Author Topic: Stripped screw-Need advice(Update-Fixed)  (Read 10465 times)

Offline dano1200r

Stripped screw-Need advice(Update-Fixed)
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
New guy here stripped one of the screws. How exactly can you get these out. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I haven't found much with the search function.
Thanks
Dan
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:52:58 PM by dano1200r »

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Stripped screw-Need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
dano1200r,
First, welcome to the forum.  
There is a thread in this Gunsmithing or Mods section on removing stubborn grip screws.  Read that first.
You might want to shoot your R9 a few times and see if (hope that!) the grip screws shoot themselves loose.
If you are impatient like me, and / or can't stand the sight of a buggered screw on your otherwise pristine R9, some surgery is required.
First, you need to apply heat to the fastener.  That will break down the thread locking compound.
Second, I would very carefully try a "GRABIT #1 tool.  
http://www.asseenontv.com/tool_outdoor_pet.html?direction=next&Page=5#most_popular_products
Regular EZ-Outs are too big, but the littlest Grabit may work if you drill just to the bottom of the socket, and then try the 'remove end' of the Grabit tool.  It's really important to heat that screw head with a soldering iron or similar (not an open flame), or you'll never get the screw out.
Third, take your gun to a really good gunsmith and let him sweat over it.

If you're not equipped with the right tools and temperament, you might be better off to skip steps one and two....and go right to Three.

I'm making light of your challenge, but with the right tools and patience, you can get that screw out.  If you haven't done it before, the gunsmith might be the best choice.

As you've already discovered, having a professional quality Allen Wrench is a must when working on Rohrbaugh grip screws.  Also, it's a good idea to have a few spare screws on hand; you won't find those screws at ACO.  Maria at Rohrbaugh can fix you up with spares in short order.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Steve  

Offline dano1200r

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the response. I went to Sears and got their version of the Grabbit and it worked perfect on the first try. There was no Loctite on any of the screws. Luckily, I received 4 extras when Mike sold me the gun. Should I use the Blue Loctite in the future? I've read different opinions and am not sure.
This whole scenario began because after shooting it for the first time, the hammer/trigger became "disconnected". I remembered from the manual that the grip panels had to be on tight to work. So, opened her up and sure enough, the trigger return spring had slid off. Easy enough to get back on, but, I did wind up stripping that 1 screw.
In conclusion, all is now well!

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »
Dan,
Glad to hear that buggered little bugger came out without much of a fight.
Blue Loctite is what I've used.  Just make sure the tube says "low strength", or "disassembles without special tools".  
Lately, though, I'm using clear nail polish.  It holds adequately and is easy to break free for dis-assembly.  Lots cheaper too.  Free, if you have the nerve to swipe it from your wife.

Steve

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Stripped screw-Need advice(Update-Fixed)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:12 AM »
dano.  Glad to hear all is well.  Excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
Steve good advice, Welcome Dan!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »
Steve, I'm very concerned about your comment...using wife's clear nail polish, that is dangerous territory. ;) :D But I'll ask Richard's sage advice on this topic to be sure. ;D Richard, would HERSELF have a problem with this borrowing of female stuff to work on guns? ??? ::)   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
Steve, I'm very concerned about your comment...using wife's clear nail polish, that is dangerous territory. ;) :D But I'll ask Richard's sage advice on this topic to be sure. ;D Richard, would HERSELF have a problem with this borrowing of female stuff to work on guns? ??? ::)   Tom

You betcha!   ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
Just stripped two of my screws lol! Will be buying a Grabit  :P

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
If you would leave them alone, you wouldn't strip anything!    ;D     ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
I was trying to change grips lol...  

So I bought the black and decker #1 version and I may have made things worse. It says to pre drill with 2mm bit then tap the extractor #1 bit in the hole. The extractor bit will not grab when I tap it in. THoughts?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:26:49 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:52:18 PM »
I GOT THEM OUT  ;D Had to drill the extractor counterclockwise and it finally caught!  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:39:48 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
So, CCW.  Did you mess up the screws, or did you have some new ones?  Just curious.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »
I messed up both screws on the left side. I will keep the other two screws just in case. Luckily, I bought new recoil springs, mags, mags springs, and screws when my slide was being replaced for my other R9. Were the grip screws updated? My R8XX screws look different. Anyways, they have all been replaced on my R8XX so I am happy :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:29:06 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
Here is the end result of one of the screws...