Author Topic: R45 in 45 GAP?  (Read 21401 times)

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
R45 in 45 GAP?
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
I wonder if the Rohrbaugh brothers have considered the 45 GAP cartridge instead of the 45 ACP for the R45??  I know...I was skeptical of the 45 GAP -- until I shot one.  I have two G39s -- and they are great CCWs.  The 45 GAP would allow for an R45 in a similar footprint as the R9.  I would buy one if they'd make it -- and since 10% of the State Police agencies in the US are now using the 45 GAP, I'm thinking there would be a good law enforcement market for the R45 "GAP" as a back-up pistol.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
Re: R45 in 45 GAP?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
I second that thought.  The 45 GAP is the ACP's equal in terms of performance and has the same cartridge length, so grip length (front to rear) and barrel/slide functioning should be similar to the 9x19, and Speer makes some very nice Gold Dot loads in the caliber.  One might expect that it could be the very same footprint except perhaps for width and cartridge capacity (5+1?). 

Rohrbaugh could offer an optional stainless frame to boot which might help some recoil sensitive shooters.  Add front and rear grip strap checkering and I would be a happy camper.

I have spent range time with two Para LDA's in 45 GAP (a 3" & a 3.5") and they are very nice shooters.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to the R45, but I probably wouldn't be able to buy one at least until the end of this year if not next year so it's no hurry for me. I'm getting along just fine with my old Kahr's and AMT Backup .45 for subcompact ccw. I'm hoping the R45 will excel at being a super lightweight backup weapon like the R9 does.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:11:07 AM by PsychoSword »

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:47:26 AM »
Here's the official word from Boberg Arms regarding their pocket 45 design -- and image overlays...

Reply by Arne Boberg on Thursday
I actually started working on the design of a .45 GAP two days ago - my goal is to get some 3D images out in the next few weeks. However, this gun will require a lot of investment and testing, and is at least two years out before getting to a pre-order stage - and that is IF it works. The dynamics of this much fatter cartridge will be totally different - this is not an easy undertaking.

Here is an overlay of the proposed XR45 Micro GAP (in blue) versus the XR9-S (in black) versus the Beretta Tomcat .32 in red:

The barrel length of the .45 would be 3.09".

Rohrbaugh R9S (red), Boberg XR45-Micro GAP (proposed in blue) and Rohbaugh R45S (prototype):

Rohrbaugh R9S with centered overlay on proposed XR45-Micro GAP:

[/QUOTE]

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:40:30 AM by flyandscuba »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
I'll have to pass on a 45 GAP pistol, ammo availability is just not there and I don't see it getting better. In time the Gap will be like the 41mag and the 16 ga shotgun.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
I have zero problem finding ammo for 45 GAP - either target/range or self defense....especially if you order from the internet.  The prices have dropped to those on par with 45 ACP as well.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »
Talked to Eric today and .45 GAP is not in the cards.  They are not trying to make a tiny .45, so there is no reason to go outside the mainstream.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »
Good to know -- thanks!

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
I would take a R45GAP in a heartbeat just to get that big of a slug in such a small package. I am so disappointed by the introduction of a tan R9 instead of an any color R45 it is not even funny. If an R45 GAP can look like and almost be the size of an R9 it will look great.
  I have to say that the looks of a pistol should keep me from buying it. But that Boberg is the ugliest pistol I have seen. No, I guess that .45ACP we dropped out of aircraft to the resistance in WWII was uglier.

Robar233

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
That ugly .45 dropped to the resistance might be quite valuable today. I hope it worked for them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:53:57 PM by tracker »

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »
Here is a blog that Arne has started to document the development of the XR45-Micro-GAP in the event that you wish to follow the progress of a true pocket-size pistol in .45 Caliber:

http://www.bobergarms.com/profiles/blogs/building-the-xr45-micro-gap

In addition, here is an overlay that he has worked up -- showing the Kahr PM45 in comparison to the XR45-Micro-GAP:

A significant difference in size, don't you agree?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »
I think it's a mistake to make the gun in the 45 GAP caliber, it lacks popularity and a small production item like the Boberg will do nothing to help that. Many shooters will avoid buying one because they don't want to add another caliber to there list and reloaders will will do the same, also ammo is not  readily available.
  It would be better in the 45acp or go with the 40 S&W which is the second most popular caliber being shot today.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
Nope -- it's going to be 45 GAP due to the shorter OAL to make the pistol as small as possible.  If someone wants a pocket 45 and is willing to spend $1K to buy it -- they'll have no problem buying the ammo to go with it!  The GAP-haters don't like it, but the 100-year-old 45 ACP offers nothing to this particular pistol design.

The higher pressure - and corresponding higher slide velocity of the 40 S&W is not desireable either -- sorry.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:25:54 PM by flyandscuba »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »
I don't sense that there is an overabundance of .45 G.A.P. [Glock Automatic Pistol] haters but, rather, a lack of 45 GAP lovers. In fact, Glock is the only manufacturer that still makes a pistol for the .45 GAP. This is not only an ambitious endeavor but an uphill marketing climb if it goes past the prototype stage. To date, five L.E. agencies have approved this caliber, not an overwhelming endorsement.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:08:36 PM by tracker »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
I'm not a GAP hater or lover, it is what it is, a dying breed, the GAP is like the 41mag the 16GA and the Edsel.
It may be the GAP but it's just a plain dumb idea, but companies can learn from there mistakes, if it doesn't put them out of business.
  Pretty foolish to spend 1k on a gun you will have trouble getting ammo for.
There are very few GAP shooters and I'm sure of that. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson