Author Topic: H-E-L-P Please!!  (Read 7791 times)

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
H-E-L-P Please!!
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
Saw a BNIB stealth at a gunshow...not a dealer but a private seller. The gun appeared to be never fired and in perfect condtion EXCEPT the slide seemed to be a little faded compared to the black frame. The Deer Park was stamped properly but on the right side of the frame where it says Rohrbaugh 9 it was barely visible. I believe Serial # was R1819. They were asking $900 which is obviously a great price but I was scared off by the issues I mentioned. Would like any feedback possible from u R9 pro's as to what might account for these issues....thx!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: H-E-L-P Please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »

Just a guess but from my limited experience it sounds like the slide may have been refinished; it probably isn't holster wear.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
Maybe it's an aftermarket Stealth with a poor finish job on the slide. It would take a call to Maria to find out if the Serial number is assigned to a Stealth or a two tone.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
Maybe it's an aftermarket Stealth with a poor finish job on the slide. It would take a call to Maria to find out if the Serial number is assigned to a Stealth or a two tone.

Yep!  I agree.  Call the source for information.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »

Monday may be too late but I think I would pass anyway.

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
Thx guys...gonna pass! Rather pay a few hundred more knowing what Im getting! It just wasnt right!

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
Good call, 'cause that's the serial number of my gun.  :o

Edited to add for clarity: it's not for sale, it's not at a gun show, it's right here in my pocket.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:25:16 PM by Douglas »

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »
Actually it may have been 1619 now that I think about it....my best guess is that the slide was refinished...if I hadnt already had one I probably would have bought it!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »

Much better to have a known known instead of a known unknown with a question mark behind it.

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
Agreed Tracker!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
Thx guys...gonna pass! Rather pay a few hundred more knowing what Im getting! It just wasnt right!

You did good, margator, in doing the passing.  Good to go with your instinct.  Excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
I've see a couple stealths in that serial range that were as you described and new at the time.  That serial range was near the beginning of the stealth and some of those slides appeared somewhat "chalky" the best I can describe.  I've also seen and owned a few that had shallow engraving.

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
Yes...chalky is a ggod description. Any idea what causes it and the faded stamping issue? If u owned a few did they function fine or was something just not right? Thx!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
I have no idea what caused it.  I would guess that the first ones were a different type finish than what most have been done since then, but that's only a guess.

The light stamping had no effect on the guns operation.  They worked fine.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
Did it look like this?  This was one of the very first ones.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1146310803;start=0#0