Author Topic: Help!  Jammed on spent round  (Read 11669 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Help!  Jammed on spent round
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
Bill.  Your R9 will be in good hands and back to you before you know it.  Again, sorry you had this problem, however, sometimes things just happen.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
I meant top of slide and not top of barrel in my post. You should try it.  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »
Thank to all for your replies and ideas, they are very appreciated.  As several of you have indicated, I suspect that shavings or chips of brass is the problem.   I have exerted all the force I feel comfortable with and it will not budge.   If I had more hand strength the suggestions given the the posts would have probably worked. Having small hands is an advantage when shooting the R9, but not in this case.

I talked to Maria today and I am sending the gun to Rohrbaugh.  I will have to carry my bulky Ruger SR9 until I get the R9 back.  I already miss it.

Thanks,
Bill

The R Bros will take care of you,so sorry that the Pup got bound up!
It is amazing that the extractor was not able to pull/kick that casing out for you!!

Please keep us up to date..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Dudster

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:55 AM »
Good news.  I took the R9 to the local UPS store to send it back to Rohrbaugh. and was told that UPS will ship the gun, but not from one of their stores.  I would have to take it across town, about a 45 minute drive.  They mentioned that perhaps a gun store could ship it.  I went to the store where I bought the R9 and explained the situation to one of the guys there.  He is about 275 lbs. and mostly muscle and was able to force the slide back.  The cartridge then had to be hammered out of the chamber.  Apparently the spent cartridge was slightly larger than 9mm and my repeated dry firings drove the shell casing hard into the chamber.

I cleaned the gun after returning home and the only damage I found was that some of the black coating was worn off some internal parts of the slide.  I also noticed a few very small particles of brass.  After cleaning I hand cycled a clip of ammo through it and everything seems to be working properly.  I'll try to get to the range next week and test it more thoroughly.  I did buy some snap caps while there, but I think that in the future I will practice dry firing with one of my less expensive guns.

It is interesting that virtually all of your recommendations were correct and any would have solved the problem if I had been a bit more agressive.  Thanks for your help!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 07:06:18 AM »
Bill.  Great news, for sure.  Glad everything worked out for the best and the R9 didn't have to leave home.  Thanks for the excellent update.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
Way to go, Bill! Thank you for the report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »
Outstanding!!

Sometimes "excessive" force is what is necessary!! ;)

Looking forward to your shooting report!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Dudster

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
I finally got out to the range the other day to shoot the Rohrbaugh.  The first magazine filled with Speer Gold Dots had no problems, as well as the second containing ball ammo.  I did have an FTE on the third magazine, but I had accidentally loaded Remmingtons instead of the Winchester white box rounds that I usually shoot. I loaded the magazine with Winchesters and did have another FTE.

I am a little disappointed since I am used to flawless performance from the Rohrbaugh.  I gave it a thorough cleaning and will try again.  

Bill

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
Bill.  Thanks for the latest update.  Hope your next outing is a positive one.  Suggestion; shoot the Speer Gold Dots for three magazines, letting the R9 cool down between mags; not a long wait; tolerances are very tight.  Wishing you the best!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
stay away from the round nose ball ammo, too long ie: OAL and continue shooting Gold Dot and white box.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »
The reason I suggest shooting three mags of Gold Dots is to establish a base of confidence that indeed they work; then go to WWB.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
As a long time chief instructor for a major state agency and the state academy I have to say that anyone who advises using fired cases for snap caps is someone that I wouldn't utilize for any instruction.  First, they are difficult to identify from live rounds by any and all students.  Second the act of dry firing will cause the case to get bumped farther and farther into the pistol chamber creating problems of several varieties or causing pieces of the primer or case to cause this type of problem.  Third, all competent and professional instructors should have snap caps either home made and painted red or professionally made available for those drills that call for them during the instruction process.   Fourth, when doing dry fire drills, there should be nothing that even looks like live ammunition in the classroom or in the area while dry firing is being accomplished so that everyone can see that the weapons are in fact clear.  

While I understand the need to dry fire during training and recommend it, I have to say that most modern handguns don't strike the firing pin with sufficient force to damage the firing pin.   So the mere act of dry firing will probably not damage the pistol unless you are doing many hundreds of dry fires or more.    
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 08:13:05 PM »
Ghost:

Your first post is a good one. This member of the choir says, "Amen."

Hang around, please.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:15:05 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
flintsghost.  Welcome to the Forum; excellent first post from me as well.  Do come back often!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
flintsghost, a welcome from me as well.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson