Author Topic: Walther PPK: To Buy or Not To Buy?  (Read 7255 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Walther PPK: To Buy or Not To Buy?
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
I don't know why but lately I have had the urge to buy a Walther PPK. I think it all began about a year ago when I read that Sean Connery purchased a home down the road from me in a very exclusive golfing community. I grew up watching James Bond films and always seeing that infamous PPK. Any thoughts? Good ones vs bad ones? Thanks.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Walther PPK: To Buy or Not To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
Only my 2 cents worth, but here Ya go. I have a sig 230. Beautiful little Ss pistol. Shoots like a dream. German made older model. Here's my issue with it... Other than a plinker at the range, what am I to do with it?

Too big/heavy to justify carrying with the other options I have. Plus it's a 380. If I'm carrying a 380 it would be a KAHR or other small defensive pistols.

If it's all about nastalgia then you are the only one to answer the question, but if it's all about wanting something that is usable it's kinda hard for me to find a good use for that size/weight/caliber package. It would make a good house or car gun for my wife is one good thing in my world.

Best wishes and I will be intrigued to hear how you like it if you go that way. Sweet shooter if it's like the 230.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
This was discussed on another thread a few days ago.  The Walther is famous for biting the web of the thumb; moreover, reputedly a few have died because the safety is so hard to use they couldn't get it off quickly.  I had one, a beautiful piece, but experienced both problems and traded it it quickly.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Rich3006

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:24 PM »
If you want one get it.  I have an Interarms PPK and have had no problems whatever.  It was my carry gun until I got my R9.  I never carried it with the safety on.  It has a long double action pull for the first shot.  I basically used the safety as a decocker.  I never had issues with hammer bite either.  The only down side to a PPK is that there are now smaller .380's.  But on the other hand I shoot the PPK better than a LCP or the R9.  But like I said, if you want one get one, they are nice guns.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:21:59 AM by Rich3006 »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
My advice - get the PPK. It is a beautiful classic, and life is short.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »

I agree completely; there is no sexier gun than a PPK. The German models are a rare combination of form and function.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Agree they are beautifully made, sexy and classic.  The original German made models did not, I am told, bite the thumb web like the current S&W made versions (which I had).  IMO they are too solid and heavy for comfortable pocket carry but make a great "show carry".  After you own two R9s and a Seecamp or two, then get PPKS and display it in a nice walnut presentation case in your home.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »
You guys reminded me of this which I have not had out for a while.  I bought it from a friend who has since passed and he bought it new. 

They are truly a classic and beautiful to look at, but if you want something to shoot or carry either one, there are many better choices.  JMO

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
Those pics seem to tell me that this gun is very much a part of firearm history. The PPK breathes history. It hits me like a classic Porsche 356…I think that I need to buy one.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »
Those pics seem to tell me that this gun is very much a part of firearm history. The PPK breathes history. It hits me like a classic Porsche 356…I think that I need to buy one.

Norm  -  I would sell this one. It was made in 1966 when Walthers were real Walthers. It will hold it's value.  My friend paid $80.00 for it new, I paid $450.00 for it about 10 or 12 years ago.  Now look what they bring.  It will keep increasing in value,

You never go wrong buying the best you can afford.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
That is a really nice piece. Yes they are doing nothing but appreciating. I have an 1980 PPK also German, in pristine condition. I do not believe it was fired except for testing. It was Interarms imported for use by, from what I understand, a Federal Officer. They are truly beautiful pistols. I had another one that  was stolen back in the mid 80s, that one I carried and was taken from my locked van. It was hidden in a sort of secret panel built into the frame but the Bastards found it. Learned a lesson from that experience. Still have the box with serial number and check GB now and then just for the hell of it.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »
Norm  -  I would sell this one. It was made in 1966 when Walthers were real Walthers. It will hold it's value.  My friend paid $80.00 for it new, I paid $450.00 for it about 10 or 12 years ago.  Now look what they bring.  It will keep increasing in value,

On GunBroker, used "real " PPKs range anywhere from $1000 to $3000, and higher. I think that I'm going to look for a used stainless one in the $500 range, shoot it and enjoy it.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »

Excellent decision; as beautiful as they are it is a pain to disassemble and reassemble and I wouldn't buy another one.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
No problem at all Norm.  Here's my thinking on the subject.

If you want a PPK, this is the one to have.  The PPK is a product of 1920's Engineering.  It is little more than a scaled down PP.  They are heavy compared to today's guns, blowback operated which is a minus, and not very accurate by today's standards.

If you want a piece of history, this is it.  If you want a shooter, there are much better guns to be had.  My friend bought a new PPK last year and it is a miserable gun in every way.

JMO

Added later:

If you really want a PPK, get one in 22lr.  Blowback 380's suck.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:21:00 AM by MRC »