Author Topic: new member - old questions  (Read 2199 times)

Offline cc1

new member - old questions
« on: August 24, 2005, 01:59:39 AM »
I have been looking at the R9S since it came out.  Recently got a chance to hold and touch one at a local dealer.  I like the weight (or lack of) since I am spoiled by my SW 340PD and for what I do it would solve a lot of carry problems with its narrow width.  But of course there are questions that I had to ask and until this forum I had nobody to answer them.  First of all i worry about a new company and their viability.  I do not want to get  the Edsil of guns.  It appears from reading this forum that reliability is good but everyone talks about ftf, fte, etc. more than would seem reasonable for personal defense firearms.  Do people have full reliability in the gun after a break in period, and the appropriate ammo.  Dry firing the gun;  the top of the trigger seemed to come out of the frame and felt very strange and looked flimsy.  Is this  simply a result of the present firearms I am used to, mainly S&W semi and revolver and the difference in  "feel".  

Thanks for the opportunity to ask some questions.  I'm sure they have been asked before, but I need a new serious pocket gun since my 340PD is getting to be to bulky with the new wardrobe I have to wear.  I don't like/trust the present choices in small light guns, and feel the r9s may answer all my needs.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: new member - old questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 08:50:19 AM »
cc1:

Welcome to the Forum.

I have complete faith in the reliability of my R9s.  Although the Rohrbaughs are precision-made weapons, there is nothing fragile about them.  By way of analogy, Rolex watches are precision-made timepieces, but there is nothing fragile about them either.  

In my opinion, you would be well served to own a Rohrbaugh 9mm.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 01:25:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I agree, the R9S is a great gun and perfect for what you want to use it for.    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:05:51 PM »
Think that talk of failures of any particular gun are always exacerbated on the Internet -- people only talk about their failures and frustrations.  There are a handful people with R-9s here that have any problems -- and I think all of them have been worked out.  My gun has been 100% and it was a very early model.  Most people here have had the same experience.

Many problems are attributable to using the wrong ammo.  :(

I can't think of anything on the R-9 I would describe as flimsy.  This gun is literally carved out of several blocks of solid metal.  Take a look at my factory tour photos when you get a chance.  There is not a single cast, stamped, forged, MIM or plastic part on this gun.

As for the longevity of the company... who knows?  They seem to be going gangbusters and have worldwide interest.  I would say the future is pretty rosy for those guys and they deserve it.  Karl is living the American Dream.  The good news is that these a great guns and if the company did go under, your gun would probably increase in value!  I don't think you would ever see these as CDNN close-outs for $200.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:13:29 PM »
   ....... X's two.
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 07:25:23 PM »
cc1,
    Welcome to the Forum...

The R9 may very well answer all of your concealed needs. ;) 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:32:26 PM »
What he said! ::) 8) ;D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:16:29 PM »
I seldom know my R9S is there.  You can pretty much forget about it being in your pocket.

I had been using a Kel-Tec P3AT and was quite concerned about getting something slightly larger.  It has worked out just fine.

No problem for me.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:15:17 PM »
cc1 - welcome aboard! :)

Yes - the R9 is, like most small guns not 100% for everyone straight off.  Ammo is a major factor - so is limp wristing.  The company tho is far from ''Edsil'' - I am fortunate enough, like several here, to have had a lot of personal contact with the guys there - Eric mostly.

This is the early days for the company - after man years of development and shere hard work.  This is the beginning for them now with output to the market - and the future is IMO very bright.

We often refer to the R9 as a ''thorobred'' - it is the Ferrari of the pocket gun world - and is a tad picky on what it is fed.  After break-in tho and trials with ammo types - we for most part find it ''settles'' into a very reliable state.

The Bros R worked a near miracle with their design - and made concessions this way and that, while maintaining the structural integrity to handle the 9mm Luger round.

I know of many folks with high dollar ''race guns'' that have had issues in early days - and so the R9 is not on its own regarding some teething problems.  

The factory does as most know - do everything to deal with any prob's - tho statistically in fact - very few guns have had to go back - and I think now some 800 have gone into the marketplace already.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.