Author Topic: DOUBLETAP  (Read 80849 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: DOUBLETAP
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »
The reason is simple: it is a .45 BUG for close quarters stopping power.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »

But it does make me think about what goes into a decision to carry one of these.  It's larger than a Rohrbaugh, slightly heavier empty and it only holds 2 rounds.

I'm looking at it as an ideal companion/backup for the P45 or STI Shadow.  Plus it's .45 acp.  Also I am intrigued by the double action hammer-less design aspect of it.  Finally, this would be the first titanium gun I ever owned.  Lots of reasons for me to be interested in this one.

Website shows 9mm will also be available so it may well be a great companion for the R9 too.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:34 AM »
I'm going to have to buy it, I know I have to  buy it.

At one time I was debating getting a Ruger Police 9, and I sort of talked myself out of it - now I regret it.

I was debating getting an HK 94 when they were first available and I told myself it was too expensive for a carbine.  Now I really really regret that.

I also wanted the American Derringer DA-9 and I talked myself out of that and I regret that.

I was going to get the Ruger SP101 in 9mm and I passed on it and I regret it.

No more regrets.

Like I said - unless I find out that this thing explodes, sending deadly shrapnel into my face...  I will end up buying this.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
I was going to get the Ruger SP101 in 9mm and I passed on it and I regret it.

Sad story for me recently.  Walked into a local shop and there sits a SP101 9mm in very good condition for $450.  No box or paperwork.  Thought it high considering no box or paperwork so I decided to "think about it" even though I've always regretted not getting a S&W 940 or SP101 9mm when they were both still being made.  Checked the Ruger boards to see if the price was reasonable and also that I could still get moon clips for it.  Yes on both questions so I went back to the store 2 days later with cash in my pocket and ready to deal.  It was gone.........

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:17:16 AM by Ljutic »
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
Good for you, C0unt; sounds like you've been won over; excellent decision.

I also like the ambidextrous thumb latch; auto ejects spent rds.

http://heizerfirearms.com/barrel_1x1.htm

Ljutic; sorry you missed that SP101; maybe another will come along.  Here's hoping.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:23:06 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
I wonder about all the porting, and losing muzzle velocity.
It’s not even toward the muzzle so how much is it going to counter-act muzzle climb?

For the 9mm, I would think that if you port that barrel that much you’d move the 9mm more toward the range of a 380 auto coming out of the longer barrels of some of the larger 380 pistols.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
All easily tested.....just need one in hand to compare it to other 3" .45s.

Just did a ported vs. standard barrel test last weekend.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2011/10/diamondback-db9-standard-versus.html

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »

Thanks for sharing the test results. The DB9 Comp barrel looks quite civilized and effective.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
A gun this small in .45 ACP probably has to be ported but I still have a problem with ported defense handguns because of the inherent danger of hot gases and increased noise level. No doubt, there will be sufficient demand to overcome these objections.

None of the current crop of Derringers are ported.

Bond
American Derringer
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »

Has anybody here shot one of those little cherry bombs?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »
I'm surely looking forward to doing so!    :)  Looked at a Bond .45/410 today at a gun show; came very close to owning it;  walked by it, three times, and probably the forth would have done the persuasion; until the next time.    :)

This was it!     :)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:13:40 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »

Looks dangerous to me--cocked and locked not recommended.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
It has a safety, that stays on until hammer is cocked!    :D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »

Any number of things could cock that hammer besides an intentional thumb move--I'll pass.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2011, 09:27:43 PM »
Any number of things could cock that hammer besides an intentional thumb move--I'll pass.

Yep!  I passed today, too.  Next time, maybe not!    ;)