Author Topic: Newbie & WTB an R9 -new Robar or early Farmingdale  (Read 5063 times)

Offline soylent-green

Newbie & WTB an R9 -new Robar or early Farmingdale
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
Hello,
I am new to the forum and doing my homework reading through the forum posts......I am looking to step into my first Rohrbaugh and  have an inclination to acquire a Robar  coated R9.    The NP3 seems appealing but the polishing of the small parts seems a real bonus.  I am a vintage gun collector as well , and so an older Farmingdale variation would  probably be appealing to me also.

Can anyone help me locate either a new Robar or an early Farmingdale variation ?

as a side note....if one were to have a standard model sent to robar, I am with the understanding that the anodized frame color would be stripped  and coating would be applied to prepped  bare metal or optionally have robar re - anodize /tint after prep and NP3 coat ?

I have seen these coated in armor tuff from wilson combat also.  Any thoughts or comparison?

Thanks in advance
Stan

( I can post the thread in another area of forum  since I have added questions if required )
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:21:06 AM by soylent-green »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Newbie & WTB an R9 -new Robar or early Far
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »
Stan,
    Welcome to the group. Finding a Robar or a standard model should not be too hard, finding a Farmie could prove difficult others are always in the hunt for them as well.
   I have a standard R9 that was sent to Robar for the full NP3 treatment and I couldn't be happier.

John
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:50:55 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline soylent-green

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »
Thanks John,

Your R9 looks sharp, and I will go the same route if a Robar does not turn up.  What was the turn around time for you on having that dipped at Robar ?

( I think the composite grips and matching  extension mag are a real bonus there )

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Stan, and good luck in your search. You might give Tom Watson ("theirishguard") a PM or e-mail. If he doesn't have what you want in stock, he can get it ASAP.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline soylent-green

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Thanks for your help Richard,
I  went ahead and sent Tom an email regarding the  Robar search .

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »
Stan.  Welcome to the Forum and a good move in contacting Tom of the Irish Guard.  I have been looking for an early, early, Farmingdale for a long time and finally found one.  Purchased it this week with the deal being sealed two weeks or so ago.  It's the #127 without the "R" prefix.

Got it from the original owner who ordered it from the First Shot show, 2002, and took delivery May 5th, 2004.  He's a vintage Colt collector.  

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
Stan,
   They quoted me 4 to 6 weeks for turn around and it was exactly 6 weeks the day it came back.
  I don't know there current turn around time.

John
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:17:28 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline soylent-green

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
with any luck I will find a nice  farmingdale....perhaps very difficult to find one as nice and early as yours KJ :)

some quick communications with Tom and he  has me lined up on a Robar.    Can't wait to have that in hand.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
Congrats, Stan.  The Robar will be nice, for sure.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline cooperr1234

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
Welcome and good luck....

Offline soylent-green

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »
Thanks Bobby, congrats on the trade as well.  

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 03:34:43 PM »
      S-G, welcome to the best gun forum on the internet. Congrats on acquiring the Robar, you'll love it. Also an excellent choice buying it from Tom Watson. Tom is a supporter of the forum and has sold Rohrbaughs since day one. There is no one better to buy from, in my opinion. Ammo, Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore has 115gr Silvertips @ $29.99 per 50 rd box. That's is probably the best deal that you'll find. Again welcome, post often.          Gene
birdman

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »
soylent-green,Stan,

Welcome to the forum!!

And welcome to the Robar Pup on the way!!

I have a couple Farmies,but have drooled over the Robar model for some time now.. :P

Welcome again,

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline soylent-green

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Brenden.....I'm gonna keep my eyes open for one of those Farmies...

I am very excited about the Robar on the way.

Offline cooperr1234

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »
Welcome, and can someone let me know waht the difference btween a Farmingdale and the reg ones are ? and does it apply to the .380 as well ??