Author Topic: 2d range report  (Read 4572 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
2d range report
« on: April 30, 2005, 09:36:46 PM »
Took the R9 to the range today. Shot it after firing 30 rounds through a S&W 65. I shot only +P 38 Spl loads today. The crimson trace grips are AWESOME.

I didn't shoot the R9 nearly as well as I did the first time out. Recoil was BITING and the web of my right hand started to bruise after 15 rounds or so. Still, I shot it more accurately than I did my LWS32, which I fired next.

Note sure why that is-perhaps I don't hold on and concentrate like I do with the R9, or maybe that front sight is the reason-probably some combo of the 2.

I'm getting awfully close to that dreaded first field stripping. I'm not mechanically inclined, so this is going to be a hoot. I have visions of my shipping it in pieces back to NY for reassembly.

You guys who are building jigs for this purpose, please keep me in mind! Thanks.

Dick
Welcome home

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: 2d range report
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 01:00:59 AM »
Dick - do NOT be intimidated by the stripping.  Go refresh if needed on the FAQ site!!!

I think you still have some work to do re grip - I posted recently again my suggested grip approach which suits me.  I do think you have to be very ''assertive'' - a firm grip which is just short of ''white knuckle'' ... very firm.

Even then the pup is far from docile but remember - even if practice not over comfortable - in extremis - this lil' fella will deliver - and at that stage any ''bite'' will be of little consequence - as long as you have mastery over it.

Asking a lot - 9mm from a small package - so persevere - it still might be your salvation - tho in other respects - hope that never needed! :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 03:15:05 AM »
Field striping is a pain, but reassembly is even a bigger one. I have not yet been able to get the guide rod in without using a pair of channel lock pliers. Then I can't seem to get the guide rod in place without pulling up on it, as it extends from the slide--it then CLICKS into place.

Even though I look forward to field stripping this gun as much as I look forward to a root canal, it is a great firearm. Keep in mind that this gun wasn't designed to be your everyday plinking gun.

What I would like the Rohrbaugh brothers to sell is a field stripping kit. A kit with all of the tools to make field stripping easy. I would also like a jig to replace the inter-recoil spring.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 08:54:27 AM »
Dick, try the houge handall Jr. on your R9 for a better hold during range sessions. I put one on mine and it worked fine for a more positive hold. My R9 has been very accurate even at 25ft, and don't be worried about take down it's not that bad. :D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
2d range report
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 01:19:27 PM »
>>Hang in there, Dick...!  If I can do the take down/put together - then anyone can...!  Actually...if you care to spend a little extra time practicing...it gets much easier I assure you.  The only time I have needed channel lock plyers was when I was also replacing the quide spring...after that - it's a cinch!!  Still...I ALWAYS review procedures on the FAQ site before take down - it is the best tool out there, so don't be shy using it...TW<<

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 08:25:51 PM »
Newt,
 What is a houge handall jr.?

Thanks for the support and encouragement guys. Now just send me your address so that I can send the R9 to you for cleaning-just kidding (sort of).

Don't get me wrong guys, I REALLY like this gun-it's quite impressive and I shoot it fairly well. A better grip will no doubt help-thanks Chris. And thanks Chris for leading me to the CT grips!

Dick
Welcome home

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 08:58:07 PM »
Dick - yeah - I noted your delight with the CT's Haha - cool eh - well, good for us ''older'' folk too!!  I love 'em.

Hogue Handalls ... let me post a pic of some (the larger std ones) on my P95 ... you 'll see, they are rubber and have finger grooves.  They ''fatten'' the grip a but and altogether make for a more substantial hold IMO.  Only downside potentially is - rubber snagging clothing a bit - maybe slow the draw even.  I have yet to try a small set - hope to get some tho eventually, even if just to try.

Oh and also BTW - fitting them is close to being a wrestling match - or can be!

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 03:10:08 PM »
+ 1 for the Hogue Handalls  ;)

I have a set on my Glock 23 (2nd Gen.) and much more enjoyable for extended shooting sessions.. 8)

They are a bugger to put on though  :D

I do not know if I would want to put a set on a pocket piece because of the "sticky" factor.. IMO..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline TW

• Grand Master
2d range report
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »
>>If you haven't tried it already...  Try using pure silicone spray on the grip of a gun when sliding Hogue Handalls - I find it makes a world of difference...!  

Also...regarding the R9...try using the modified Pierce pinky extension (made for the Kahr PM 9, I think...call Pierce and ask him to be sure...he's the one who figured this for the R9).  Someone here on the forum posted on this with a pic a while back.  I find this gives me twice the control when shooting - looks pretty good, too...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 12:21:48 PM »
TW - I had considered in past trying silicon spray but - was worried it might be too persistent and so leave the rubber slipping on the grip!  Sounds like you didn't find that.

I vaguely remember something about pinky extension but - no more.  So where did these come from?   I assume it is just a swap for metal base plate yeah?
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 12:45:42 PM »
Just a note on the Houge grip, don't leave it on for carry. It made my R9 very hard to draw from back pocket. Fine for range practice though. :P
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
2d range report
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »
>>Chris...

In my experience the silicon used for this and similar usage dried fairly quick, and I have not experienced any slippage.

I just checked my invoice from GT Distributors for the Pearce Grip Extension used on the R9...  It was intended for the Kahr MK9 (Item #PRC-PG-MK9), not PM 9.  You do end up replacing the metal base plate and to get proper fit you need to cut out a small section on the rear in order to accommodate the mag release.  This is no big deal if done properly, and it is a snug fit.  If I can get motivated I'll snap a pic and post it - looks trick with the black grips and dark frame = sweeeeeeeet...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 01:41:24 PM »
A pic would be handy TW if you can get to it sometime. I have these deals on my Bersa.  Similar anyways... and forget where the heck I got them too!

My point re the silicon was really because of the persistence I have found from silicon products - release agents etc.  What did you use, as it sounds like it did not persist.

I have some concerns re carry shooting and range shooting - regarding whether to have Hogue's on only temporarily... per Newt's mention.  I think I want the gun to always be exactly the same - practice and carry.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 02:12:53 PM »
Chris I kinda had the same thought on that too, about the gun being the same, not to mention the PinTA taking off and reinstalling the grip. I think the extra comfort the Houges give helps me become more accurate with the R9 during practice sessions. During the draw practice I don't have any percieved defference in grip or site aquisition. I mean to say that if I had to draw in a stressful situation I don't think the absence of the houges would make a big difference except to not hinder my draw speed.