Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Gunsmithing or Modifications for your Rohrbaugh

Grip screw wil not come out......

<< < (2/7) > >>

margator:
i had no problem getting the screws out using the hex ball driver recommended on the forum. I installed new VZ grips using their screws with no problem. I decided to go back to the original Grips that came on the R9 and had them on for awhile. When I tried to remove the grips for a good cleaning I discovered the bad screw. Since i am not mr. Handy I will send back for service. The DIY method leads me to believe things will only get worse! thx 4 ur help!

kjtrains:
Good decision, margator.    :)

yankee2500:

--- Quote ---i had no problem getting the screws out using the hex ball driver recommended on the forum. I installed new VZ grips using their screws with no problem. I decided to go back to the original Grips that came on the R9 and had them on for awhile. When I tried to remove the grips for a good cleaning I discovered the bad screw. Since i am not mr. Handy I will send back for service. The DIY method leads me to believe things will only get worse! thx 4 ur help!
--- End quote ---

I have used the Hex ball drivers but prefer the Non Ball type.
   The ball portion of the driver offers less contact surface on the screw with the rounded top and bottom areas of the ball.

kjtrains:

--- Quote ---margator.  If you have an easy out, a new screw, and a small soldering iron, you may can do it yourself.  Tracker reminded us of Slater's idea of heating up the screw to soften the loctite.  Then use the easy out to back out the screw.  

If you don't want to tackle this, I would send it back to the factory, unless you do have a very trustworthy gunsmith.  Just my thoughts.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Margator:

I've been there myself:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1190497569;start=10#10

If you decide to go the "DIY" route, just be sure to use a quality damaged screw remover of the right size and take your time. I would also follow the advice of Tracker and Steve on heating the screw a little with a soldering iron in order to help break the adhesion of any Loctite that may have been applied to the grip screw.

In recent years, I've been using miniature rubber O-rings under the grip screws of my R9. They work for me.

Good luck!
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hmmmm!    ;)

Reinz:
I remember Richard's success with the drill going very slowly in reverse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version