Author Topic: Black Talon  (Read 8393 times)

Offline ccw

• I believe in gun control.  All in the X ring.
Re: Black TalonI
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 11:32:35 PM »
I think the Black Talon ammo has a well deserved reputation.  During the first Illinois handgun deer season, maybe 15 years ago I shot a deer at 50 yards with a 10 mm Black Talon from a single shot, short barreled Thompson Center pistol.  It was a really cold day, I think 25 below zero without the windchill.  My pistol misfired in the early morning due to the fact that I kept it in a belt holster, and the oil on the firing pin prevented it from firing, as the oil was as thick as  cheddar cheese.  Back at the trailer, I warmed the gun up, got it working again, and went out again, keeping it warm.  There was 6 inches of snow on the ground, and I shot the deer from a stable rest; chest shot. The exit hole was about 4 inches, and I have never seen so much blood blasted across the snow in a lifetime of shooting big game animals.  The deer jumped up at the shot, and died without taking a step.  That Black Talon expanded incredibly to create such a wound.  I wonder what Black Talons would do in a comparison scientific test in ballistic gelatin?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Black Talon
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:04:54 AM »
The bulk of the hype was generated by the ant- gunners, and was just bull.
This is from Wickipedia about the Black Talon ammo.

The ammunition was targeted by those opposed to civilian ownership of handguns[5][6] and eventually the Talons became known by the moniker "cop-killer" bullets.[7] The identifying characteristic of the Black Talon ammunition was the black coating on the bullets themselves. There were false rumors that the bullets were armor piercing and could penetrate the Kevlar vests worn by police officers.[8][9] The claims are quite contradictory as defensive rounds which expand have notoriously decreased penetration by their nature, whereas more mundane practice rounds penetrate further but have decreased stopping power--penetration and expansion are opposites and designs must trade one for the other.

To further the controversy, some medical personnel claimed that the sharp barb like tips could potentially cause tears in the surgical gloves and hands of the medical workers, exposing them to greater risk of infection,[1] however there are no documented reports of this actually happening.[10]

It's just stupid people spreading bad information, that other stupid people can grab onto, believe and pass along.

And the biggest problem is "You Can't Fix Stupid"

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
John.  Excellent information.  I still like the Black Talon.  I have it for the .45 and like your sign on.  Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »
...AND the .45 version of a Black Talon "expanded in water" is the avatar at left I have been using. ;D
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
What a hole that would make.  I'm for whatever it takes to have an advantage on the bad guy.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 07:00:14 PM »
...AND the .45 version of a Black Talon "expanded in water" is the avatar at left I have been using. ;D

Enigma:

I've been wondering what that was. I'd about decided it was something from outer space that you had found in the desert.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
I thought it was some kind of creature from where I didn't know.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:08 AM »
John,
 What do you think of the Action/Springs on the Kimber CDP? There are a few Gun Stores around here the do not like to sell the 3" Kimber (Or anyone elses .45) due to problems with so much power in so small a package. (Something we can all relate to with our little Pups.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »

Enigma:

I've been wondering what that was. I'd about decided it was something from outer space that you had found in the desert.   ;)

Yep...I actually work for "MIB"..... 8)
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »

Yep...I actually work for "MIB"..... 8)

I thought so. Now . . . can I qualify for a Series Four De-atomizer, or at least a Noisy Cricket?   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »
Are you a Class III dealer? We only do "dealer samples" on those unless you are LE SWAT or mil. ;D

The "Cricket" was designed by a Rohrbaugh name on a different planet...hence its small size
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:26:00 PM by P7Enigma »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »
Thanks. I'll start the paperwork.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »
I'm starting to feel really old.  Just looked at that ammo sight and 9mm is now over what even 45 was 18-24 months ago.    I remember when I was shocked when 9mm went to 7.50 let alone 15-18 bucks for FMJ Blazer!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Will it ever end?  Think I'll start reloading.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
John,
 What do you think of the Action/Springs on the Kimber CDP? There are a few Gun Stores around here the do not like to sell the 3" Kimber (Or anyone elses .45) due to problems with so much power in so small a package. (Something we can all relate to with our little Pups.

Chief

I have only put about 20rds. through it, but is is very pleasant  to shoot.  I just sold my 3" Colt New Agent that I had put a couple of hundred rds. though and never had any problems.
   The reason I sold the Colt and bought the Kimber, is because I always wanted a Kimber Ultra CDP but just never got around to getting one, so decided I wasn't getting any younger, and didn't want to die without owning one.   ;D  
 The 3" 45s are small enough and light enough you hardly know you have it with you.
  It seems pretty foolish not to sell 3" 45s, they make up a large share of the 1911 market today, with every mgf. making there version. I don't read about anymore problems with the 3" 45s than any other barrel length.
 I believe they have overcome the major problems that were connected with the short barrel powerful autos, look at all the other 3" barrel autos in 40S&W, 357SIG 9mm.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
  I think part of the Reason Black Talons got the totally misinformed reputation of being able to shoot through armour, police vests, etc. Is due in fact mostly to their color. At the time there were not many if any, Black bullets out there. In the Military Armour piercing rounds are designated by being painted Black.  I had a friiend  that worked in the emergancy room of a local hospital here. He told me that Black Talons were so sharp when they opened that he always "double Gloved" when working on someone that had been shot, just in case.
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"