Author Topic: Could This Lead To A Slide Crack?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Could This Lead To A Slide Crack?
« on: December 18, 2006, 04:11:57 AM »
Hey Guys - I was cleaning my pup tonight and it seemed that the rear left rail was thinner than the right.  I remembered seeing a post of a slide crack on the left and was thinking that it was just all in my head.
So I got my calipers out an measured - the left was .40" and the right was.43" all three times.

I know .03" is not a lot, but on a gun this size, and the straw has to break the camel's back at some point.

Or, my calipers/human error factor  could come into play.

Then I read on the "crack slide " post by Mountain man that the cracks are in the same place?

Could I be on to something?   with the defective barstock as well, maybe the CNC machine is off a little?

I'm obviously no engineer, these are just my observations and questions.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Could This Lead To A Slide Crack?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
Reinz,

Slide cracks are few but they have been reported on both sides and I think there have been a case or two with slice cracks on both sides at the same time.

Who knows if the measurements are normal or not.  There is really no way to tell if your gun will ever develop a slide crack.  I wouldn't worry as I believe Rohrbaugh would remidy that problem even if it was out of warranty.

Some have put several hundred rounds thru their R9 with no problems even though the R9 was not designed to be a plinker.  It is hard not to shoot such a magnificent gun though.  

If you have found a round that your gun likes, as in 100% functioning, then I would call it quits and clean regurlarly and shoot occasionally.

My opinions only,  Mike
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:10:46 PM by riffraff »
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:23:00 PM »
Reinz, I would not worry about it at all. There are many other things to worry about. If a problem happens call Rohrbaugh and they will take care of it for you. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:12:52 AM »
I'm not worried about it.  I just happened to notice the difference in thickness.  I'm the guy that always notices if someones front sight is bent/croooked.  Or if the picture on the wall is crooked when others don't pick up on it.  I guess it's part of my "A" personality  showing.

From reading other posts, I feel confident the Brothers will stand behind their product if there is a problem.
I am fortunate in that so far it seems my pup will shoot anything and I plan to shoot it occassionally.  And I will inspect it when I clean it.

No Worries

Reinz

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 10:56:32 AM »
Reinz:

Being one of those "Type A" personalities myself, I understand what you mean.  I just continue to be thankful that I am among those many of us owners whose R9 functions as it was intended to do.  And I encourage those who get the occasional "problem child" to give the factory a chance to solve the problem before giving up on this extraordinary design.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 02:16:47 PM »
I'm the same way.  Give the factory a chance to rectify any problems first, and don't bad mouth them in the process.

Now if everything goes south and you are totally mistreated, then that's another story and another issue.

Reinz