Author Topic: Grip Tape  (Read 12256 times)

Offline Robar233

• Master
Grip Tape
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
 I have seen several pictures of pistols with friction (skateboard) tape on the front and back straps.
 Has anyone noticed stains or changes in the finish when it is removed? I am especially interested in any marks left on NP3.
 Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Robar233

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Grip Tape
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
GRIP TAPE Not on my pup. To me thats like a pair of long horns on the hood of a Rolls. ;D I guess some use it with satisfactory results, don't know if it will effect the finish.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:30:58 AM »
You mean Ghetto Checkering ?

Not on my R9, but I have it on my CZ 85 and Hi- Power.

I've never had it come off, so I don't know about stains.

I would think that NP3 would less prone to stanins than most.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:42:20 AM »
I know it looks like hell, but I know it works well. I would love to have checkering or stippling done but it would have to go to Robar. I am not sure I could get by with it gone for the turn around time! Then there is the price, I bet it is $$$ to get that work done. No, I am not going to buy a spare like some of you have done, as much as I would like to.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
I've been using grip tape on the back-strap of my early R9s, and have found no discoloration when it is removed.  My gun has the stock Rohrbaugh anodized finish, which has held up quite well over six years of daily carry.  There is a tiny spot of holster wear to the anodized finish on the front edge of the frame.  Other than that the gun looks like new - with over 2,000 rounds down the pipe!
Yankee2500's black grip screws definitely look classier than the standard 'white' Rohrbaugh screws.
Having the back strap stippled will require refinishing the entire frame, and that's what has stopped me from getting it done.
If, or when, the holster wear bothers me enough, I'll probably  send it to Robar for stippling and refinishing.

Steve

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
Steve,
 Thank you for the advice. I agree with Reinz and Yankee2500 the tape does not look as good as stippling or checkering. It does serve a function. I guess I could send my Robar back to Robar for either of these two options. I will have to call them for a price. I will have to find out which option provides the most improvement to the grip.

Robar233

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 11:35:57 PM »
As far as cost the stippling is less expensive than checkering, I have an LWS380 with stippling and works well and feels good.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »
. I will have to find out which option provides the most improvement to the grip.

Robar233

I have guns that stippled and some that are checkered.  And for me, checkering wins hands down as far as a superior grip enhancement.

On the other hand, for a carry piece, checkering will tend to snag clothing easier as opposed to stippling.  But in this case, with a pocket pistol, I see it as no problem, because your hand is going to be on it.   If you carry it in a  belt holster, then it could be different.

Offline parkgt

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:23:02 PM »
My wife's two tone does not have grip tape; my stealth does.

Does it look as good with the tape, no.  I bought it for concealed carry; when it is on duty no ones can see how horribly disfigured it is.  Function is more important than looks in this roll.  The grip tape makes for a more secure grip, especially shooting in the 100 degree weather we are having now.

Can I do without it- yes, but for me it offers an advantage that outweighs the tiny sacrifice in cosmetics.

Even though it is a beautiful piece of work I bought it foremost for it's function and not it's art value.  If on the slim chance it mars the finish I will just put a larger piece of tape over it next time!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:28 PM »
I have seen several pictures of pistols with friction (skateboard) tape on the front and back straps.
 Has anyone noticed stains or changes in the finish when it is removed? I am especially interested in any marks left on NP3.
 Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Robar233

I've bought two R9's that had grip tape on them for many years.  I did not like the looks so I took both off.  There were no stains or changes in the finish at all.  

I've owned/shot Rohrbaughs with grip tape, stippling and checkering and I liked the stippling the best for shooting and pocket carry.  The checkering was by far the better looking one though.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »
I agree with you parkgt; one of mine is a carry weapon and I will do anything to improve its funtionality other than disfiguring it. In addition to the magazine extension the 3M tape greatly improves the handling and shooting capability.  I would not leave home without it and the only other person or persons who see it will be those who tag it and check it in as evidence. The tape leaves no residue or change to the finish.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:09:46 PM by tracker »

Offline Robar233

• Master
permanent
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
All,
 Thank you for your comments they all appreciated. The point about the looks are well taken. As much as I like the looks of the R9 it is still a tool with a purpose.
 I think I can use the tape with out worries of damaging the finish. I will make it a point to get to a gun store to handle a pistol that has had stippling done to it. I have never felt it to compare it to checkering.
 Stippling or checkering raises a final question. Do you think that doing either of these modifications would lower the resale (God forbid) value of a limited edition like my Robar R9?
 Robar233

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »
Yes

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »
I think it really depends on the work that was done and the buyer. Someone looking at getting a pup and sending it out for the same work would certainly know the value of what was done and the wait time involved. As long as it was professionally done and not something crazy to only one persons taste I don't see a problem.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
I assume Corey is coming from the collector's point of veiw which makes sense.

Me, like Yankee coming from a EDC, shooter's point of veiw, I would have to agree with Yankee.

If I had a stock Robar in one hand and a Robar with well done checkering in the other, for the similar pricing - it's a no brainer - I'm going checkering.