Author Topic: Re: Kimber 45 ACP  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Kimber 45 ACP
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »
WS6:

I have no personal experience with them and know only what I've read.  What I've read is all good.  Here's a link to one review, just in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/minikim_112106/  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Scrappy

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 02:17:59 AM »

Hello WS6,

I own a Kimber Ultra CDP II. They make great guns. I am very happy with mine and will buy another one in the future. Check out the links below. These guys only sell Kimber, and have excellent prices. Their phone number is listed on the web page.
They are great people to deal with and will be happy to answer all of your questions. Hope this helps, Good luck.

http://www.chltx.com/wst_page4.php

http://gunrunnertexas.com/

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
WS6:

Thank you, Sir, for your kind remarks. I've learned far more on this forum than I've been able to contribute.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Scrappy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »
WS6, I choose the "Ultra CDP II for many reasons. It comes from the custom shop , lightweight, nice trigger, Beaver tail, melt job, extended magazine stop ect.. Not a problem to conceal. I have not heard to many negatives. Although this is my only 1911 style gun, I understand Kimber manufactures a very good product. My personal experience with the gun is outstanding, shoots where I point it. As of the moment my primary carry is a Seecamp LWS-32. That will change next week when my "R9s" arrives. (can't wait!).
Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:26:01 PM by Scrappy »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:32:19 AM »
I have a Pro Carry, Dad has a couple.  They work well, and I'm very fond of the way they feel in my hand, but the anodizing is coming off my Pro Carry, and the service department isn't very responsive.  Were they more sound financially, I'd suggest a Detonics, as they're better made (but Kimber is a good product), and comperable in price.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:23:44 PM »
Not to rain on the Kimber parade but Springfield is an excellent
choice. I understand that Kimber uses MIM parts; the following
is quoted from "Handguns" August/September issue in an
article regarding Unertl UCCP pistols: "no MIM [metal injectionmolding ] parts are found anywhere. Unertl believes that MIM
parts shorten the life and degrade the quality of any gun, and
they will not be used".

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 03:16:51 PM »
I've had an Ultra Carry II in Stainless and an Ultra CDP II. Both were excellent guns, with no issues, right out of the box. These are 3" barrel guns, so not as accurate as a 5" barrel but plenty of accurate for up close work.

That said, Kimber does use MIM parts on non-critical areas and I do not find that objectionable at all.

You'll note I said I've "had" those Kimbers, and, alas, I sold them once I discovered the R9. After all, the best gun is the one you have with you when you need it. The R9 allows me to "have" it with me everywhere. The Kimbers did not.

I DO have one .45 though. The one I ended up keeping is a Warthog Stealth, which is a most excellent gun and highly reliable. But it mostly just sits in the safe, being lonely and all...

Calvin
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
Calvin:

I know what you mean. At first, the R9 is merely seductive. After a while, it becomes downright addictive.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
Howdy WS6 - I have at least 10 Kimbers and at least 5 Springfields.  Yeah I'm kind of a 1911 freak, I have more of the other brands.  

The Kimbers I have are all shapes and sizes, as are the Springfields (SF).  One of my SF my gunsmith did a lot of work on; this was before they did the "loaded" package.  That gun , he said had a lot of soft metal and was inconsistant throughout.  Now this was an older gun of 10 years or more.
I feel confident that this is not a problem with my newer SF.

Personally, I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

And it's not like you are going to be shooting 100 rounds daily through a gun like that anyway.

Reinz

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »
WS6 - I'm with ya on that reasoning, I'm thinking the same myself.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline PlayboyPenguin

• Sharpshooter
Don't deny yourself other flavors...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 06:33:24 AM »
...just because you are fond of vanilla.

Guns like the Seecamp LWS380 and the Rohrbaugh R9s are the type of firearms that make most other ones seem like they are hardly worth the effort it takes to carry them. But, do not let their quality and ease of use prevent you from experiences the joys of other fine weapons.

By all means, if you can only afford two guns in your life, by the R9s for CC and an LWS380 for ultra deep CC. But if you can afford other toys get them.

The Kimber Ultra carry would be an awesome toy. I have the Kimber Pro Carry II and it is one of those guns that everyone falls in love with after shooting it. It really does fire like silk.

I would also suggest taking a look at the Para Ordnance SlimHawg for a micro .45acp if that is what you are wanting to obtain. Mine has been an amazing gun. I never thought I would find a .45acp that could be easily carried and concealed until I found this one.

I almost convinced myself to not buy the R9s because I already had the almost as small and even more powerful Kahr MK40 Elite. But now I will own the worlds smallest .380acp, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45acp pistols. ;D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:37:37 AM by PlayboyPenguin »
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know whose house you will be running to for protection."
[SIZE="1"]- My response to friends that laugh at me for collecting guns[/SIZE]

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 09:26:18 AM »
I happen to agree, very well said.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:46:55 AM by CNO53 »

Perception...Reality...?

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
DANG YOU WS6... Why did you have to bring up the R45? There you go spending my money again!

Perception...Reality...?

Offline CNO53

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:16:44 AM »
It's in the mail.

Perception...Reality...?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com