Author Topic: Will any regular range ammo work?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline FairPlayInc

Will any regular range ammo work?
« on: November 11, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »
Hello all. I bit the bullet and bought an R9S yesterday. I couldnt wait to take it to the range this morning! I started with 50 rounds of winchester FMJ range ammo (not sure exactly what it was). It jammed constantly and in a variety. Sometimes not even feeding a bullet. Pull the trigger and nothing. Having to manually manipulate the slide to chamber next round. After 50 rounds of hell, I switched to Federal Hydrashocks. Out of 20 rounds 7 misfed. My local range does not have silvertips so I am going to order some and try them. I could not believe how awful this gun functioned. Is this normal? Do I have to use silvertips or gold dots at the range? More importantly, is there a chance I have a defective piece?

Thanks in Advance

-FairPlayInc

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Will any regular range ammo work?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »
Well, here we go again.

FairPlay, it is obvious you have not done a lot of reading on the board.  No problem, I understand that reading message boards can suck up a lot of time that most of us don't have.

Bottom Line:  if your gun will not function with either Speer GDHP 115gr or Especially Winchester 115gr Silvertips then you have some avenues open to you:

Send it back to Rohrbaugh for tweaking

OR  

Look for the thread in this same sub forum titled This is the Ammo that Works

OR/AND

If you get your R9 back from Rohrbaugh but still have some reliability issues, try the ammo listed in the above mentioned thread.

Don't give up!  Clean it and lube it.  Try another range session.  A break in helps trememdosly in many cases.

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »
Mike has said it all.  This gun is for carry and not a high range piece.  Follow Mike's advice.  I have never fired anything but gold dots and silvertips in 115gr and never had a problem.

Now if you use this ammo, and some of the others listed on the threads,  and still have problems after 100 rounds or so, it may need a look at.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 01:51:59 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »
This seems a little different.  Most problem reports concern feeding and extracting issues.  This seems like predominantly bad primer strikes, which is a new problem probably isolated to that one pistol.

When it misfires, is there a dimple on the primer from the firing pin?