Author Topic: Does your R9 do double duty?  (Read 7473 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Does your R9 do double duty?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 04:01:21 PM »
Has anyone thought about what would happen in court when the word gets out that you were carrying not just one gun but two? In our politically correct society today we should all think about this. I can just hear the lawyers now!!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 04:03:44 PM »
Just to agree with Duane re the Mini's recoil - really very manageable and a small amount of practice is enough to be well in control - it doesn't hurt! :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 04:07:39 PM »
Tom - I think in part at least - it is just a ''spare tire'' deal.  I mean - if you carry anyways - against that one dreaded time you may have to fight for your life - then you have already proved you are serious!  Adding another gun - is just a precaution in case other breaks down.

Someone once said - there is no reload faster than a  spare gun!! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 04:25:55 PM »
I have to agree with Tom on this... While it would not be determinative on my decision to carry a back-up gun, it has to be a factor you consider.

An average juror doesn't understand the reason for carrying a gun at all.  He or she has never been attacked, and/or has victim mentality -- wouldn't want to use a gun if they could.  The mere fact that you carry a gun at all makes you look like a bit of a vigilante...

If you are carrying TWO guns (again -- they would never consider carrying ONE), you look like someone who really expects to have need for a gun -- like you are looking for trouble and hoping to use your gun.

CAVEAT:  You all know me well enough to know I am not endorsing this ridiculous point-of-view -- I just recognize how people see things.

Chris -- the juror's won't see your spare tire analogy.  To them, the back-up gun is like carrying a SECOND spare tire.  Its yet another heavy, cumbersome thing taking up space that you should likely never need.  Why carry a second spare unless you are pretty darn sure you are going to get a few flats.  Right?

Of course, stay out of trouble and you may never face a jury.  However, I think cops will see it the same way for people who are not cops.  Just like the predisposition that good guys use holsters and bad guys don't -- two guns will strike them as someone looking for trouble.  Cops have a lot of discretion and you don't want to be on the wrong side--they can sink you pretty quick.

My two cents worth.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 05:53:37 PM »
Sadly Duane I have to concede - you are most probably right - which is more than irritating as we all know why we carry!!

I hate this ''vigilante'' crap - it goes with the bliss-ninnie's ''rivers of blood'' garbage!  I still tho will carry more than one whenever I choose - and if the dreaded day should come that I did have to use, in extremis - then I guess I'd have to get a good defence guy!

This whole deal is about self preservation - and I guess my point is - if we decide to take measures to enable us then ''go for broke''. :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 06:00:35 PM »
We discussed backup guns here.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1110979475

I stand by the points I made in that thread.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »
Re:  mini-revolvers:  I own one in .22 lr. with the 1 1/8" barrel.  It is 1/2 the size the smallest .25 I have seen, twice as reliable, and penetration is better.

Accurate shooting is difficult.  Rubber birds-head grips help, but accuracy is still limited to what I call "minute of mugger."  Oversize grips help much more, but destroy the size advantage of the gun.

I get a lot less use out of mine since I got my P-32 and G380.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 02:12:40 AM »
If the second gun is legal, then the defense attorney will request that either (1) it's entry into evidence be prohibited as it is irrelevant and predudicial and (2) if it is entered, the judge should instruct the jury that it was legal and should not play a part on their decision.

Backup guns can save lives.  If your gun jams, it's usually quicker to grab the backup then to clear the jam.  

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2005, 04:24:06 PM »
Jarcher,

Those would be good arguments to make but I am not sure that success would be assured.  The counter-argument is that your equipment selection is evidence of your intent, which is one of the elements of the crime you would be charged with.

Do you know of any reported cases where the irrelevance of the backup gun was argued?

As you can see from my post in the other thread, I totally agree with you that backup guns are a good idea.  I am just looking for another way to bolster that position.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 10:50:53 PM »
Those would be good arguments to make but I am not sure that success would be assured.

In court, success is nevr assured.  I have no case law to point to that bolsters my position.  I wish I did.  Conversely, I know of no cases where someone was convicted because they had a back up gun.  If anyone else does, I would be interested to read them.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2005, 11:40:27 PM »
Jarcher,

I doubt very much that such a case exists.