Author Topic: Win for a good guy in Texas.  (Read 523 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Win for a good guy in Texas.
« on: January 05, 2024, 10:43:12 AM »
Don't know if some of you all caught this story a year or so ago about a shooting at a Houston restaurant.  It made the rounds of the firearm community as it was something many places in this country would have immediately charged and convicted the victim of murder in some form or fashion. 

Not only did the man fire a coup de grace, he left the scene of the defensive shooting.  (After returning the other victims their heisted property.)
Most of the videos stop at the moment of the shooting, however older ones do show him standing over the man and finishing the job. 

All has ended well as a grand jury did not indict him and he is clear of the charges.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/customer-fatally-shot-robber-houston-taqueria-wanted-questioning/story?id=96294463

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-grand-jury-declines-to-charge-man-who-shot-and-killed-robber-inside-taqueria

Would this be the expected outcome where you live?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:50:13 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Win for a good guy in Texas.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 07:47:44 PM »
Maybe the tide is turning, finally!  My family/clan motto is “Safe by my own effort” in Latin, of course….why the 2ne amendment is so important to us all.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 10:15:56 PM »
From looking back at a lot of legal 'experts' right after the event, don't think any of them expected this to be outcome.  I tried to find an easy to view unedited video of the entire incident.

Pretty much everyone agrees that shots 1-4 were legal self defense.  Shots 5-8, as the bad guy laid on the ground unarmed, get into a grey area and depending on your location, prosecutor, etc. may or may not be considered criminal.  Didn't see one lawyer say that the 9th shot to the head (paying the insurance as they would say on safari in Africa) was not going to get the good guy into hot water.  The Harris county prosecutor is a Soros funded democrat.  Glad citizens of this county on the grand jury don't think like she does.

My family/clan motto is “Safe by my own effort”

I like it.  Been looking for a Latin quotation to place on a high school graduation gift (AR-15) a group of us are putting together for a outstanding young man.  Top part of his class, just got his Eagle Scout, athlete, university bound, all around good guy.  That is now in the running.  Is it 'Tutum meo labore'  ???
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:23:11 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:21:05 AM »
The quote is “Marte Suo Tutus”. (Safe by my own exertion/effort, by implication “safe without outside help”, the Byers Clan motto.  Byers Clan is a sept of the Lindsay Clan, which holds another meaningful motto: “Endur Fort” (Endure with strength)…enough Latin for today folks!   ;D
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 08:36:21 PM »
Which Latin translator are you using?  I'm getting different translations.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 09:40:19 AM »
Just Google the phrase, get multiple offerings….
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis