Author Topic: Frame scratch  (Read 6223 times)

Offline rooster

Frame scratch
« on: May 14, 2005, 01:38:29 PM »
I have a really small scratch on the backstrap of my frame.  I read the post that you pretty much have to live with it or have the frame re-anodized.  I was thinking of applying a small dab of auto paint that would match the frame color.  Has anyone tried this and if you did what color paint matched the best?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Frame scratch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 04:20:47 PM »
Try a Black Sharpie,  blot it with a rag with just a liittle alcohol.  Can't hurt anything..
RJ=

Offline rooster

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:55:04 PM »
RJ, that might work if I had a black frame, however my frame is grey.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 11:36:16 PM »
Seeing as the frame has an anodic film (really, just a colored electrolytic oxide layer) I doubt this will be easily remedied.  the under surface will be self color and will form its own natural oxide film but - of course, self color.

We all know probably how hard it is to match white paints - equally I'd think it very hard to get such a good match on the frame that the blemish can be disguised, without looking even more apparent.

I guess experiment!  If color not up to snuff - clean off straight away.  You may hit lucky but I'd doubt it!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
rooster

The wiping the black applied with marker may result in a shade of grey,  Wiping with acholol with reduce the black to grey.  It's worth a try,  you have been told it would not be perfect..
RJ=

Offline rooster

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 08:04:13 PM »
The other day I bought a can of auto spray paint.  The bumper of my suv is just about the sme color as my frame.  I beleive the color of the paint was gun metal metallic.  It matched almost perfect.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 09:49:27 PM »
I would try Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.  It seems to color from gray to black depending on how long it's in contact with the metal.  I would apply it with the tip of a toothpick then wash it away immediately.  I'm sure there is some worn anodized aluminum on the slide rails that would be an inconspicuous place to experiment with.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline rooster

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 12:57:18 PM »
Thanks Justin,  I am going to try that next.  The auto paint worked ok but I would like something better.  I think I saw some R9's with a silver finish on their frames.  Is this so?  I would hate to send my pistol back to get its finish reapplied.  i wonder how much rohrbaugh would charge.  It is a really small blemish but it bugs me everytime I see it.  If it was somewhere else it wouldn't bother me.  This is the nicest pistol I own and I would like it to be perfect.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 04:03:40 PM »
Let us know how it works out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 04:19:30 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline rooster

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 04:29:59 PM »
I just ordered it from Brownells.  It ain't cheap. It cost more to ship than price of the item.  Its considered hazmat.  I will let you know how it works out.

Offline rooster

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 08:25:52 PM »
The Birchwood Casey worked,  You can only tell if you are really looking for it.  You have to wipe it off before it turns black. Took only a couple of seconds.  Thanks again Justin.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 10:34:53 PM »
I just ordered it from Brownells.  It ain't cheap. It cost more to ship than price of the item.
I had the same experience with SuperLube! ;D

Offline springer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »
I'm also a new owner of the r9s. Bought the gun new and it already had scratches on the barrel. Didn't exect it to scratch so easily.