Author Topic: Anyone Try Hornday Critical Defense 115's in R9?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline rodell

Anyone Try Hornday Critical Defense 115's in R9?
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
Has anyone tried these in their R9?  Silvertips are getting pretty hard to come by these days.  I managed to find a couple of hundred, but, that's it until late next year.

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone Try Hornday Critical Defense 115's in R
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »
I have fired CDs in my pup and have had no problems. There were some issues at one time with some hard primers in a few lots of there ammo, that caused several FTFs. I have not heard of any issues with them lately but they would not be at the top of my list knowing there were problems.
  You are right about  Silvertips they can be hard to come by, Gold Dots seem to be much easier to find.
   I have been carrying the Winchester Ranger (Law Enforcement Ammo) in 147gr, the pup likes it and I like it. ;D
my second choice would be Gold Dots, based on availability.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »
    You guys must not have been looking in the right place for silvertips. I found them all over the internet. Here's five all 115 gr, 50 rd box. Bud's $35.81, Natchez $36.99, Able's $39.70, Cabela's $39.99 and my favorite site to buy ammo..Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore for $31.99. Hope this helps feed the pups.     Merry Christmas, Everyone!!!    Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:16:30 AM »
Love those Silvertips.  Never a problem.  Thanks Gene for the reminders on where they're available.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »
I haven't looked for Silvertips in a while but know from past experience they can become scarce. I can also get Rangers and Gold Dots at some local shops, but never see Silvertips there.
 The other reason I like Gold Dots and Winchester Rangers is price. I can get a box of 50 of the Winchester Rangers for $19.99, that affords me more practice with my SD ammo for less money.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »
Silvertips are not scarce anymore by Gene's reminders and that's a good point on the price of the Rangers.  Excellent for practice.    :)  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline rodell

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »
I bought a few hundred from Natchez last week.  They told me that "when they are gone, they are gone" until the next run in mid-2011.  I'll make sure I add these other sources to my list.

I may order a few hundred more - that's a lifetime supply since I won't use them in any other of my 9mm's.

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:28 AM »
I bought a few hundred from Natchez last week.  They told me that "when they are gone, they are gone" until the next run in mid-2011.  I'll make sure I add these other sources to my list.

I may order a few hundred more - that's a lifetime supply since I won't use them in any other of my 9mm's.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, I have not seen the Gold Dots get scarce or the Winchester Rangers.

And this is from Duanes tour of the factory.

Here is a photo of Eric's personal gun (Serial No. 2 - guess who has No. 1?) in a Hedley holster. And yes - I checked - its full of Gold Dots!

If God Dots are good enough for one of the company owners there good enough for me.

John

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:47:05 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson