Author Topic: 10 R9's on gunsamerica.com  add today  (Read 6248 times)

Offline kerrynp5

10 R9's on gunsamerica.com  add today
« on: February 23, 2005, 10:50:21 AM »
 $889.00
10 in stock now! New Rohrbaugh R9S (has sights), 9mm, comes with 2 mags, extra slide return spring, case. Consecutive serial numbered pistols available. This pistol is only 12.8 ozs unloaded, over all length is 5.2", holds 6 rounds, an ideal back-up and defense pistol. Ship to FFL holder only. Buyer pays $30 shipping and insurance. Add 3% for credit card purchases.
Seller: AREGO'S
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 501  

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Success!..Or: Must be livin right! Urgent!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:05:26 PM »
Just ordered my 2nd R9S at Arego's in Hot Springs, Arkansas! It's on the way. I'm putting this one in the safe for, um, safekeeping.

They have more, and with consecutive serial numbers. $889 plus shipping to your FFL. Call them now at: 501-760-2330 and ask for
Bennie.

I have no financial interest in this company, in the interest of full disclosure.

BTW-this one has a Farmingdale slide. Be sure to ask for one.

Calvin

$889.00
10 in stock now! New Rohrbaugh R9S (has sights), 9mm, comes with 2 mags, extra slide return spring, case. Consecutive serial numbered pistols available. This pistol is only 12.8 ozs unloaded, over all length is 5.2", holds 6 rounds, an ideal back-up and defense pistol. Ship to FFL holder only. Buyer pays $30 shipping and insurance. Add 3% for credit card purchases.
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
Re: 10 R9's on gunsamerica.com  add today
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:36:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip - I think.  ;D
I was almost hoping that they were out, to keep from having to make an adult decision.  
They still had one and it is headed my way. So my other one is also headed for "safe keeping" beside the ASP.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:16:36 AM »
$889.00
Nine of them sold out in less than 48 hours -- there is DEFINITELY a market for this gun. If I had the spare cash, I wouldn't mind getting a second one.

Offline RBorgers

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »
 Ordered a R-9 from Arego's on Friday and picked it up today. Super people to deal with.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:10:59 PM »
Welcome RB... good result by sound of it - welcome here :) And as an owner too :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 04:20:04 PM »
Well, I ordered mine from Arego's as well.  They are just waiting for my FFL, which won't get sent till next Tuesday since the owner is out of town.  But shortly thereafter I should be holding my very own R9s (said as I rub hands together with evil little glint in my eye).  

On another note I found the pictures of the holster Mr. Del Fatti had put up and was immediately smitten.  I now have a pocket holster on order with Mr. Hedley and a belt holster and two belts on order from Del Fatti.  Don't you just love getting mail?

Well, I'm off work soon to go to work to pay for my gun habit.  Cheers!

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 03:57:30 AM »
Hi All...

I have been lurking here for some time, and finally registered.  Thanks for the forum!

I just sa this post and have to admin, I am amazingly tempted.  I am wondering though, if I were to call Maria and order one, how much would it cost?  Is there a big price difference from these for $889 vs what I could order it for?

Also, what do the R9s sell for slightly used?  If I don't like it, can it be sold easily?

Thanks very much...

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »
Jarcher,  The dealer in Ark., seemed to blow them out the door. You can call Rohrbaugh and order/get on the list. I'm a dealer in Dallas, Texas. I have orders in with Rohrbaugh at this time. You could most likely get one thru me about June/July.If thats of interest send me a PM.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 12:00:15 PM »
Arego's may still have some left, the number is posted somewhere above.  Don't know about price from the factory, but if you didn't like your R9 I think you could probably sell it rather quickly.  The ones that have been posted in the WTB/WTS section haven't lasted too long.  The very few used ones that I have seen on this website could hardly be called used as they aren't but a year old at most and haven't had many rounds through them.  As such the price has been pretty much the same as a new one.  Only difference is the wait.

Offline jarcher

• Master
I have one coming this way
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 08:20:25 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies.  

I called Maria and asked her if I ordered one from them how long it would take and what it would cost.  She told me what suggested list is and that they are still quoting 5 months delivery.  She said the new factory has doubled their production so it may be shorter, and will probably be shorter, but they are still quoting 5 months to be safe.

Apparently, if you are a police officer it makes a difference, since she asked me if I was.  I used to be but no longer am.  

Also, she told me that as of March 31, there will be a 13% dealer cost increase!    

Given that I would like to have this pistol for summer carry (my normal mode of dress is gym shorts, tee shirt and boat shoes), and that prices are going up about $100 soon, I figured I would go ahead and order one from the place in AR.  I called them up and Bennie told me they had “1 or 2” left.  They are only accepting credit cards, as they don't want to hold one waiting for a check to arrive.  With credit card fee and shipping, it was $947 (I think).  

So I should have it soon, maybe in just a few days.  I usually don’t like to spend this much money on a pistol without at least seeing one first, but I doubt there are any here in Rhode Island for me to look at.  Also, I know nothing about the vendor.  I am very picky about things like reliability, trigger pull and so on, and I like to have a good holster.  I’ll investigate that next.

Here is why I bought it.  I had planned to get a KelTec P3AT-A1 when those came out because it is small, light and more powerful than a .32, even though it is just a .380.  Well, they came out and the reviews over on KTOG were less than stellar.  I have a KelTec P32 that works fine, but it’s a .32.  I then looked at the NAA Guardian in .380 and the Seecamp.  The Guardian is very small, but also quite heavy and is a blow back design.  The Seecamp looks promising, but they are pricey and hard to find.  And, if I find one, it’s still just a .380.  So really, since I wanted a very small pocket pistol with actual reliability without great weight in a real defensive caliber, I am left with the R9s.  And let’s face it; the gee-whiz quotient is really high with a R9s!  

Still, it’s quite expensive.  But the place in AR has a 3 day return policy.  If I hate it right out of the box I can return it.  Also, if I hate it after putting a few rounds through it I can probably sell it or maybe even return it.  So the risk was reduced.  

I do have some concerns.  I’m concerned the recoil will be too punishing to practice with regularly.  I don’t like the idea of the heel mounted European style magazine release.  I’m also wondering if I can get a Fist Inc kydex pocket holster for it (I have been very happy with the one I have for the P32).  It’s a lot of money, so I really want it to work right out of the box with zero problems.  Very few small guns do this, and very few cost as much.

There is a tinge of buyers remorse, if only because I was unable to shop around.  There were several listings on Guns America and one on Gun Broker, all basically the same price.  I don’t know what dealer cost is, so I have no idea how big a premium I am paying for having it now.  My regular dealer charges me 8% above his cost, plus 7% sales tax out the door.  That’s essentially a 15% markup.

So that's it.  Any comments are welcome.  I’ll let everyone know what I think. hopefully, in just a few days.  

Thanks again!

Jim

PS - I realize I probably got very lucky with this and I am not trying to rub it in.  Sorry if it came off that way  :(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 08:33:07 PM by jarcher »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »
Jim - sounds like resourcefullness pays off!  I can see your concerns - indeed, it is like ''buying blind'' ..... but only up to a point.  I am sure all you have read here has given you way more of an edge than just a casual read of a gun rag report.  You must feel fairly comfortable.

Further to that - I will hope (expect really ) that once you have it you will have no regrets at all.

The mag release?  Nowhere near as bad as folks sometimes think.  I agree it might be tricky for one handed op' but - even there, it is possible with practice.  I have never considered that a disadvantage and it was done as I expect you know - to keep width down and have no ''sticy-out-bits'' !!!

The recoil - it is ''stout'' ... but entirely manageable.  I needs some technique I admit but that is not IMO difficult.  Also - I do not regard this gun as a high vol shooter - after bedding in I think two mag's practice every so often is well adequate - without beating up your hand.

I keep reminding myself and others, once you have the pup tamed it is there really for one reason - to save your bacon if in extremis - and that sure ain't a time when recoil is gonna matter if it ''stings'' a bit! :D

I posted the pics below weeks ago on another thread but let me show them for your benefit ... they are simply a way of showing how I ''build'' my grip - nothing special really but this sure works for me.  It finishes up as a ''white knuckle grip - minus a bit'' ....VERY firm but not shakey firm.  Hope this helps just a tad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I cannot remeber saying ''welcome'' ... either way Jim - welcome! :)

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 02:02:27 AM »
Hey Chris, looks good!  It looks so small in yuor hands!  If you were to point it at someone, would they notice?  Not that I want to be shot by it, or anything else...

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 09:09:38 AM »
Hey jarcher,  I did the same thing as you and ordered from Arego's without ever having handled a R9, but I am confidant that the R9 will be a joy to behold.  I debated with myself over the price, drooled over the photos, read and re-read all the posts concerning recoil and fit and finish, etc.  I ordered the R9 the day the slide on my P-32 seized up on me at the range. I think this little pistol will fit my pocket carry needs perfectly and having that 9mm in the tube will be a lot nicer than a .32.

Take a look at DDGator's Avatar and see if you can notice the R9 staring at you.  I don't think you need worry about that, unless whoever is coming at you is crazy, drugged, or suicidal.  

As far as the mag release, you get used to it.  I carry a Sig 232 regularly that has a heel release and never thought it an issue.  My first pistol was a Ruger Mark II .22 which also had the release on the heel so perhaps I am desensitized to it.  Besides this isn't a piece that you are going to clear rooms with and need to speed reload.  

Let us know your impressions upon its arrival.  My FFL gets sent today, so hoping to have the R9 in hand by Sat or early next week.    

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 01:41:12 PM »
Jim - small it may be but - probably as a consequence of scale contrasts - I would say that ''the hole'' still actually looks rather large!!!  Even if not much else to see!

Another (fun) repost coming - ''make my day''.!!  ;D

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site