Author Topic: rohrbaugh misses the mark, sadly  (Read 12798 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: rohrbaugh misses the mark, sadly
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:42 PM »
It's obvious that you all are big proponents of these guns.
That might be described as a classic understatement.

I didn't mean any disrespect to you or the gun.  
None taken, not that it would have mattered much anyway.

The gun isn't for me.  
Fine. You and I would probably also disagree on a number of other things -- perhaps even automobiles. In 1969, my personal vehicle was a Mercedes-Benz 280SL -- but then, if you are only 34, you wouldn't have been around back then.

* * *I read about Cirillo in one of my monthly blue press issues earlier this year.  Sounds like he certainly had experience shooting people.  
If you subscribe to the "blue press" and just recently learned about Jim Cirillo, I am truly surprised. But that remark about his "experience shooting people" does great disservice to one of the finest gentlemen ever to serve in law enforcement.

I appreciate all of your conversation on the matter.  Having said that I'm not sure there is much left for me here on this forum as I'll not be buying this gun until it is offered in steel.
Thank you for stopping by the Forum and feel free to return when you undergo what I predict will be an inevitable epiphany regarding the R9.

I know 34 year olds are supposed to be savvy with computers but I'm here to disappoint.
You may have succeeded in that regard.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors, and keep that GTO, as Jimmy Buffett might say, "between the navigational beacons."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:45:32 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
judgnot.  Do take heed; some very good points were passed on to you the short time you were here; you may not get a chance to read the last few as you may not be back on this Forum.

However, if you are passing this way again, may it be to tell us you now understand.  Peace.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline cep55

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
Well put, Richard, quite a gentleman's response. The ability to participate thoughtfully in a thread like this while being respectful and neither threatening nor threatened is an art, and not seen in a lot of forums. This type of maturity seems to be quite prevalent here, and this, in addition to the depth of information here is one of the reasons I really love this forum!

Thank you,

Christina

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
CWC - was the finish taken off that R9 frame?
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Is that a Robar Rohrbaugh? Or was there a time when the R9 came with just plain aluminum frame?

One thing I don't want is the black coating on the frame.  I am probably going to have the grip checkered and finished in NP3+ anyway...

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
No, its a hard chrome job from Bob Cogan.  He did the checkering also.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
Have to agree with Richard that characterizing Jim Cirillo's experience as "shooting people" is an injustice.  He was involved in a large number of shootouts while protecting the public on NYPD's most dangerous unit.  A true American Hero.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline CB_on_the_run

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
  Without wading through all the replies, I carry on a daily basis both on and off duty.  I'm a glock armorer.  That being said, I have no issues with the aluminum frame.  The weight and caliber were the selling points for me.  The gun replaced a G27 which started staying home more & more due to it's weight and bulk.  9mm was my cut off point as I have personally seen too many people functioning well while carrying .38 or lesser projectiles the last being a large young lad who was flagging me down while talking on a cell phone.  He was carrying two .38 rounds, 1 in the lower back 2" left of his spine and 1 in his upper thigh which just missed his important parts.
  I do have a issue with the mag release.  I understand your point on the checking or lack thereof.  For $1200 you'd think you would get something to hold onto but I'm all about function & reliabilty.  Mine wear skateboard tape and goes bang 7 times without a hiccup.
  FYI-There are guys on this forum with thousands of rounds through there R9's w/o any problems(change spring).  My department traded in our Gen 2 G22's for Gen 4's with less than 7,000 rounds through them that had more issues than I heard here.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »
Originally, I didn't care for the heel-type mag release, but it really is a better choice for a pocket gun.  Guns in pockets can be banged around and a mag with a typical side button release could be depressed and the mag partially unseated -- leaving you with a single round weapon and a mag on the ground somewhere after you draw.

Once you get over the idea of reloading your tiny pocket gun in the midst of a fight, the heel-type mag release is much easier to live with!   ;D
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »
Originally, I didn't care for the heel-type mag release, but it really is a better choice for a pocket gun.  Guns in pockets can be banged around and a mag with a typical side button release could be depressed and the mag partially unseated -- leaving you with a single round weapon and a mag on the ground somewhere after you draw.

Once you get over the idea of reloading your tiny pocket gun in the midst of a fight, the heel-type mag release is much easier to live with!   ;D

DDGator is correct.

i too once refused to buy heel-types, but then i learned. if the firearm isn't to be used for super-speed reloading, the heel-type is acceptable. even more so for pocket or ankle carry, where a side-release may get depressed by accident (which has happened to me more than once).
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
I know what you're saying.  I use the left index finger to pull the mag release back and the mag just drops out; insert another mag, rack, and fire away; fairly fast.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »

DDGator is correct.

i too once refused to buy heel-types, but then i learned. if the firearm isn't to be used for super-speed reloading, the heel-type is acceptable. even more so for pocket or ankle carry, where a side-release may get depressed by accident (which has happened to me more than once).

100% agree
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:25 PM »
"Almost all concealed carriers I know of are highly sensitive"

Nobody ever called me sensitive before. <sniff>

I'm touched. Thank you.

John

Offline namvet6960

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
hello to everyone-
this is my first post on this forum. so far, everything i've read is "okay"- we americans do tend to be opinionated (sometimes stromgly so!)- that strong will is what has made us a great nation- we stand our ground.

after having endured/survived my trip to vietnam in 1969, and still surviving "agent orange exposure", i find it very good to meet others who are "passionate" about the firearms they choose for themselves- and the quality of those firearms- "passionate" enough to stand firm for their beliefs- and that's good.

i myself, am new to the rohrbaugh pistols- have been shooting the "other guys" firearms for a long, long time and now, finally, i'm going to own a rohrbaugh- and i'm going to enjoy it. i own a very nice swiss 23 jewel watch and it is a "lot different" than a timex- and it should be- there's something very special (for me) about owning that swiss watch.

i suppose you could say that rohrbaughs are somewhat like a fine swiss watch- something that you "know" will work and will work well- when you look, you see the quality there- no question, it's there. and that, my friends, is why i'll buy a rohrbaugh- because i "know" the quality is there- without any doubt. my purchase will be made very shortly- and that's very good!!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
namvet.  Welcome.  Congrats on your soon to purchase Rohrbaugh.  You will be proud.  Thanks for your service to our great USA; again welcome and enjoy.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »
    Is he gone yet? I know "freedom of speech" applies to everyone, but sometimes you almost wish it did'nt. As for the mag release I don't worry about it. If you are still fighting after seven shots you're probably hosed anyway. I'll change mags two or three years from now when the police give me my gun back.       Gene
birdman