Author Topic: A couple of questions concerning failures  (Read 43849 times)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
Re: A couple of questions concerning failures
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2004, 04:04:32 PM »
I'm getting it back tomorrow.  Eric says that they changed the extractor, reamed the chamber, and changed out the mags and recoil assembly.  They said the mags were out of spec which is strange because he said they hand checked two of them when they sent them out to me.

Also, he said that my reclassified 115 gr. Speer Gold Dot jammed like crazy.  

Haven't you guys been using that stuff?  The reclassified Speer from ammoman.com?

I plan to shoot it on Saturday and will report back.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2004, 04:47:04 PM »
Yes - the reclassified Speer 115gr Gold Dot is almost exclusively what I've fired in mine.  It is IDENTICAL to standard 115gr Gold Dot, it was simply reclassified due to something other than dimensions (I had heard that there were some hard primers, but others say otherwise).
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2004, 04:56:50 PM »
It's stuff like this that irks me.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2004, 05:42:19 PM »
Well, what was the Gold Dot stuff reclassified for?

There is no variation in OAL?  What about the powder charge?  

There must be a reason its reclassified.  I was under the assumption that it was like X-out golf balls -- anything not up to snuff gets sold at a bargain price with a big disclaimer.

I pay golf with Titelist X-outs, but I'm no Tiger Woods.

When this gun gets back Incursion, please feed it factory first 115g Gold Dots and see what happens.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2004, 06:02:14 PM »
I plan to use Blazer since I don't have any first class Gold Dot right now.  It was reclassified because of the primers.  Remember, I shot this exact same ammo in Jax's gun with no problems.

Offline HLG

« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2004, 08:48:54 PM »
I have shot about 250 rounds of the re-classified 115 gr Gold Dots in my R9S with no problems.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2004, 10:11:03 AM »
It was one very large batch that was reclassified - a finite amount (that's why Ammoman is out of some variations and says there'll be no more).  I had heard that there were some hard primers, which caused some misfires in striker-fired pistols.  As a result it was all recalled/reclassified and marked "Not for Law Enforcement Use" on the boxes.  

Please note that last time this topic came up, the conversation got very heated...so I'm treading lightly. :)

I've fired literally over a thousand rounds of this stuff in 115gr and 124gr +P, and have NEVER had a misfire.  None of my pistols are striker-fired, though.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Ihue

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2004, 11:04:30 AM »
I read speer stopped using foil in primers and later found that about 1 in 50,000 would fail. They remarked them "not for LE" and offered them for sale. Exactly the same otherwise.

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2004, 05:12:36 PM »
I shot 50 rounds of Blazer and couldn't get through a single mag without a malfunction.  Almost all of them were failures to eject.  I had 4 range officers shoot the gun as well, and they all had the same problem.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 05:13:28 PM by Incursion »

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2004, 06:03:16 PM »
How could you have not given up already and sold it to someone on this forum?
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2004, 06:07:37 PM »
Blazer.  Aluminum case or brass? Both mine seem to like the aluminum case ammo fine.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2004, 09:11:19 PM »
I thought there have been reported problems with Blazer -- or some of it -- can't recall the details.  This is not a factory recommended round.

Frankly, with all the issues with this gun of lubrication, ammo, etc. -- I can't keep track of it anymore.  Did you ever shoot it after it came back from the factory with the factory lube and with actual first-rate Gold Dots?

I agree with Justin -- its time to call it quits.  I would talk to Eric about getting a refund -- they don't have to give you one, but they might.  If not, try and sell it here.  I would buy it from you if I was in the market for a second.

For whatever reason -- whether its you or the gun or the gravitational field in your area -- this makes two R-9s that have not worked for you.  Its not worth the hassle or the effort.   This is not meant as an attack on you -- its just common sense at this point.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »
Duane - aluminum case Blazer is fine ... Eric has approved that - plus, it is loaded with the Speer Gold Dot bullets.  Surprisingly good round IMO.

The problems are linked with the newer brass cased Blazer, where the rim is not cut sharp enough IIRC and so there can be extraction problems - the claw not getting a good hold on the brass rim.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »
As an old former prosecutor, I'm too cynical to make any constructive comment on this subject other than to say that I second the most recent comments of Justin and Duane.  

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2004, 01:06:26 AM »
I was using the aluminum stuff and shot it straight from the factory.  I just can't believe this gun won't work for me, but I think I'm going to call it quits unless they want to send me another one... maybe the third time is a charm?