Author Topic: Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rounds.  (Read 36274 times)

Offline HAWGONE

Re: Karl Rohrbaugh: R9 not meant to handle 150 rou
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
Joe_from_NY

No offense taken Joe.  Wrong choice of words using target rather than range pistol.  Any way I wasn't trying to be critical of the pistol, just advising some additional information I saw (heard) on the subject.  I understand the intended use of this pistol is shoot little and carry alot.

kjtrains - thanks for the welcome.  Hoping to find an R9 in a local shop to get a better feel if the pistol is for me.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
HAWGONE - I apologize for not noticing that you are new to the forum.  Sometimes I get a bit tunnel visioned.

Welcome to the best forum on the net.  

Please come and post often.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
HAWGONE, a welcome from me as well.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »
As I've said before in different lingo, all you gotta do is examine the R9.  If you know anything about guns at all, it is easy to see that you have precision in your hands.
Which means she'll hold up to use, but not abuse.

Some guys just don't understand precision and never will.  You have probalbyl talked to them; like the guy who slams Wilson, NightHawk, Les Baer, Eddie Brown and claims his stock Norinco can outshoot them.

You can't fix stoopid, but you can fix ignorance, but sometimes that lightbulb just won't go on.

Reinz.  That is true.  There are some folks that look for something to rant about and that's how they get that desire fed;  keeping on with their ranting.  Then they just go away and rant somewhere else.    :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:34:36 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »
HAWGONE - I apologize for not noticing that you are new to the forum....

yeah, i saw HAWGONE was new here, so i gave him a bit of sarcasm to let him know we were reading his post and welcome him to the spot. i just hope he keeps his caps lock off.
 ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 12:44:41 AM »

Not a target pistol? Oh crap.

How come I didn't find this out until just after I got my Pup drilled and tapped for a scope?

I mean, jeez, I just started to get good with it on bowling pin matches, so I thought I should scope it and try it out on Silhouette...

;D

Go for it Carter.  There's an R9 just been posted with a silencer, so why not a scope!    ;)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
Too lazy to read all through the middle of the thread, but it is clear to me that the Kahr, PF9, LCP's are likely built to much lower tolerances than the R9, allowing more rounds to be fired at one sitting without soiling and overheating the pistol enough to change tolerances of moving parts enough to affect function.  I cannot imaging firing more than 6 magazines at the range, and only then if I'm comparing ammo or the reliability of different magazines.  

I guess if one plans on going into prolonged combat with only a diminutive pocket gun, it might be best to use a cheaper one since your opponent will likely take it from your corpse anyway.
 ;D  ;)
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
I hear ya.

But on the other hand, It depends upon my time, and venue and targets.

Once I get going, time permitting, it's fun to test the limitaions of the gun, and shooter, as well as work on marksmanship; with the added joy of plinking.

For me, after the 5-6 mags you mentioned; shooting paper, I'm bored out of my skull.  If I have steel to shoot at, shotgun hulls and wads on the ground, cans and such, I'll go till the ammo is gone.  
And I bring a lot of ammo!  ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »
I consider my R9 to be an up-close personal-defense weapon. As the smallest and lightest pistol available chambered for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge and with minimal tolerances, the R9 is a masterpiece of form and function which has been my EDC for over five years. I occasionally run a magazine through it just to maintain familiarity. However, if I want to run 150 or more rounds through a pistol, I've got 1911s which are built for just that type of work.

This thread was started by "Fud" on September 8, 2009. It must be the provocative subject line which causes the thread to be repeatedly brought forward from archive.

I posted the above-quoted response on September 10, 2009. With the amendment of deleting the words, "five years," and substituting in lieu thereof the words, "seven years," I hereby reaffirm that post.  8)

And here is Rohrbaugh R9s No. 132 as it appears today after seven years as my EDC weapon -- a weapon that has yet to show any vices and which I trust completely . . . seven years and counting:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
Haven't had the 127 but a little over 9 months now, but trust it implicitly.  It now resides in a Meco Sharkskin; and no, it doesn't stay in the safe.    :)

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
"I cannot imaging firing more than 6 magazines at the range,"

I shot mine 101 times the first time I took it to the range. It was still running, but I was getting beat up a little, so I quit after round one of the third box of 50. I had planned on shooting it 150 times that day, but old age caught up with me.  :)

Offline rodell

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
A hundred is a bunch.  I use a 5.11 tactical glove and I can do 100 but it isn't fun after 99.

Only one gun from enough ...

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
... but it is clear to me that the Kahr, PF9, LCP's are likely built to much lower tolerances than the R9, allowing more rounds to be fired at one sitting without soiling and overheating the pistol enough to change tolerances of moving parts enough to affect function...

Yeah man, for real. I was at the range today, and a guy handed me his Kel Tec 9mm to look at. The tolerances are so loose, that when you shake it in your hand, the parts rattle around sounding like a pocket full of loose change. I showed him my R9, and he couldn't believe how close the fit of the parts was. Then he saw my Seecamp 380 on the table, and said, "Wow, you really have the Rolls Royce of pistols with these two."  

In my opinion, the Kel Tec 9mm really looks like a cheap piece of junk up close, and handling it will make clear the differences. It reminded me of the Bryco, Jennings, Davis, Lorcin, Hi-Point, etc... junk guns that used to be all over the streets of the city in the '80s and early '90s. Exploding pieces of crap, more reliably useful as hand grenades.

You get the idea...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:13:35 PM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
150 rounds huh?   ::)
After 340 rounds on the same recoil spring I did this write up:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1309982292

Nothing of any note really, the pistol is wearing in just like any other made of similar materials.  It's got a long life of shooting ahead of it.

From what I can see, I'm thousands of rounds away from any concern about longevity.  I'll write it up again after 1500 rounds or so.  At 340 rounds the outer recoil spring has lost about 11% of it's rate compared to the one new one I have.  I'll replace that although I think it still has some life in it.
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »
Joe:

Those photographs really made my day -- what a gallery of unadulterated crap!

The photo of the Bryco .380 ACP brought back a memory. A few years ago I spent some time representing a small private college and as such was asked to "vet" their expulsions and other potentially controversial personnel actions. One of the students had been caught by campus security with a Bryco .380 on his person. His expulsion was approved. But the purpose of this recitation is to note that the slide on that piece of junk he was carrying around was literally "welded" in place by rust. That was probably a good thing, since the magazine had been loaded with about three mismatched rounds of .32 ACP ammunition.

A real "wannabe gangbanger," that one was.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"