Author Topic: When is it reliable?  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
When is it reliable?
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »
I should take possession of my first R9 late this week. It's used with a round count of at least 150.

I plan to field strip, clean and replace the slide spring prior to shooting. How many rounds should I put through my new PUP before carrying as a CCW?

Thanks.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: When is it reliable?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »

Strictly subjectively, 10 mags or 70 rounds would be enough for me and that would be over more than one range session. Some others might not feel comfortable until 100 or 200 rounds. Whichever you choose to do please fire it in the configuration you will carry it, i.e., 6+1 in the pipe, as an example.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
That is a really good question.

You are going to receive varied opinions I believe.

For me, for a brand new gun, I don't carry it until it has run 200 rounds without a hitch.

Now, for my number 2 Pup, which was used; it ran 50 straight, without any problems.  I personally felt comfortable with this and cleaned it, replaced the spring and I carry it.

I guess it all depends upon how it peforms and your gut feeling.

You'lll know what to do.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
I definitely concur with Tracker on testing with your carrying confiquration.  That is a given.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
For me, 50 rds seems to be the number.  If the gun performs without a flaw in that number, I'm good to go.  Agreed, you're going to get a variety of answers, however, it's your comfort level to be concerned with.  Wishing you the very best.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:35:16 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
What Tracker said, except I back off one round in the magazine (5 + 1). Old habits die hard.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
I know everyone has their style on the magazine loads and certainly can't fault them for what they think or do and wouldn't want to, however, I have to go with 6 + 1; just like having that extra rd.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
If you have ever carried a Browning Hi Power it is especially easy to see how one gets into the "minus one" habit.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
Seinfeld  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:43:40 PM by Reinz »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
5+1 for me. There is no debating the virtue of an extra round but my concern is the R9's performance. My Robar R9 performs wonderfully with 5+1; not so, (sometimes), when I put in the extra round.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline eye_spy

• mcgrathinvestig ativeservices.c om
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
I say with this gun, forget "target ammo"

Buy some 124 and 115 Grain Gold dots (std vel).  if it feeds well rund 100 rounds through it.  Do this at the range with other guns.  Shoot one mag with the r9 and put it down and fire your other gun (s) for a while and the shoot the r9 again.  Do this for 50 rounds, take it home and clean it well

Go back and repeat the above process and if it feeds 100 HIGH END CARRY ROUNDS, clean it and carry those rounds.  Every visit to the range shoot that mag and replace with new rounds after a good cleaning.  

Do not expect cheap ammo to function, if it does great, if not who cares.  This is a carry gun and you dont carry garbage ammo.

It does not likerapid fire mag after mag.  It will heat up and ftf.  Rember this will not happen in the real world.  If you survive one mag, you will not need to fire mag after mag on the steet. 3 3 3.  3 rounds in three seconds in 3 feet or less.  Unless you are in Iraq, you are not going to battle.

Realize what this is and you will be thrilled.  Expect this to be a range-take on the world in one sitting-gun and you will be dissapointed.

Don't push the spring to failure, replace frequently it will decrease the wear on the gun.

Clean once per week.  You dont need to, but it is piece of mind.

Most important, dont leave home with out it.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:35 AM »
5+1 for me. There is no debating the virtue of an extra round but my concern is the R9's performance. My Robar R9 performs wonderfully with 5+1; not so, (sometimes), when I put in the extra round.

What is the problem that you encounter with the extra round?

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:24:08 AM »
If you have ever carried a Browning Hi Power it is especially easy to see how one gets into the "minus one" habit.

What is the story with the Browning Hi Power?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »
Browning Hi Powers have a history of having FTFeeds with full mags and one in the chamber.  
The extensive training of the Bristish SAS found that carrying it with 12 in the mag VS 13, it would tend to be 100%, if anything is ever 100%.
This mindset and popularity has carried over and been handed down over the many decades since.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 06:05:44 AM »
The answer to my shooting the R9 with the extra round is that when I have shot 6 + 1 there is a greater propensity, in my experience, for there to be a failure to feed. This failure has occured, invariably, with the second round.

Bear in mind that I shoot little and carry much; just like the factory recommends. I do not claim to have the right answer.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:37 AM »
i thought "why would anyone carry less than 6+1"? But then i realized how many of us for years carried a 5 shot SW Chief or 6 shot Det. Special when bouncing around doing errands in town, etc...
If 5 or 6 shots were enough then, i guess i can live with that now.