Author Topic: A couple of questions concerning failures  (Read 43444 times)

Offline shelb

• Expert
A couple of questions concerning failures
« on: August 03, 2004, 01:10:18 PM »
Question 1:
Yesterday at the range, the trigger spring on my r9s came off the posts of the frame under the grip.  The grip screw upper grip screw on that side was  little loose, but the grip was still flush to the frame.  It operates smoothly now that I have reassembled it.  I will test it at the range tomorrow.  Anyone else experienced this before?

Question 2:
How stiff is your extractor spring?  Mine seems fairly stiff, but can be pushed in with my finger.  The reason that I ask is that I have had several fte's the last two times at the range.  I initially thought that it might be my own error, but I still encountered a few after making a concious effort to avoid limp wristing.  I was using batch practice speer gold dots both times.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
Re: A couple of questions concerning failures
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:42:31 AM »
Hi Shelb,

I haven't gotten my R9S yet, but if I were having the problems that you are having, I would call the factory and see about getting them straightened out. All of my contacts with the Rohrbaughs have been positive.

Frank

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:26:52 AM »
I agree.  Give Rohrbaugh a call.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys.

I intend on contacting Rohrbaugh, but I wanted to draw upon the experiences of the fine folks here and ensure that I fully understand the nature of the problems before I make the call.  I know the Rohrbaugh's are extremely busy, and I certainly did not want to waste their time if it was something that I am causing.

I went to the range earlier today to see if I could repeat the failures.  After ~60 rounds, the trigger spring dislocated from the frame in the same fashion as before.  I did take special care to firmly tighten the grip screws before my range session.  However, the upper screw on the side of the trigger assembly had worked its way loose once again.  As the grip provides a mating surface for the trigger spring to track within, I am certain that the any displacement of the grip due to a loose screw may be causing this phenomenon.  Anyone use locktight on their screws?

Fte/ftf.  I was hoping someone might chime on their extractor stiffness.  From this session, I still fear that the feed problems I encounter might be of my own causing.  Fortunately, I did not encounter any fte's during this session.  Out of the ~60 rounds 5 failed to feed correctly.  3 were easily loaded by pulling back the slide the rest of the way, and 2 never cleared the clip.

I will update you as I discover more.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 03:37:43 PM by shelb »

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 04:58:59 PM »
I just spoke with Eric over the phone and thought I would update everyone per our discussions.

First, what great customer service!  I do not know any company where you get that kind of personal attention.

Trigger spring:  Eric suggests using 222ms loctite.  I think that may have been mentioned somewhere else on this forum as well.  It is important to note, that the grip screws can loosen in as few as 50 rounds (as it did in this case causing my trigger spring to dislocate).....so bring your allen wrech to the range or use loctite!

FTF/FTE:  Eric assures me, as is evidenced by many here, that limp wristing will not be problem for a firm and supported grip.  I will try a couple more sessions at the range to see if the problem lies with me and my grip.  I also intend on buying a fresh batch of the 115gr gold dots to ensure that it is not the 115gr gold dot practice ammo from ammoman.  Hopefully, more to come........

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 09:00:19 PM »
My first range session with my #128 R9s produced about a 30+% FTE. :(  Second range session with different ammo was not statistically better. >:(  I sent it back to the factory, and the problem was that the extractor spring was too weak.  The boys replaced it and I've had no more FTE's in over 200 rounds. ;D  FYI, originally, I could depress the back end of the extractor very easily with a finger.  When I got the gun back with the new spring, it was so stiff I had to use my thumb nail to depress it.  BIG difference!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 09:55:48 PM »
Thx for info Shelby - this sorta feedback is vital.  I certainly think the extractor does need quite a strong spring, tho not sure what rating the fitted one is meant to have.

I have had rapid loosening of upper grip screw on right tho - not enough to prejudice the trigger operation.  It does tho I quickly realized need regular checking - plus if possible addition of the Loctite.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 09:14:52 AM »
After about 400 rounds through my R9s, my grip screws are still so tight that I cannot loosen them (I stopped trying just short of what I thought would strip the hex hole).  Don't know if this is a good thing or not.  I don't like gun parts to shoot loose, but I do like to be able to disassemble a piece for cleaning/inspection.  But hey--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 11:17:22 AM »
Probably just the loctite.
I understand your fears, however.....I hold my breath everytime I snug the little things in place.  Wouldn't take much to mangle the hex hole.

Perhaps sometime in the future you could get a replacement set in case you do strip them in disassembly.  Be prepared though....once they have been loosened you must either reapply loc tite or tighten every 40-50 rounds. :)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 06:43:10 PM »
I can push my extractor with my fingers too.  I just went to the range today and had a ton of failures especially with WWB JHP.  It did get better in the last 35 or so rounds of CCI Blazer.  Should I call Rohrbaugh?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 07:27:11 PM by Incursion »

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 07:44:42 PM »
I can push my extractor with my fingers too.  I just went to the range today and had a ton of failures especially with WWB JHP.  It did get better in the last 35 or so rounds of CCI Blazer.  Should I call Rohrbaugh?

I have not fired the WWB JHP personally, but I believe others here have used them with success.  Someone else may be able to chime in here.

It is easy to limp wrist with the R9S, so take special care to avoid it.  Not accusing you of doing it, but something to be aware of.  If you are experince a high frequency of failures, then I would call Eric.  The Rohrbaughs are very friendly and take good care of their customers.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 08:55:27 PM »
Incursion - welcome!  :)

Shelby is right re limp-wristing ... but otherwise just perhaps you have a weaker extractor spring .. I believe (tho forget who) we had someone else with a similar problem and it was fixed.  Wish I could remember accurately.

I have fired quite a bit of WWB ball ammo - and that was good - but so far not tried the JHP.  Maybe I must try and get some and add that to my list for next test session.  I already have some Win ''Ranger'' 147 ammo dobrien sent me, waiting on some tests.

I have not thought to ask Eric but - I wonder if there is any simple test to be able to assess whether the extractor spring tension is adequate.  Something else i must try and establish ... some sorta ''rule of thumb'' to go by.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 09:22:18 PM »
I'll shoot it again and report back.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 03:44:05 PM »
I shot another 75 rounds and had 3 failures.  50 Blazer FMJ and 25 147 gr. Ranger T.  I'm going to shoot it some more because I still don't fully trust it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 10:41:14 PM »
Not good!!  

Can you ellucidate on those failures at all?  Be good to know ... type, ammo at time etc.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site