Author Topic: Changes to the Forum -- Input requested  (Read 9890 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Changes to the Forum -- Input requested
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »

Hello all,

I have been considering some structural changes to the forum -- to consolidate into just a few sub-boards.  For example, combining all the pistols and the "wish list" into one general Rohrbaugh discussion topic.  Classifieds and Water Cooler will stay separate, as well as the Forum News and Feedback.  I would only do it if it could be done without a loss in content, of course.

What do you think?

Also -- just to get you thinking, I'm not sure we are going to have much in the way of advertising revenue going forward -- for obvious reasons.  Just something we will have to think about in the future.

Thanks.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Changes to the Forum -- Input requested
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
Duane,

All good ideas. I also would like the addition of a "Collectors Area" where info about the early guns could be posted. It would be great to get the site listed with OHub or Tapatalk IPhone apps that make viewing the forum on the phone much easier. I am not sure if there is a cost associated with that though. Happy to continue to contribute to the forum expenses.

Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Exciting stuff.

It's simple, but I think it's important to have a place where guys could post pics of their R9's. Just until you get a good 30 pics or so. It may attract a few new people to the R 9 world. Not a bad thing IMO. The R 9 is one fine looking piece! It's design speaks well for itself.

I've talked to someone who doesn't like their guns posted online and associated with their name/profile so it may be nice if you could hide who posted it from the world (obviously Duane would see it)

As for $, count me in.

Thanks for the fine forum.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:41:47 AM »
I agree with Ryan and Josh.  I especially like the idea of a collector's or historical section.  I'm in with $ as well.  It think (hope) many here will be happy to contribute something.

Chris

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:05:33 AM »
Once a year there should be a fundraiser for the operating expenses of this forum. Donations of money, and misc. Rohrbaugh related items could be donated and sold to its members. ( How many of us have holsters, etc. sitting in boxes gathering dust? ). Just a thought.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »
The forum changes sound good.  Will help with dollars.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »
I would be more than happy to donate if needed. I like the fund raiser option, and maybe a picture section with no user name or location. We could email the pic in and have it posted?

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:36:47 AM »
     Personally I think it's a good idea to simplify the forum.
          I don't know too much about the monetary support of them. It has been my understanding that advertising on the site from holsters, firearm companies etc. keeps any bills paid. Am I correct in this assumption?
                                                                                                                                  John

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
              I don't know too much about the monetary support of them. It has been my understanding that advertising on the site from holsters, firearm companies etc. keeps any bills paid. Am I correct in this assumption?
                                                                                                                                  John

In recent years the forum's bills have been paid by advertising from Irish Guard Firearms, Recluse holsters, and VZ Grips.  Tom's untimely passing, of course, ends our long-time sponsorship by Irish Guard.  I am currently in talks with the other advertisers to see if they want to remain involved.  More on that as it develops.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
Maybe Remington would like to be an advertiser---why not?

On a smaller scale Williams Gun Sight may also be a candidate.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:41:28 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
Duane:

The changes without loss of content sound good to me.  As for financial support of the Forum, my checkbook is here on the desk ready to help out anytime you say the word.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »

Both good ideas. While the number of page hits may not get advertisers excited I suspect the demographics of this forum are not typical of other forums and other premium brands may be interested.

Other companies like Frog Lube (or other cleaning accessories) or even Boberg may be interested in advertising with you.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 05:45:27 PM »

Here is some of that genius that Richard was speaking of IMO.

I feel that even if we have to continue to subsidize it (I personally have not to date) for a year with the right types of improvements (mild) and participation I would not doubt that some advertisers would be interested in ponying up and the two the Tracker mentioned are great IMO.

Perhaps wolf springs would be another?

Are there any others that sell parts and pieces for the R9?

How about VZ again? Hopefully the Remington9 will at least still fit the same grip panels making the compatible VZ's a profitable venture to be made still.

Same with Recluse.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

I have not given up on our advertisers -- who have been great.  But the market is changing, for sure.  The number of R-9s out there now is fixed and not growing...

Based on rumors I have heard here and there, I doubt that grips for a Remington R-9 are going to be interchangeable.  I tend to think a magazine release button is coming, and that our heel-type mag release is going to be gone in the new version.  However, VZ may make grips for such a gun regardless.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 12:11:49 AM »
Duane,
        The slight change in the forum sounds ok to me if needed. A "spot" for "collectors" may be nice but I consider us all as collectors to a certain point now!

Duane,my checkbook is also available to help out the Rohrbaugh forum as needed! Either as a drive and or a donation for donated goods.

I have owned as many as six Pups at once,but I put the true value in them as protection provided when I carry one in my front pocket daily!!

This forum may not get tons of traffic but each person here has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Pup. You cannot go to another forum and talk like we do here!!

Cheers to this forum,and all that visit!!
B
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe