using the "die grinder" was a little bit overkill! ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:54:28 PM by P7Enigma »
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 08:01:58 PM »

You're good.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
And how!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 02:17:21 PM »
I put strips of skateboard tape on the front and backstraps and it improved my overall grip a LOT.  Would now have the ability to select my trigger finger position...  Never had an issue with this, though.

Considered grinding off the trigger guard, as it is just extra weight, and I think I could BUMP FIRE if it were not there.  :o
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »

Tape on the grips helps much also in addition to the front and back.

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »
Out of curiosity ... a photo of the die grinder job ... yeouch, that hurts more than the bruised finger!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

I think he was just messin' with us.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 02:26:59 PM »
He was, and doing a good job at it.   ;D    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
He was, and doing a good job at it.   ;D    ;D

Busted.... 8)

Unless I send the pic.... :o
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
CRe: trigger guard banging up my trigger finger
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »
1. Cutting trigger guard off is indefensible.
2. Plaxico Buress needs company in jail.
3. Don't take an R9 without a trigger guard to a strip club.
4. Your knuckle ought not come in contact with the trigger guard if you shoot properly. Dedicate less trigger finger inside the trigger guard; pull between the end of your fingernail and the first joint.
5. Trigger pull advice is given as an instructor. In real life self defense circumstance you would not care about your knuckle; a point already made above. You should shoot my way for the sake of your knuckle and save a clip for real life self defense point shooting.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »
If/when a mag extension is available for the R9, try putting one on. That 1/2 inch added to your grip will make a lot of difference in the control you will have over the gun. I don't have one for the R9, but have one on my seecamp and it does wonders to tame that little beast.

For most regular sized guns, we're taught to use the area between the tip of our index finger and first knuckle on the trigger; however if you look at the physics of it and consider the short distance between the grip and trigger -- you can see why there is a problem when trying that same trigger finger position with the smaller gun.

The length of your index finger usually travels parallel to the slide (on a normal size gun). You use the tip of your finger on the trigger and that maintains the stability of your index finger along the side of the slide and the only subsequent movement results in the tip of your finger on the trigger.

But when you try that with the shorten span of the Rorhbaugh, your index finger moves away from the side of the slide and finger tip creates a triangular gap between the slide and trigger (weakening your grip) and resulting in that trigger guard slap.

I insert my trigger finger a little deeper when using the R9 or seecamp.

Here are pics of the two grips -- its a seecamp, but applies to the R9 & demonstrates what I'm trying to say:

You can see I've lost some real estate on the grip of the first picture. Inserting my finger in a little deeper keeps the index finger stable along the side of the slide. I still only use the finger Tip to activate the trigger, it is just closer to the knuckle than a traditionl grip.  
I do not experience trigger guard slaps or any pain any more!

ETA: I'm still a novice shooter, and far from having the expertise of many on this forum, but I wanted to share this is what works for me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:55:31 PM by MrsFosforos »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »
You may be a novice shooter but you write a compelling argument for trigger pull. I notice that my trigger pull is more contrived than natural because I make a point of using the point of my finger in the manner that both you and I describe.

However, when I point shoot, or multiple tap, (to replicate real life situation), my trigger finger travels further into the trigger guard; (right to left as I am right handed).

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »
MrsFosforos and ACP.  Both of you make good points.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:30 PM »
As ACP says, between the end of the fingernail and the first joint (or line if you will) in your finger.  The only exception I know of to this rule is one I was taught when using a J-frame with 12 unruly pounds of pull and that was to use that first joint to pull the trigger back.  Some may agree or disagree with that, but it does seem to work quite well 10 meters and under.

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
As ACP says, between the end of the fingernail and the first joint (or line if you will) in your finger.  The only exception I know of to this rule is one I was taught when using a J-frame with 12 unruly pounds of pull and that was to use that first joint to pull the trigger back.  Some may agree or disagree with that, but it does seem to work quite well 10 meters and under.

I can't remember what the trigger pull averages on the R9  - does anyone know off hand?