Author Topic: A couple of questions concerning failures  (Read 43848 times)

Offline shelb

• Expert
Re: A couple of questions concerning failures
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2004, 05:28:18 PM »
Very educational, thanks to Incusrion and Jax for their patience and troubleshooting.  Now the bigger question....what specifically is the culprit?  Please keep us updated as to what the Rohrbaugh's might think the problem is.  A trip to the range yesterday afternoon yielded 4 failures out of 7 magazines.  :-[  Two from my shooting and two while a friend was firing it.  Will make another trip to the range later this week.

The ejection of Gold Dots was problematic on basically every shot.  What Incursion hasn't mentioned is that when his pistol *did* eject the GDs, it tossed the cases straight back into his face.  He had multiple strikes to his safety glasses and even had a couple of minor cuts on his forehead (with blood!) by the time we were done.  Blazer cases were ejected better, but we still saw some FTX issues.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  I get hit in the forehead about once every other magazine......stings a bit!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2004, 05:44:08 PM »
Quite a litany of problems indeed.

I have to wonder if (mag release aside - and that's a puzzle to me cos I think that release is using main spring .. other end of spring from hammer in other words) the prime issue here was the rear disk coming unscrewed from guide rod.  IIRC it is not welded but secured with a near permanent sorta locktite.  I did have my original one unscrew a half turn or so and Eric asked for it back ... replacing same for me.

Now even a half turn is significant .. in as much as it effectively lengthens the guide rod! I feel that this might be the crux of the problem .. and it is not something in early stages that would be noticed by many people.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2004, 06:11:51 PM »
Chris,
Do I remember correctly you posting a picture of yours when it backed off slightly?  Is it supposed to be flush with the end disc?  Or perhaps you could post a picture of one that is correctly intact and mention it on your FAQ site?
Thanks,
Shelby
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 06:12:31 PM by shelb »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2004, 09:27:36 PM »
Shelby - indeed ... yes I posted a pic of mine .. have to dig for it ..... ah, found it.  This was something I only spotted when I did this pic' ..... it is just apparent if you look hard.

I will put that pic on the site I think .. thx for reminding me I even had it!  Maybe then too an extra one to show normal as a comparison.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI - I have added a page to the ste just on this very matter ... including that pic ... thx again Shelby for the timely reminder.

Recoil assembly matters
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 10:27:03 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Jax

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2004, 01:41:12 AM »
R95Carry,

On your picture, it looks like there ought to be a small collar of some sort standing proud of the disk which the small guide rod screws into.

Incursion's guide rod came apart right at the edge of the disk, with just a smidge (technical term =  ~ 1/16" ) of threading showing on the rod.

Jax

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2004, 12:35:55 PM »
Jax - from what you describe it'd seem that something sheered .... indeed, from the collar/disk, there should be a boss -  the whole being threaded thru. Going from memory, the disk and boss should look roughly like this .... quick sketch ...

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2004, 12:44:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it did shear.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2004, 01:07:40 PM »
Is it possible that you didn't receive a completely new gun from Rohrbaugh when you returned the first one?  Perhaps they felt the problem was with the frame, and swapped frames but gave you the same slide you had before - and that the real problem has to do with the slide.

Just brainstorming how you'd end up with two bad ones...
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2004, 01:51:03 PM »
No, he said the whole thing was new.

Spoke to Eric.  They seem anxious to get the gun back which is a good thing.  They've decided to reimburse all of my shipping costs which was greatly appreciated as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:28:52 PM by Incursion »

Offline Ben S

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2004, 11:11:11 PM »
Hey guys, I don't post all that much as I am very busy, but I have been following this thread for awhile. Incursion, your r9s failures echo my first guns performance almost to a tee, FTE's were the name of the game. That gun (a very early one)was sent back to Eric and promptly destroyed, upon recieving my second test gun (my test gun, I pay for them out of my pocket) I proceeded to test it and following Eric and Karls advice on using superlube. (The two of them were convinced I never lubed gun #1 but in reality I was using CLP and EEZOX neither of which is a grease, but this was way before there was ever an issue which I'm sure is partially due to my returned gun!) Anyway, the second gun continued the lousy performance of the first right up to the 440 round mark, since then I have caught brass in the head and had a few (six) Failure to Eject the last case but only with military ball ammo. The gun is now on round 820 and seems to gobble up anything I put in it (except the military ball) I haven't gotten back to Eric in awhile but if your reading this (I know you do sometimes) I will send more details soon.
 I guess the reason for this lenghty letter is to let you know you are not the only one who has had difficulties, and if you think the services is good and the gun has merit than keep trying till you get it all worked out. after all it IS just a machine (no matter what some enthusiasts think ;) and is apt to fail. Hell I've had J-frames lock up and officer models eat themselves! If your looking for a truly portable lightweight weapon of tremendous devistating affect that doesn't jam break or leave you hanging in close social events I suggest a Cold Steel SRK!  

Offline Ihue

« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2004, 09:57:54 PM »
Just got my R9s. Fired 80rds of Remington UMC 115gr.
Four FTE's. One brass was fully still in chamber and came out easily with fingernail. Got hit in the head about six times on extractions. Used pistol just as received from factory.

Have superlube on order. Looking to order gold dot. (The "recalled" gold dots were for primer failures, I think Speer was claiming 1 in 50,000 were defective.)

Any recommendations on 115gr or 124gr Gold dot? Read somewhere that 124gr was more effective as a defensive round in a short barrel compact.

Anyone else used Remmingtom UMC ammo?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:25:58 PM by Ihue »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2004, 10:17:54 PM »
Ihue ... welcome to the forum ... and congrats on your new R9  :)

UMC? ... not over keen on it - always seems dirty and the one sample I tested to chrono was showing a big spread ... and ME came out real low - 218 ft lbs!  I forget it's reliability factor in my R9 but - do not remember it as being high on my list of choices.  As plinking ammo it'll do but, probably expect the ocassional malfunction.

Gold Dots .. well my pref is 115's tho - current carry is 124.  Go to the new FAQ site I am working on (link in my sig) ... and there are links on that to other test pages .. if you look at expansion performance pics I'd say 115's have an edge ..... tho they are similar in energy.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Ihue

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2004, 10:24:42 PM »
Well UMC was cheap. Just got it for breakin and practice. I take your point on vel spread. Shot my Glock 27 same day 90% in the black. The UMC in R9 was all over the place!
Fliers that I'm sure weren't me.

Offline HLG

« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2004, 12:15:22 AM »
Has Incursion got his R9s back yet or heard anything from Eric?

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2004, 11:44:25 AM »
I haven't gotten it back yet.  The gunsmiths were at some convention in Ft. Worth this week.