Author Topic: Trigger Bar Spring  (Read 14942 times)

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
Trigger Bar Spring
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »
Ok, so what's the trick to getting this thing to stay when one puts the grips back on.  The two posts on my R9 are no more that 1.5mm high (guessing). Does the spring not lay flat when the gun is on its side so one may put the grip back on?   The spring seems to be under both lateral and longitudinal load; and those two posts do not appear high enough for my spring to fit without popping off instantly.

I did order a new spring just to satisfy myself the spring's not bent too much.  It does have ever so slight of a bend midway through the spring.  Since I've never had the grips off I don't know what "normal" is.

Sorry if this question has been asked before,  search didn't seem to pick this one up for me.

Thanks!!!!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Trigger Bar Spring
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:42:34 PM »
Just take a flat head screwdriver and pry the spring open ever so slightly and it will fit and stay put. This has been a problem for many of us in the past and easily resolved once you know the "trick." The other trick is to not remove the grips in the first place as Karl carefully admonished me years ago.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:13:55 AM »
Not sure I understand that flathead comment.  You're talking about the end thing of the spring that fits over the two posts?

And, I would not normally take the grips off; but, I ordered some VZ grips and was getting prepped to put them on when they get here. I was trying to get a head start :)

Thanks again!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
Yes, just slightly open the loop that goes over the posts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:38:09 AM by tracker »

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
Excellent!!!!  Thank you so much!!

Just trying to do maintenance before I'm in for my arm to be fixed.   Bad tennis elbow(s), and I can hardly even rack the slide.  So, right now seemed to be a good time to do maintenance because who knows how bad recovery will be.   Or that's my excuse anyway ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »

Glad it worked for you; if you have a problem with your R9 chances are one of us here have had a similar one. Best of luck on your arm repair and recovery.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:12 PM »
You may want to Get ECR to chime in on this, I think that replacing this spring with a new one may possibly be more in depth than just a simple swap. I seem to recall a special grip that the factory had with a window in it, The triggerbar spring was TUNED by adjusting tension to achieve proper trigger reset. The grip with the window may have been for observing the action during adjustments. Id stick with the original until you ask ECR or have a problem with it that needs addressing.

I could be all wet though?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
Not to preempt Eric's response but I read that the OP only ordered a new spring to compare it with his original. He was concerned with a slight bend in the spring. The slight bend is completely normal as shown in the R9 manual and nothing to worry about or replace.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »
Hello there Mr. BytorJr. . . . . . The trigger springs were always going through a semi-constant "tweak" to get the trigger sear bar in just the right position. I played with those for a few years and they were a pain. lol. . . . but, in the end, I finally got the exact shape we needed to get them in just the right position for the sear to positively engage on the hammer cam and push upward. Not an easy spring design as you can see once you remove the right hand grip panel. There are many turns and twists on it.  Once I finally found just the right angles I needed, I sent my "tweaked spring" off to Walt Wolff so he could make the changes at his end so I did not have to hand bend each spring for each R9 pistol we assembled. They were tedious to do, but, after a while, I knew exactly how much pressure to use to bend the material and have it remain in the perfect position after it was released and in a "neutral" position. You can say that for the most part every R9 trigger sear bar spring was hand bent into position for that particular gun. Our second assembler and an apprentice under me, Donato Fucci Jr., was wonderful to work with and he grasped the correct feel and look of a good trigger spring immediately. I miss working with him. Yes, these pistols were truly one of a kind and each one had to be hand-fit in many areas. It is impossible for me to try and explain "the feel and look " it had to have to work properly. . . . but I would simply put a new spring in my hand, lay it on the frame with the sear bar in place and form the spring to that gun. Nuts I tell you, but after a while, when Walter nailed the new production springs to the design of the one I did by hand, that part of the assembly procedure became much easier and faster to do. Finally, as a few others have pointed out. . . . take two small needle nose pliers and slightly open the two round areas on the spring to fit over the two pins on the frame. If need be, take a small punch and tap the top of the aluminum frame post to widen it once the spring is on it in place. This helps to keep it on the pin. A trick we used at the factory for those that had worn pins that would come back for warranty work. We were working on a better seating pin system for that spring when we sold the company to Remington.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »
I've got my grips off and attempted to put the spring on. Now I have done so before with no problem. Well obviously I've been lucky previously as i still look for the dang spring once in awhile!!
I ordering a couple new ones and have a big plastic bag ready for a possible escape again!!

So tweaking the spring won't affect the trigger pull at all? I have been here a long time and I either missed that trick or forgot it! I do tend to forget more and more these days though....
Thanks and it's always good to know that someone else shares or shared ones own misery! And even better to have the problem fixed.
All the best.
B
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »
This is a old post but if you still have problems send me a p.m. with your phone number and I will send you some camera pics.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
Good man McGee................. uh . . . . . I mean Kevin!    ;)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
Trigger bar spring broke on one of my R9's. Shooting three times a week I break a lot of things. Put in a new spring, it was bent a bit different, but also had to open up one of the holes to fit over the tang. When it was finally together I held the spring down with my fingers and pulled the trigger. Everything was fine. I put the grip back on pulled the trigger and it operated fine BUT the trigger would not reset, I had to pull it back every time I wanted to fire it.

Took it all apart and all was in order. I once again held the spring in place and it was perfect. As soon as I put the grip back on it would not reset. I then after MUCH thought, and MUCH obscenities I thought maybe another grip. I swapped with another R9 and now they BOTH work perfectly.

Who sought have thought there was such tight tolerances.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »
Tolerances are tight on the R9 pistols. Made them tough, but not impossible, to build.   ;)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
I appreciated the offer of help guys! 8)
It was some time ago that happened for me.
I tell you what though,I do not want to deal with that side of my Pup ever again! I opened up the ends like suggested and it was still very tight. It surprised the heck outta me when it finally held!!
Alls well that ends well!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe