Author Topic: New from Remington  (Read 11314 times)

Offline 72AV8R

New from Remington
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:52 PM »
From a thread on Seecamp forum.  The RM380 sure looks like a modified Rohrbaugh. I wonder if Remington bought Rohrbaugh for the .380 instead if for the 9mm.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/daniel-zimmerman/remington-itroing-three-new-pistols-including-r51/

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: New from Remington
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »

Interesting that they are comparing their .380 to the Rohrbaugh .380 -- and claim slightly different dimensions all the way around.

The rumor is that the .380 will be first, and the 9mm to follow.  That is not an unusual way to approach this type of release.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:23:19 AM »
 Maybe it's just me, but that beavertail seems kind of ugly. Anybody plan on buying one of these? You know, as a research project for the rest of us......

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Ambidextrous grip safety and slide stop suggests that is is perhaps based on an R380/R9, but it certainly has different mechanics.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:43 PM »
Ambidextrous grip safety and slide stop suggests that is is perhaps based on an R380/R9, but it certainly has different mechanics.

SORRY!  I meant ambidextrous mag release.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »

The new design definitely takes away some of the key characteristics that make up a Rohrbaugh R-9.  This new design avoids any bold choices, and makes this a much more generic platform.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline 72AV8R

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
If Remington unveils the RM380 next week at the SHOT Show would that allow the Rohrbaugh brothers to go public with their story?  Also, if Remington changes the R9 like it appears they did the R380 my real R9 is looking better every day.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
If Remington unveils the RM380 next week at the SHOT Show would that allow the Rohrbaugh brothers to go public with their story? 

No, they have a provision in their contract that runs several years from the date of sale.  They can't discuss any of this stuff for a while.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
     I may have missed something, but does Remington plan on making available parts for the R9?
           I quit shooting mine because I'm afraid of not being able to get parts for it. In the past I have shot around 30 to 40 rounds a year with it, but after getting back on this forum a month or so ago, and finding out the company's situation, I worry about loosing or breaking a part and totally rendering it inoperable.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:03:28 PM »

I don't think we know the answer to that yet.  They are taking in R9 pistols for warranty repair.  I suppose that they will fix things or maybe sell parts until the current supply runs out.

After that, I don't know?  Will they machine new parts for guns they don't make anymore?  Doubtful...  Will they offer you a new Remington R-9 as a replacement?  Not sure.

I will try to find someone to inquire about this at the SHOT Show.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 05:14:18 PM »
Have a good trip, Duane. I'll look forward to your reports.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
 While there is little doubt that Williams Gun Sight will take care of repairs, a damaged frame or cracked slide may soon be irreplaceable as the supply of parts runs dry. It pains me to say it, but the time may be coming to take my R9 out of the waistband & put it in the safe as an investment. Maybe a Solo or a Kahr. Not a fan of the redesign as a replacement.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »

That is the sad reality outlook perspective; we may go from "shoot a little and carry a lot" to shoot none and carry a little.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 09:31:14 AM »
I have a 1907 Savage .32 semi-automatic pistol that shoots just fine.  I have only two R9's, the Covert that I carry and another that shoots fine also but which remains a safe-queen.  At age 71, I doubt that I should worry about the life expectancy of a pistol that I carry always and shoot a little, nor would I worry about using the safe queen if necessary for carry or for parts since any inherent increase in value would turn my favorite carry piece into, instead, a mere investment, which has never been my intention.  That being the case, this situation represents the classic concept of "no need to cross that bridge until I get to it (if ever).
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
Having stocked up on spares, I plan to continue carrying R9 132 until I shuffle off this mortal coil. As for what happens to it then, I haven't decided. Perhaps I'll add a codicil to my Last Will & Testament specifying that it should accompany me into the flames at the crematorium.  ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"