Author Topic: Add me to the New R9 Owner's List!  (Read 3575 times)

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
Add me to the New R9 Owner's List!
« on: July 12, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
I picked up my new R9 from Tom (the Irishguard) yesterday!

The first thing I did was take it home and field strip it (I have to admit - some of you guys had me a little intimidated after reading about difficulities reported with field stripping). BUT I'm happy to report I didn't have any major problems with getting it apart and back together again. I had studied all the tips and videos I could find on this site and was prepared to be bumfuzzled --> but found it really wasn't all that difficult.  It helped that I had pre-ordered an RJ 2-in-1 tool from IDMparts.com so it was ready and waiting for me to use; and I used my husband's Glock takedown tool to remove the pin. Getting it apart was a piece of cake. I could have used an extra hand when trying to get the pin back in. With practice I'm getting the hang of it.

Today at the range:
After reading reports about harsh recoil and being ammo sensitive, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I'm happy to report it was better than I'd ever expected!  This Rorhbaugh has a smooth trigger, had minimal recoil and it was easy to regain the sight picture.

For other small guns, I have shot a Colt .38, Beretta Tomcat and Seecamp .32  Those guns tend toward being painful to my wrist and the pad of my hand after a few rounds. I think it was the Colt, I had to wear a wrist spint for a week or so afterward! That was a harsh gun to shoot!! The Tomcat and Seecamp are manageable but they both have a significantly harsher recoil than the R9.

I put a good 70 or so rounds through the Rorhbaugh without a hiccup and what I'd call minimal to moderate recoil. I didn't have one ftf or ftl using CCI Blazer 115 gr for practice ammo.  I forgot to take carry ammo to try out, so that will have to be the next time out.

My husband shot a couple of magazines through it too. He has larger hands and longer fingers and said the trigger guard slapped back against his index finger but it wasn't bad enough to bother him.

I also shot my husband's new Glock 34 today. My first shot with it was a perfect X from about 10 yards!!  I got a "hell yeah!" cheer from my husband! Maybe it was beginner's luck. That gun is so well balanced and is sure nice to shoot.

It wasn't too hot today and there was at least a breeze, so it was a nice day to go out. We had fun! More to Come!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Add me to the New R9 Owner's List!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
Regina, Thanks for your business and the wonderful blue berries. It's only going to be 100 today, glad you went in the morning. Sounds like you two had a fun time with the pup. Now I have 5 lady customers.  8)  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
Mrs Fos- Sounds like you really like the R9 :)

Somehow I knew you would.......Carry in good health and all the best. Eddie

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »
Curious about the Glock 34 as I was about the 17L. Some use
them for carry and some for competition. Could you expain any
differences between the two models, Mrs. Fos, and which
purpose your husband bought the 34, competition or self
defense?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:21:35 PM by tracker »

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »
Congrats on your new R9 and welcome to the 'More Than Statisfied Rohrbaugh Owners Club'......MTSROC for short.  ;)
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
Curious about the Glock 34 as I was about the 17L. Some use
them for carry and some for competition. Could you expain any
differences between the two models, Mrs. Fos, and which
purpose your husband bought the 34, competition or self
defense?

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll probably like it! He has a G19 for every day carry. From what I understand the G17 has a more standard size frame (and I think the mags may have a greater capacity). The G19 is the compact version, but it's still big (in my opinion).

The G34 he got for competition. It has a longer barrel, extended mag release. It isn't exactly ported, but the end of the slide is cut out to reduce some of the weight. Even though it's longer, it's so well balanced I didn't notice any additional weight. Recoil is minimal. This one has night sights, so it was also easy to get the sight picture.

You know the difference between men and women (sigh). I  think the G19 is a perfectly good gun. He's VERY accurate with it and has been using it for IDPA; but he's convinced the G34 will shave a few seconds off... so he went looking and found a good deal for it on gunbroker.  

I can't say much considering he could have bought 2 Glocks for what I paid for my ONE R9!! (He didn't mention that part either!).

We both got new guns yesterday!! And we both had fun on the range today!!  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply and I am delighted to hear about your
recent Rorhbaugh experience. Sorry if I didn't make myself
clear, it was the 17L and 34 distinction, if any, I was asking
about.

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »
Regina, Thanks for your business and the wonderful blue berries. It's only going to be 100 today, glad you went in the morning. Sounds like you two had a fun time with the pup. Now I have 5 lady customers.  8)  Tom
Tom, THANK YOU!! We are so glad we've had time to get to know you. We value your friendship and advice!

Mrs Fos- Sounds like you really like the R9 :)

Somehow I knew you would.......Carry in good health and all the best. Eddie
I do have a new favorite, for sure!! Thanks Eddie!

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply and I am delighted to hear about your recent Rorhbaugh experience. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, it was the 17L and 34 distinction, if any, I was asking about.

My husband said the G17L slide was longer than the G34, but it's not made any more. I found this page online with some details about it: http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/17l/index.htm - looks like it was used for competition more than self defense. The specs look a LOT like a G34 except for the slide and barrel length.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 09:21:39 PM »
Thanks; the reason I asked is that one of our forum members
in law enforcement used the 17L for carry. I was thinking that
the 34 would make an excellent home defense weapon, except
maybe if increased velocity in over penetration were a concern
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:22:50 PM by tracker »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Glad to hear you had fun with the new R9 and welcome. Carry it with confidence as so many of us do.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline hoserack

• Sharpshooter
  • #R2660
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »
Nice review and range report.
Where's the pictures?

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »
Thank you for the range report.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:42:51 AM »
What a great report!!!

Glad you are enjoying the pup!! 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »
MrsFosforos:

Thank you for that excellent report, and welcome to the growing club of satisfied R9 owners!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"