Author Topic: The New Auto Mag Company  (Read 30615 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
The New Auto Mag Company
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
I never thought this would happen but the New Auto Mags are in production as I type this.

They started production with a "Limited Founder's Edition" which is an Auto Mag with an 8 1/2" VR barrel, polished upper, and wood grips to mimic the gun Dirty Harry used in "Sudden Impact".  The Founder's Edition is limited to 50 guns and is sold out.

A friend of mine who is consulting with the owners forwarded these 'work in process' photos to me.

The gun is the 8 1/2" version and the barrels on the mat are the 6 1/2" style.

Looking Good!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:47:44 PM by MRC »

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: The New Auto Mag Company
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »
Have they priced them yet?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »

The Founder's Editions are priced at $3995.00.

The standard 6 1/2" models have a wait list at $3495.00.

Here is a link to their website, click on store for gun and part prices.

http://www.automag.com/

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
That is a man's gun as opposed to a gentleman's pistol.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
I've had Auto Mags for 20+ years and they really are pretty easy to shoot. With comparable loads, the Auto Mag is easier to shoot well than my 6", 629 Smith.The 357 AMP is the same case as the 44 and is really a nice shooting round.

I had to put the money up front for the Founder's Edition and I talked with the owner a long time before ordering.  He seems like a great guy.  I know several of the guys who have been helping without pay and they assured me everything is alright with the deal.

The owner has been writing checks now for 2 1/2 years without any income, I wish him well.  It is something he has always wanted to do and is not in it for the money.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Nothing BETTER than when a quality gun comes back, nothing sadder when doors are closed.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Update on the New Auto Mags.

I'm impressed so far with what I have seen.

https://read.automag.com/october-2017-update-3bfecfafc74b

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Good news!

The new Auto Mags started to ship today.  I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
Good news!

The new Auto Mags started to ship today.  I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

Because of health issues I have been thinning out my collection and am TRYING to not buy any more handguns, well except for the four Stars and a S&W, 13 BUT I have always wanted one. How long, time wise, is the list?

That is actually cheaper than my Cabot but a LOT cooler.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:18:04 PM by kevinqjhps »
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
I have always loved this handgun. Beautiful workmanship.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
I have always loved this handgun. Beautiful workmanship.

Thanks Eric, I have had Auto Mags for over 20 years and I am still fascinated with them.  I never thought I would see them come out again.  The owner has been at it for 3 years and is just shipping now.

I emailed him to see where my AMP sat in the lineup and he said I was in the first 20 and it should go out in a couple of days.  With any luck I should have it by the end of the week.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 05:52:25 AM »
We can hardly wait to see a few photos of her upon receipt!  Congratulations!  Very early serial number and build. Cool.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »
The first run that they put out is a special edition with the 8 1/2" barrel with wood grips trying to copy the gun Dirty Harry used in "Sudden Impact".  I think they had about 75 barrel blanks so that is how many they are running.  They are calling it "The Founder's Edition" and will have special serial numbers "FE-XX".  I think it is a good idea for the start up of an existing design.

For the movie "Sudden Impact" they produced a blank firing AMP to use in the movie serial number CLINT-1.  They also produced a firing copy and gave it to Clint Eastwood and as far as anyone knows, he still owns it.  It is serial number CLINT-2.  A friend of mine in Florida bought the movie gun and still has it.

Here are some cool pictures.  Larry Grossman is the man who hand built the "CLINTS".

http://www.amtguns.net/amt-information/galleries/photos-from-larry-grossman/#jp-carousel-1792

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
Those are beautiful guns! Enjoy!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »
Great looking gun. Have to say I appreciate function and form in a gun.

I might try to find "Sudden Impact" this weekend as it's been years since I've seen it.

Thanks for the pictures
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)