Author Topic: 1st range report  (Read 3653 times)

Offline malayalee747

1st range report
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:24:14 PM »
I took my R9s to the range for the first time today.  My first 8 rounds were Magsafe, of which 3 were FTF.  Then I used Golddot for the next 20 rounds, same luck there, 7 FTF.  By this time I am so disappointed with this gun.  Next 50 rounds Winchester 115gr. range ammo, all went perfect.  I went back to Golddot and fired 14 rounds, all perfect.  Back to Winchester range ammo, 25 rounds all perfect.  All together I fired 117 rounds and after the first 28 all went good.  I assume the first 28 were my “break in.”  
      I was surprised by the fact that I didn’t experience the hand pain which I expected.  I have very small hands and I expected a lot of pain after this many rounds;
(I have pachmayr slipon on this).  I was okay with the recoil as well, especially since I went expecting a lot worse.  Over all I am happy with this gun BUT I really hope I wouldn’t have to go through those FTF again.  (The front tip of the ammo kept jamming into the back of the barrel, is this really an FTF?)

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
Re: 1st range report
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »
Welcome, and glad to hear you got your pup trained so quickly!  I gotta say, I'm impressed you put so many rounds through it in one go - my hands woulda been killing me after half that number!

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:31:02 PM »
Barring a few guns which were made from bad metal, I think most of the problems w. the pup have ended up being grip related.  I tried the slip on, and several people around here are v. happy w. theirs, but it didn't help me nearly as much as putting grip tape on the front strap and the back strap.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:24:24 AM »
Sounds like a pretty good intro session tho even with my large hands and good grip - have to say I find 50 or so rounds enough in one sitting!

The slip-on obviously helped a lot.  The ''tipped-up'' FTF BTW I consider possible when a recoil spring is very fresh and not taken some set - and so slide travel fully to rear is just slightly incomplete, and so then too is the fwd velocity on return as it strips fresh round.  No proof of that - just a 2c I have considered.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:26:29 AM »
 :P :-* :DH'mmm, let's see, 117rds., 10FTF last 107rds ok, I don't think you need to be worried. It was just your first date, get to know her alittle better. ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline dctfn

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:37:04 AM »
R9SCarry,

My R9 should arrive soon and it is comforting to read these reports. There are enough of them to suggest that there is some break in period.

Just curious, does the manual speak of any break in period?

If not perhaps it would be beneficial to ease the minds of those that experience those initial FTF's. Your thoughts?

Thx, Fred

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »
Did the magsafe also function after this "break in"?

You pointed out that the GoldDot worked.

Offline malayalee747

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:06:05 PM »
I didn't try the magsafe after the "brake in"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:54:15 PM »
Fred - just scanned thru manual and I don't think any mention is made of break-in.  Not sure in fact if even SIG makes ref to that in their manuals.

In many cases of course most semi's will run fine out the box but overall it seems there is a need to make allowance for some break-in.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 11:24:17 AM »
I have rarely noticed that break-in was required for a new pistol, per the owner's manual.

The only exception I can remember is the Kahr product, where they come right out and say 200 rounds are needed  before you can declare break-in has occurred.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 11:55:58 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:45 PM »
I think most of my guns have called for a break in -- I know my Kimber did -- as do most rifles.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline dctfn

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »
I think for good measure prior to going to the range for my first shoot I'll work the slide numerous times to work the recoil spring in. Then lube with Militec, and off to the races. Speaking of lube, there is an interesting string on the Sig Forum that appears to have just about ended, you might find interesting.

Fred

http://sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/617108765

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »
I think for good measure prior to going to the range for my first shoot I'll work the slide numerous times to work the recoil spring in. Then lube with Militec, and off to the races. Speaking of lube, there is an interesting string on the Sig Forum that appears to have just about ended, you might find interesting.

Fred

http://sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/617108765

Yeah, that thread is pretty typical when it comes to the Militec-1 versus FP-10 versus Eezox, etc., etc. debates.
They pop up regularly on just about every gun related website I've ever been to.
Every brand has it's supporters and detractors, but Militec seems to generate the most heated debates. I like it personally, based on my own, unscientific comparison tests.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 10:04:31 AM »
I like Militec.

It was quite a surprise when my HK USP .45 manual said NOT to use oils which bond to the metal because they might harm the primers.

I took their advice, only on this one guy.  Besides, I don't put oil near the primer anyway.

Bill