Author Topic: Newbie - WTB R9  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Beacon

Newbie - WTB R9
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
Hello all,
I have been lurking around this site and decided to become a member.  I am in the market for an R9s, still thinking about the variation.  Probably will go new considering the factory warranty but I am open to suggestions.  I tried a Kahr with 3 returns to the factory and gave up on it.  Hopefully the R9 is the solution.    Cheers, Ryan

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
Re: Newbie - WTB R9
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:59:16 PM »
    Beacon, welcome to Rohrbaugh land, hope you enjoy it here as much as I do. If you do decide to buy new I would suggest that contact Tom Watson (The Irish Guard). He can get you one as quick or quicker than anyone else. I've bought five guns from him and been completely satisfied each time. Again, welcome and let us know how it goes.    Gene
birdman

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
Beacon,

I bought my PM40 a few months before I bought my Robar edition R9 last year.
 I have a buyer lined up and I am selling the PM40. The R9 shoots way better. There is no comparison to the quality of the two pistols. The R9 is far and away superior.

Robar233

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:07:24 PM »
Hello all,
I have been lurking around this site and decided to become a member.  I am in the market for an R9s, still thinking about the variation.  Probably will go new considering the factory warranty but I am open to suggestions.  I tried a Kahr with 3 returns to the factory and gave up on it.  Hopefully the R9 is the solution.    Cheers, Ryan

Ryan.  Welcome to the Forum.  Glad you are thinking of getting an R9.  I also endorse Tom Watson, of the Irish Guard, and a member here on the Forum, for a place to get your R9.  Good luck in your selection.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:44:48 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »
Ryan,  Welcome to the group. Good luck on getting a pup.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Beacon

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome.  I have been looking around the forum on all the neat variations that have come out.  Would it be fair to summarize that the standard model advantage is that it get treated at Robar later on while the stealth can't.  I like black carry guns but the idea of potentially less lube for a pocket gun seems interesting.  I apologize and realize I may have posted this in the wrong category (classifieds) now.    

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
Welcome the forum Beacon.

If black is your thing and you want NP3, no need to really compromise.  Just go with Rogaurd.  It comes in two different shades of black and is similar to NP3, but not quite is my understanding.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
Ryan.  Not to disagree with Reinz per se, but all black guns show wear more so than the NP3; even the Covert, which has the Wilson tuff finish.  Just an opinion.  Good luck with your decision.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Beacon

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »
Thanks again for information on the options.  Black wear would/might drive me crazy.  The full NP3's do look really cool too!  I like the matte look.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »
I think KJ is referring to the disappointment that some have shown due to the wear of the black coming off of the barrels.

Obviously there is a lot of friction and stress adjoining at that point.

The key is not to get your barrel blackened.

I have a daily carry 1911 that is Rogaurd on the upper and NP3 on the lower and internals.  Internals, including the barrel.  The Rogaurd has shown no wear in over 3 years of carry.

FWIW, I would get the matte black fiinish, the gloss looks very cheap- like a toy.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:23:29 PM by Reinz »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »

The key is not to get your barrel blackened.

Point taken, however, then you would have a two tone gun.  Not that a two tone is bad.  With the NP3 you also get the internals done which makes cleaning a snap, you have a one tone gun, and without sending it two places.  My thoughts only and not meant to dissuade from others.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
I have the full Np3 all outer surfaces and the internals, couldn't be happier.  :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Beacon,

I had the same problem with my decision. I prefer a black pistol. I got the all black version of a PM40, that I just sold. If the need arises to pull out an R9 it is in defense of myself or my family. At that point the color of the pistol will not make much of a difference. Since the pistol is carried in a pocket holster daily, the NP3 is a huge advantage due to its lubricity. I mentioned it another post that I carried it daily after 25 rounds without cleaning it for about five months. I then fired 60 rounds in a short single range session with no problems at all. The pup ran like a champ!
 Good luck on your research and purchase. I found this forum invaluable.

Robar233

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 05:12:08 AM »

without sending it two places.

Rogaurd IS from Robar, your one stop shop and it has great lubricity as well.

They have a new finish as well, called Poly T-2.

So you can send to just one place.

Sorry about the dreaded two tone, but then you can always go Black with total exterior Rogaurd or Poly T-2 and internals and barrel with NP-3.

There ya go, problem fixed, everyone's happy.

There are plenty of ways to skin that cat.  ;)

http://www.robarguns.com/roguard.htm

http://www.robarguns.com/precision_coatings.htm

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:16:14 AM by Reinz »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Excellent. Rienz.  I stand corrected; very good to know.  Thanks!