Author Topic: Not a range report but I did get a chance to appreciate the R9  (Read 5840 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
I had a job interview this morning, and my policy is to try to carry all the time unless I am going to a place where it is prohibited.  I wore a suit and tie to the interview, business slacks, no special belt but even so -  the R9 doesn't make my pants hang crooked and the R9 disappears into my pocket and is hardly noticeable.   If the outline does show at all, it looks like a wallet or even a phone.  Its so lightweight I hardly notice it.

There just isn't another 9mm semi-auto that you can do that with.

The only other 9mm gun that I could carry so inconspicuously and with such comfort would be the DoubleTap Defense Double Tap derringer, and lacking the short-recoil operation, that thing is hell to shoot and hard to hang on to (I still might get one anyway) :)

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Not a range report but I did get a chance to appreciate the R9
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
I agree, I love my R9 and carry daily!. The other 9mm's I have that are small still seem huge compared to the pup and they are a 709 slim and Ruger LC9s Pro.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
Ya, I also have the Kahr CM9 and it is larger than the dimensions Kahr lists on their website.  And while I like the CM9, it is a lot larger in the pocket than the R9

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
I had a job interview this morning, and my policy is to try to carry all the time unless I am going to a place where it is prohibited.  I wore a suit and tie to the interview, business slacks, no special belt but even so -  the R9 doesn't make my pants hang crooked and the R9 disappears into my pocket and is hardly noticeable.   If the outline does show at all, it looks like a wallet or even a phone.  Its so lightweight I hardly notice it.

There just isn't another 9mm semi-auto that you can do that with.

The only other 9mm gun that I could carry so inconspicuously and with such comfort would be the DoubleTap Defense Double Tap derringer, and lacking the short-recoil operation, that thing is hell to shoot and hard to hang on to (I still might get one anyway) :)

While out at the Remington Product Development and Research Facility in Kentucky last summer, Karl & I both shot the Double Tap derringer in .45 ACP. Word to the wise: Don't buy one of those! It hurt so bad and was totally uncontrollable. I was close and missed the target by a mile! Good thing we were in a test firing tunnel! I wouldn't even try shooting it again to ignite the second round! I gave it back to the tech who handed it to me and said: "No thanks." . . . . A horrible thing it is. . . . absolutely horrible.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
The only comparable 9mm for carry is the Kimber Solo.  I have both, but carry tghe R9 exclusively...it just somehow feels better and truly disappears into my pocket or belt holster.  The R9 is still IMHO the absolutely best compromise between size and power for a carry weapon.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »
Thank you backup. . . . . .  8)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »
If I did get the DoubleTap, I'd probably load it with the 100 gr Hornady FTX® Critical Defense® Lite.  Its more like a 380 ACP than a 9mm.

I'll admit it is more of a novelty gun that I just want for the sake of having it.

The things are getting very cheap now.  When they first came out they were a whopping $600  And they're still listed at $599.00 at Gander Mountain, but  in reality you can buy them NIB now for $175.00 - cheaper if you really search.

There was some interest in this gun, even in 9mm at first but on the forums I would always counter that the thing was basically the same size and weight of a Rohrbaugh R9 but with a lot less rounds.  But that was when those derringers were a lot more expensive.

I thought it made sense in 45 for those people who would never carry anything less than a 45 for self defense - there are still people out there with that mindset.  But in 9mm it didn't make sense, at least not at 600 bucks a gun. 

But at $175 it kind of tempting :)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »
With a huge price drop like that it shows you the novelty wore off. . . . . and quickly at that! Frankly, I don't see them being around much longer. . . . . but that's just my opinion. . . . . .  8)